Worst Coach your club has ever had?

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Craig edges out Robert Shaw. Honourable mention to Brenton Sanderson

How does Craig edge out, Shaw? I'm honestly curious. I'd have daylight, Ayres and more daylight before Craig.

Craig had his faults, no doubt about it, but I don't think he's the worst.

Sanderson. The brand of footy he had a us playing post 2012 was putrid.

People would probably expect us to say Robert Shaw but he built the list that won us those flags. Blighty came in, cut some of the fat and we went back to back.

Surely the coach who introduced the ‘structures’ into the AFL vernacular.

Seriously though, although he didn’t coach an AFL/VFL side Don Scott must rate a special mention. Coached South Adelaide for six inglorious games for a lamentable 0-6 scoreline before getting the lemonade and sars.

Infamous, for his brutal training regimes in SA which proved a spectacular failure he promptly introduced the same regime at Donvale and subsequently sent them into a tailspin too. It seem sadism is a hard habit to kick.

How does Craig edge out, Shaw? I'm honestly curious. I'd have daylight, Ayres and more daylight before Craig.

Craig had his faults, no doubt about it, but I don't think he's the worst.

We'd have won a flag in the 00's had we had anyone else coaching us. Then there was the bizarre choice of making VB captain. VB was about as inspiring as watching paint dry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't around with Shaw but out of Ayres, Craig, Sando, Walsh and Pyke then easily Sando. He lost the players completely.

Craig was different which I liked, but overworked the players and then the game passed him.

Pyke has a business background which very applicable into coaching but I wish he was a bit more ruthless at selection.

All except Walsh took us to a prelim but there were signs in all years that we weren't cut out to be champions.

Surely the coach who introduced the ‘structures’ into the AFL vernacular.

Seriously though, although he didn’t coach an AFL/VFL side Don Scott must rate a special mention. Coached South Adelaide for six inglorious games for a lamentable 0-6 scoreline before getting the lemonade and sars.

Infamous, for his brutal training regimes in SA which proved a spectacular failure he promptly introduced the same regime at Donvale and subsequently sent them into a tailspin too. It seem sadism is a hard habit to kick.
+Worst commentator of all time.Painful to listen to

Most coaches are generally as good as their list. Never seen a bad premiership coach and also never seen a good coach come last. There is always better coaches than others but you will never convince me that if Mark Neeld had Hawthorns list that he would not of been successful.

I agree with you on lists, but Woosha both won a premiership and finished last. ;)

It has to be Damian Drum. Anyone who says Neesham doesn't know a great deal about footy.

Neesham got the Dockers 8 wins in their first season when pretty much all of the pundits out there said he'd get zero.
This was with a squad of players that were mostly WAFL product, only some with AFL experience.
Getting an AFL team up and running is not an easy thing to do and I think the result in their first years was not too bad.
The less said about their attempts at recruiting some subsequently very good/famous players the better. I can only imagine that being in the big time all of a sudden and possibly the AFL brand cocaine went to their heads a bit.

I wasn't around with Shaw but out of Ayres, Craig, Sando, Walsh and Pyke then easily Sando. He lost the players completely.

Craig was different which I liked, but overworked the players and then the game passed him.

Pyke has a business background which very applicable into coaching but I wish he was a bit more ruthless at selection.

All except Walsh took us to a prelim but there were signs in all years that we weren't cut out to be champions.

Walshy would've had us in a Prelim as well - if only...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back