Analysis Worst All-Australian selection of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

JamesCroft89

Debutant
Apr 6, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Out of all the players who have been selected for the All-Australian team, which one stands out to you as the worst?

Selections like Leon Davis 2009, Shane Edwards 2018, Max Gawn 2019, Corey Enright 2016, Cyril Rioli 2012 come to mind.

For me, it's Darcy Byrne-Jones in 2020. There is a player who had absolutely no business being anywhere near All-Australian. Probably got selected because he had a mullet.

Just a disclaimer: this is not a troll thread. This is a thread to scrutinise past AA selections.

Out of all the players who have been selected for the All-Australian team, which one stands out to you as the worst?

Selections like Leon Davis 2009, Shane Edwards 2018, Max Gawn 2019, Corey Enright 2016, Cyril Rioli 2012 come to mind.

For me, it's Darcy Byrne-Jones in 2020. There is a player who had absolutely no business being anywhere near All-Australian. Probably got selected because he had a mullet.

Just a disclaimer: this is not a troll thread. This is a thread to scrutinise past AA selections.

Shithouse premise for a thread.

He was excellent last year. He's been awful this year. You can't judge his selection on the garbage put up this year. Maybe watch some games from last year.

Definitely Shane Edwards, one of the most anonymous players going around. Touches the ball 20+ times in a game and you hardly notice him.

I don’t think any of those are that bad tbh.

I’m totally in favour of picking players who are the best 1-2 for their position for the year. It’s not a lifetime achievement award and we don’t want it to be like the oscars where people miss 5 years in a row for good films then get rewarded for something ordinary because it is their ‘turn’. DBJ for example was the best 1-2 hbf last year. It was pretty unanimous at the time. He could never play again and that is still true.

where is gets contentious is when superstars are good, but 3-4 others at their position are better so they squeezed into a different spot ahead of the best wing or hff etc. or alternatively, when they try to reward a dominant team and just ending putting everyone including the water boy in the aa team - the year Geelong had 9 aa players was the perfect example. Probably 3-4 were the best at their position and the others were the hangers on getting an A for a group project.

Dean Cox shoehorned into a forward pocket in 2012.

Definitely Shane Edwards, one of the most anonymous players going around. Touches the ball 20+ times in a game and you hardly notice him.

That is a horrible call. 20 touches from Shane Edwards are deadly. He is so effective with his possessions. Probably the best hand baller I have seen play for Richmond.

1372112842157.jpg

Jobe Watson was selected in 2012 , the year when he was juicing on Thymosin Beta 4

He was rightfully stripped of the Brownlow Medal, but he was somehow allowed to retain his AA guernsey :confusedv1:
He should've been stripped of all his awards for that year

It's a stain on the history of the All-Australian awards that a banned drug cheat is named in the centre of the 2012 team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not selecting Jack Graham

Anyone who thinks Shane Edwards didn't deserve AA selection knows absolutely nothing about football.

Gun player. Flies under the radar for many, but if you know football you know Shed.

Anyone who thinks Shane Edwards didn't deserve AA selection knows absolutely nothing about football.
Come off it, mate

Edwards was the last one they picked. The final name on the interchange bench and the biggest shock selection of the night.
I think most Richmond fans were thrilled for Sheds, but pleasantly surprised he got in.

I'm not saying Edwards wasn't deserving, but nobody would've batted an eyelid if they'd left him out and picked Elliott Yeo instead.

Yeo was the runaway winner of the premiership team's best and fairest, but not good enough for the AA selectors:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Joel Selwood made it one year when I remember thinking the *?
Averaged 25 touches kicked 7 goals. 16 goal assists.
Apparently he was in the best handful of mids in the country 😂
Selwood has been a gun but that one on a platter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back