Worst Coach your club has ever had?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Knights by a fair margin I reckon. Had an unlucky coaching career perhaps due to the cattle he had, but his appointment at Hawthorn must have been about the budget price because Brisbane had gone nowhere with him in charge (terrible setup at Brisbane at the time though, not just players, but the entire administration), then he went down to Tassie and coached Davenport for a few years, which from memory included a spoon (but possible I misremember), then Hawthorn appoints him. Have seen him helping out at the club for things like family day in recent years, so it is good to see he has kept involved.

Agree totally. Also remember him coaching Davenport to a spoon. Also remember after a new coach took over they won the TFL premiership within 2 years after his departure.

Top player, not a great coach.

I wouldve thought it would be Kevin Bartlett for Richmond.
No way. He is the guy who rebuilt a rabble. His only problem was that the club and supporters were too impatient for the rebuild to come to fruition. Played all the kids. We had a ridiculously young team under KB. The 1995 finals side under Northey was basically KB's creation.

If he was misdirecting Neeld with a view to getting the job he was even more inept than I thought. After a dead cat bounce (our glorious 1 point victory over the Bulldogs) when we sacked Neeld, we slumped to lose every single game of the year, the Nadir being a pumping by GWS in Rd 22. North smashed us by 128 points, and we copped hidings in most games. If he was angling himself to succeed he was overzealous in the extreme in his sabotage of the MFC.
Hahaah..
I used to read his Craig Report on the Melbourne website.
I good friend of mine(demons fan)
Used to bemoan the gibberish he spoke and how out of touch he really was.
Yes. We will never know.
It did seem blatantly odvious.
Remember when he was flying up to Brisbane shopping himself for Michael Voss's vacant job whilst coaching Melbourne all the while proclaiming that he wasn't sure if he was ready to coach again.?

As u would know, but im just saying
Didnt even know he was sacked until the Journo's told him at the conference!

Hmmn .... had forgotten about the entitled tory duffer, Damien Drum. He might surpass all others (excluding Bomber and the Hird who are special k cases)

For me I can't choose between Robert Walls and Danny Frawley. Walls took a competitive list under Northey in 95 to mediocrity very quick and Frawley started well but questionable recruiting decisions and game plan put us in a hole for a long time. Interested to see other supporters opinions on who was their worst coach of all time and why.
Came here to say Walls by a country mile...but Plough was also pretty terrible for us, worse than Spud in my opinion

Hmmn .... had forgotten about the entitled tory duffer, Damien Drum. He might surpass all others (excluding Bomber and the Hird who are special k cases)
If you could stage a match with stars everywhere on both teams, it would be interesting to see Drum and Neeld go head to head in the box. Neither of them could coach their arse to fart.

Ken Judge is the worse results based but that little shitzen period landed us out next flag.

Somewhat controversial but I’d Worsefold is our worst given the keys he was given. Already had Kerr, Cox, Embly, Judd, Glass and cousins at the club when he arrived. Only eeked out one flag with a once in a generation kind of midfield. Ignored off field problems that came back to bite on the ass. As well as been a tactically inept coach and developing the massive boys culture that preceded the party boi era. Great leader of man and grateful for the flag but massively underwhelming in the grand scheme of things
ballzy comment, should never be regarded as one of our worst coaches, but there is a lot here I agree with...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alan Joyce. One only need watch the doco “Year of the Dog” to see the proof...

That is harsh on Joyce who I would say was moreso just not a good fit for that club at the time. The guy was always a professional. YOTD just highlighted a new breed of coach coming through the ranks in the mid/90s (ie Wallace), whereas Joyce had done his dash.

Anyway, you guys also had Peter Rhode, I’m not sure he had any idea what he was doing. ;)

Robert Walls and Allen Jeans are my nominations for Richmond.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

WC with slim pickings in this topic. 6 coaches, 3 of them premiership winners.

The remaining three -
Ron Alexander, inaugural coach, lasted one year and had an 11-11 record from memory.
John Todd. 2 seasons, one of which included the club's first finals appearance. Had a shocker in the following year, replaced by Malthouse.
Ken Judge. 2 seasons, very poor period for the club, no finals. So the rumours go, he highlighted some "cultural issues", got the flick.

I'd have to go with Judgey. Was never the right fit, for whatever reasons, and had the worst record of the 3.

First season I followed Ian Stewart was coach.
Six or seven weeks into season he was gone. All vague as to what happened as was just a kid. Still to this day, do not know exactly what went down but bad blood between coach Ian Stewart and captain Robert Walls. I believe at one point Walls might even have had a go at coach physically. Walls left in the season to Fitzroy as could not stay with him and coach such bad blood. Next thing is Stewart gone as we need a new coach and near bottom of ladder. Famously Jezza too over reluctantly as captain-coach. North were reigning premiers and Collingwood runners up. Within weeks of taking over Jezza had us beat both teams. Amazing first season as little kid to follow. We ended up making top 5 after such poor start to season and even won one final. Next season Jezza took us to premiership where only time we did not score over 100 was a few muddy wet days. Then he resigns and his old mate Percy Jones took over and that gap year we did not win premiership. Percy Jones was more of a clown than coach to me and given we won 3 premierships around the seasons he was coach, Percy has to rate as one of our worst coaches. Having said that, Ian Stewart and Mick Malthouse is hard to top as worst. But I must admit as much as could not stand Malthouse coach I think Pagan was even worse when think it all through.

Everyone besides sheedy. since no one else has won us a final in my lifetime.
Hird era was pretty tough though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back