Moved Thread Worst commentator in footy

Who is the worst commentator?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie Pelican Chin is a bias bore

Basil Faulty is a try hard dennis cometti

david king is a know it all

I think Eddie is a great caller, has genuine passion for the game.

Agreed, Eddie is one of the better callers going around and would be close to my favourite.

Surprised Alaistair Lynch hasn't had a mention, always sounds like his mind is catching up with what he is trying to say and literally stumbles his way through the call.

Agreed, Eddie is one of the better callers going around and would be close to my favourite.

Surprised Alaistair Lynch hasn't had a mention, always sounds like his mind is catching up with what he is trying to say and literally stumbles his way through the call.
i actually dont mind eddie, as long as its nothing to do with collingwood!

can i ad the guy from the NRL ray warren, not that i watch the NRL but the odd state of origin game, he is terrible, he seems to think that the louder he screams the more interesting the game gets

BT only works on radio and when he called with JB, Garry, Chief and Spud. They clicked. Why? Because JB and co's ego made BT the more professional and calmer of the *******s, suiting him perfectly.
BT with Luke Darcy is just disgusting. Unfortunately for Richo and Lingy it makes them all look terrible. Sam Lane added in and we have the worst set up in history.
Basil and Hamish as a combo is just worse. How a whole day of footy can be destroyed by a commentary team defies belief. Doesnt matter if your team loses or even plays. Such a bland, poor and excruciating line up. Tom Harley has to be on this list also. So neutral and comes off like a pussy. His opinion is as generic as they come.
The combo of Bruce and Dennis has not worked 8 years and will continue not to work. You dont put two head callers together because they will try to outdo one another and its gotten to this. Who can come up with the better smartass comment. Bruce is past it anyway. We need a fresher caller in with some youth and proper enthusiasm for the game not for any indigenous footballer. Sandy would have worked so well with either as a number 2 but 7 didnt jump at the chance when Sandy came calling.
Fox getting Sandy across now allows them to have the 3 leading commentators in the business. That being Huddo, Eddie and Sandy. Dwayne Russel and Matt Campbell obviously let us down. Makes us all appreciate Clinton Grybas just as much. Atleast now though whenever a combination of Sandy/Huddo/Eddie is on the coverage will be excellent. Thankyou Foxfooty.
FWIW though we still have to put up with Riccciuto and Healy.

The thing that irritates me about lynch is his butchering of the english language ... specifically the constant dropping of g's ... doin ... thinkin ... kickin ...

Once you realise how often he does it, its really hard to ignore.

I want to vote for 'all except Huddo and Eddie' out of that list ...

Eddie's great, when he doesn't feel the need to remind us that he's Eddie McGuire, president of the Collingwood Football Club. Or when he feels the need to get into some mindless club v club banter with a fellow commentator, whose allegiances lie with another team (complete with his weird Beavis and Butthead giggle). When he sticks to just calling the game, he's certainly up there with the best.

BT only works on radio and when he called with JB, Garry, Chief and Spud. They clicked. Why? Because JB and co's ego made BT the more professional and calmer of the *******s, suiting him perfectly.

Well, that, and it was radio, which meant people who weren't at the game couldn't pick up on just how many times he didn't have a clue which player was which.

Tom Harley has to be on this list also. So neutral and comes off like a pussy. His opinion is as generic as they come.

Agree with pretty much your entire post but I reckon that Tom Harley is particularly disappointing. Listening to his special comments, it is hard to believe that he is a two-time premiership captain. Just so bland, neutral and uninspiring.

why do all the special commentators on fox footy feel the need to justify their huge salaries by talking so much they contradict themselves .... king, johnson, lynch

Basil and Hamish as a combo is just worse. How a whole day of footy can be destroyed by a commentary team defies belief. Doesnt matter if your team loses or even plays. Such a bland, poor and excruciating line up.

Baz and Ham on a Saturday afternoon make me glad that there's both a mute button and a off button on my television.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does BT really work on radio though? Part of what makes his TV commentary so horrible is that you can see the blatant mistakes he's making such as forgetting players' names as if he were trying to win a contest.

With radio we don't necessarily have the vision so we can't tell what he's stuffing up so it sounds like he's competent. Doubtful that he can remember names so vividly when commentating on radio and then all of a sudden forget them when on TV.

Does BT really work on radio though? Part of what makes his TV commentary so horrible is that you can see the blatant mistakes he's making such as forgetting players' names as if he were trying to win a contest.

With radio we don't necessarily have the vision so we can't tell what he's stuffing up so it sounds like he's competent. Doubtful that he can remember names so vividly when commentating on radio and then all of a sudden forget them when on TV.
Hes been found out thats for sure. The only part of him that worked for radio was his crude humor entertainment because we had nothing to watch just listen.

Brayshaw is atrocious in all media forms. D Russell left any considered analysis he possessed back at the ABC. Drew Morphert appears to have the same "job for life" arrangement that Packer gave Tony Greig.

It HAS to be Basil. One of the best moments of Essendon's season was Ryder's late goal to put us infront against the Dockers and we got one of the worst pieces of commentary to go with it, in a completely non chalant tone "Dempsey turns around, it's not dempsey it's ryyyder".

Omg it almost ruined it for me.
Basil is a terribly biased caller. Now lots are , but Basil will find something good about a west Aussie side even if they are a hundred goals down.

As bad as Taylor may be, Bruce's repetition and exaggeration annoys more than any other commentator.

I'll second or third the Anthony Hudson support from above. I doubt anyone could even tell he barracked for Geelong if he never told anyone.

I think the problem is that you have guys like too many blokes trying to be the funny guy or childish one of the group like Bruce in the 90's and it makes the gamelook like its being called by sesame street. On top of that what annoyed me at the end of last year and Eddie decided to break the news of the saints players that were retiring. I think when Milne, Blake and Kosi have played the game as long as they have they should have the right to formally announce their own retirement.

90's commentary was fairly much the pinnacle. Watch those games and wonder how the commentary has fallen so far.

Think from 2002 onwards, it declined, and unfortunately when seven got the rights back in 07 they had declined to s**t and so did their commentary.

I personally enjoyed the commentry in the 66 final when something funny happened they would have a chuckle then they would move on but best of all they would just call the game.

Back