Worst coach sacking in VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

You've got to be joking, unfairest sacking of all time. You are talking about a man who coached Ocean Grove to 4 flags and during his time coaching Melbourne won 2 games (the 4 wins against GWS & GCS dont count). Tell me another coach who's schievments surpasses that of the great man ?
Has got South Barwon into the GF in his first season coaching them.
Legend

Most brutal was probably Harvey, I can't argue it wasn't the right move.

Need to do what's best for the club Lyon in over Harvey was massive and almost got them a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious, has anyone thought a coach has been sacked “well”, normally they’re either handled badly, or just done after sharks circling for ages. Few clubs do it well

Curious, has anyone thought a coach has been sacked “well”, normally they’re either handled badly, or just done after sharks circling for ages. Few clubs do it well
I think woosha was handled well, club legend - just looked cooked and had no more answers, got a tap in the shoulder and went.

Most brutal was probably Harvey, I can't argue it wasn't the right move.

Need to do what's best for the club Lyon in over Harvey was massive and almost got them a flag.
Freo made finals in 2010, reached a SF then missed finals in 2011 due to injury and was sacked in the off-season

Freo made finals in 2010, reached a SF then missed finals in 2011 due to injury and was sacked in the off-season
We also lost Chris Scott to Geelong in 2011 amd our form slipped away and we missed finals.........

What did Scott do in 2011?

Not a sacking but the Richmond-Brisbane Northey-Walls swap that happened because Richmond -namely through the coteries led on by 13 game "legend" Mal Brown - were once again hoodwinked by prodigal son Sheedy into thinking he was coming across at the end of his Essendon contract (like he always made out he was to bump up his price whenever he was negotiating a new contract with Essendon) and only offered Northey a one year extension after he led them to a prelim and their first final series in 13 years and Swooper basically told them to stick it has to be right up there.:$

Richmond made a prelim final for the first time in 13 years while Matthew Richardson was injured, sacked John Northey, and won just one final for the next two decades.

Knights was hopeless. Deserved to be sacked. Plenty of other errors, but that wasn't one of them. And the main sliding door moment was choosing Knights ahead of Hardwick to start with. Probably have another thread on worst coaching appointments.
He wasn't a good coach but we treated him incredibly poorly.

When we disgracefully got rid of Ratts. It's only now that we've finally started to recover from it.

That disgraceful decision set the club back ten years imo. I thought the Bombers treatment of Ben Rutten was pretty shabby as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back