Worst coach sacking in VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst in terms of how the team was performing, ousting Malthouse from Collingwood because McGuire was too proud/in love to let Nathan Buckley work for another club would have to be up there.
That decision cost the Pies the chance of building on that 2010 flag win imo.

Robert Walls - Carlton.

4 years at the club

3 finals series'
2 grand finals
1 premiership
sacked.

*Honorable Mention to Daniel Harris (Claremont) who was sacked in 2020 after losing a GF by 3 points...ouch
Wallsy is a Carlton legend, but the team was going backwards from that 1987 flag win imo.

He also lost the players, so i think the board at the time were correct to sack him. Things improved greatly in 1989 after Jezza took over as coach.

Wallsy is a Carlton legend, but the team was going backwards from that 1987 flag win imo.

He also lost the players, so i think the board at the time were correct to sack him. Things improved greatly in 1989 after Jezza took over as coach.
From 3rd in 88 to 8th in 89? Carlton didn't play finals again until 1993.

From 3rd in 88 to 8th in 89? Carlton didn't play finals again until 1993.
He lost the players so i think we were right to pull the trigger imo. We only won one game in 1989 pre the sacking of Walls.

We then went on a good run under Jezza that year, but he wasn't able to build on that in 1990.

Worst NON-sacking is ken Hinkley.

How he survived 2015-2019 is unexplainable. The fact that he's still there and still delivered donuts is just crazy.

He's just drawn level with Tom Hafey for games coached at one club. Hafey won 4 flags. Every other coach has won at least one flag and made 2 grand finals, most have many more than that. Daddy donuts hasn't even made a grand final.

He's an extreme statistical outlier of mediocrity, enabled by sycophantic media trolls like Korn, Caro and Nerdling Whately. Couple that with a perfect storm of an AFL controlled board and a chairman who is a breakfast tv host with absolutely zero idea about elite sports.

713 - Jock McHale (16 gf 7 prem)
634 - Kevin Sheedy (7 gf 4 prem)
415 - Dick Reynolds (12 gf 4 prem)
390 - Alistair Clarkson (5 gf 4 prem)
355 - David Parkin (5 gf 3 prem)
333 - Allan Jeans (3 gf 1 prem)
310 - Norm Smith (8 gf 6 prem)
307 - Damien Hardwick (3 gf 3 prem)
305 - Chris Scott (3 gf 2 prem)
304 - Reg Hickey (4 gf 3 prem)
302 - John Longmire (4 gf 1 prem)
299 - John Kennedy (5 gf 3 prem)
286 - Collingwood Malthouse (5 gf 1 prem)
281 - Perce Bentley (3 gf 2 prem)
281 - John Worsfold (2 gf 1 prem)
273 - Mark Williams (2 gf 1 prem)
272 - Phonse Kyne (6 gf 2 prem)
260 - Mark Thompson (3 gf 2 prem)
258 - Frank Hughes (6 gf 4 prem)
248 - Tom Hafey (5 gf 4 prem)
248 - Ken Hinkley (🍩🍩)

Coached the club to 6 flags. Was the reigning Premier. Opened the next year 8-0.
After 12 Rounds, were 9-3 and third on the ladder.
Sacked.
Club didn’t win another flag for 47 years.
Sacked for a week and then reinstated, coached for another two years after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst NON-sacking is ken Hinkley.

How he survived 2015-2019 is unexplainable. The fact that he's still there and still delivered donuts is just crazy.

He's just drawn level with Tom Hafey for games coached at one club. Hafey won 4 flags. Every other coach has won at least one flag and made 2 grand finals, most have many more than that. Daddy donuts hasn't even made a grand final.

He's an extreme statistical outlier of mediocrity, enabled by sycophantic media trolls like Korn, Caro and Nerdling Whately. Couple that with a perfect storm of an AFL controlled board and a chairman who is a breakfast tv host with absolutely zero idea about elite sports.

713 - Jock McHale (16 gf 7 prem)
634 - Kevin Sheedy (7 gf 4 prem)
415 - Dick Reynolds (12 gf 4 prem)
390 - Alistair Clarkson (5 gf 4 prem)
355 - David Parkin (5 gf 3 prem)
333 - Allan Jeans (3 gf 1 prem)
310 - Norm Smith (8 gf 6 prem)
307 - Damien Hardwick (3 gf 3 prem)
305 - Chris Scott (3 gf 2 prem)
304 - Reg Hickey (4 gf 3 prem)
302 - John Longmire (4 gf 1 prem)
299 - John Kennedy (5 gf 3 prem)
286 - Collingwood Malthouse (5 gf 1 prem)
281 - Perce Bentley (3 gf 2 prem)
281 - John Worsfold (2 gf 1 prem)
273 - Mark Williams (2 gf 1 prem)
272 - Phonse Kyne (6 gf 2 prem)
260 - Mark Thompson (3 gf 2 prem)
258 - Frank Hughes (6 gf 4 prem)
248 - Tom Hafey (5 gf 4 prem)
248 - Ken Hinkley (🍩🍩)
Yeah but what do you port fans really think of Hinkley?

Definitely Malthouse at Collingwood.

Also while not technically a sacking North apparently lowballing Pagan to the point he walked away was pretty poor. 2 flags in 3 years and 7 straight prelims, should have paid him what he wanted but I guess we were pretty strapped at the time. He's on record as saying he would have preferred to stay.

Norm Smith, easily
The board were idiots. The board were only relevant because Smith was great at his job, and not the other way around
The board destroyed that club for the next 20 years.

Eddie McGuire's love affair with Nathan Buckley was also poorly executed. McGuire should have let Buckley develop elsewhere. This obsession to keep great players at the club permanently is short sighted. To get rid of Malthouse when Collingwood had become a force was idiotic.
______
I am glad that James Kelly was at Essendon. I am glad Corey Enright has gone to St Kilda. I am glad that Steven King was at the Dogs, then GC. I am glad that Joel Corey went to the Dogs.

Many other players have benefited from leaving their original club to learn coaching elsewhere and understand that each club has its own methods and culture.

The most interesting coach in my lifetime is Robert Walls - because his experiences are so broad. He's been at a wealthy, proud club like Carlton. He was at Fitzroy and Brisbane where for different reasons, existence was a struggle. Finished at a club like Richmond, which is not exactly culturally secure at the time.

I think Collingwood's Mick Malthouse and St Kilda's Grant Thomas sackings cost both their respective teams premierships. When they were sacked, their respective teams had made consecutive finals and had a star list.

Worst in terms of how the team was performing, ousting Malthouse from Collingwood because McGuire was too proud/in love to let Nathan Buckley work for another club would have to be up there.

This is the one I will never understand. I follow the argument about succession plans and Collingwood rating Buckley as a future premiership coach, but at the time Collingwood had won the 2010 flag and were the best team in the AFL. Why on earth would you even consider changing the coach?

Can never prove it, and the Geelong fans have every right to disagree, but IMHO I believe the turmoil within the club probably cost them the 2011 flag, and who knows after that?

I also believe the worst appointment was Carlton taking on Malthouse who wanted to coach for all the wrong reasons. I feel he wanted to coach against Collingwood for revenge, rather than FOR Carlton.

Last edited:
He lost the players so i think we were right to pull the trigger imo. We only won one game in 1989 pre the sacking of Walls.

We then went on a good run under Jezza that year, but he wasn't able to build on that in 1990.
Walls has publicly stated that he deserved to get the sack, because after the Battle of Britain his relationship with the club's elite soured somewhat, and he became too demanding as a coach, and the players would have become sick and tired of it

Walls delivered a premiership. I would be happy to turn over coaches every 3 years if it meant a runners up, premiership and drop off over that period of time.

I actually think Walls' best coaching was at Fitzroy and Brisbane, where he didn't have the money or stability of Carlton.
To turn over Brisbane's ageing list so heavily and build the base of the Lions' dominance was a masterstroke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back