Worst Coach your club has ever had?

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be Wallace in my lifetime

Nevermind W/L ratios - his weekly spin culminating in a player mutiny led by Jake King was about as embarrassing as it gets
Never heard about the player mutiny! What happened?

Never heard about the player mutiny! What happened?

Hutchy jumped out of a garbage bin near a players house and sprung Jake King and a few others sheepishly leaving a secret meeting hoping to usurp Terry Wallace

I remember Garry Lyon couldn't stop laughing on the Footy Show

It is probably floating around YouTube somewhere

Choco Williams
Interesting. Authoritarian by reputation. He was the day to day coach for us in the early years. Coincidently I was listening to an in depth interview with Dylan Shiel today. He said he was afraid to make eye contact with him for 6 weeks after he found out he was humping his daughter

No.

He took us to two grandfnals. Won one. Had us playing finals 8 of 12 seasons. Rebuilt a list and got it back to a prelim in 2011. No was his he our worst coach.
Leon Cameron will be viewed similarly if he doesn’t win a flag with GWS I do agree he isn’t the worse. But given what transpired easily the most disappointing lookin back for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me I can't choose between Robert Walls and Danny Frawley. Walls took a competitive list under Northey in 95 to mediocrity very quick and Frawley started well but questionable recruiting decisions and game plan put us in a hole for a long time. Interested to see other supporters opinions on who was their worst coach of all time and why.

Walls was a good coach, but an object lesson in not appointing a guy who hates your club on the hope that they'd manage to be professional enough to get over it. He wasn't and didn't.

Frawley....Awful coach, and we always knew he was, but our reputation for sacking coaches was so bad at the time that he was the best we could get (Bomber Thompson, even though he was an assistant at the time, refused to even speak with us). Sticking with him to the grim death of his contract was done purely as a signal that we'd changed so a 'serious' coach would consider us. (sure, we ended up with Wallace, but at the time of his appointment 'everyone' thought he was a good coach).

Most coaches are generally as good as their list. Never seen a bad premiership coach and also never seen a good coach come last. There is always better coaches than others but you will never convince me that if Mark Neeld had Hawthorns list that he would not of been successful.
There’s a club worth of supporters willing to argue that point with you til Kingdom Come mate...

Choco Williams

04gf.jpg

There’s a club worth of supporters willing to argue that point with you til Kingdom Come mate...

Well, it's Melbourne, so really it's only half a club's worth of supporters....but we get your point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back