Discussion Worst ever jumper clashes

Remove this Banner Ad

In the early years of the Brisbane Bears (1987-1991) they wore a much-maligned maroon and gold jumper which featured a triangular BB emblem in the shape of Queensland on the front. The Bears' home jumper was gold with maroon emblem, numbers and trimmings, and this was inversed for when the Bears played away, with a maroon jumper with gold emblem, numbers and trimmings.

Brisbane's away jumper clashed with Hawthorn badly enough, but had the Bears and Hawks played in Queensland with Brisbane wearing the home jumper, this would have been a nightmare. Does anyone know what happened when the Hawks played the Bears at Carrara during this time?

The rule about whoever makes the clash resolves the clash was only changed in 2007 to whoever is listed as the Home team decides.

The rule about whoever makes the clash resolves the clash was only changed in 2007 to whoever is listed as the Home team decides.

Holy Moly Capper on a lead.

Loved those old Bears sets, i got one of yours but yellow and maroon.

Or, if it's a Pies home game, you lot should wear your clash. Just like you should have in the 2011 SF.

I agree with this in almost all cases, but the tradition of a Carlton/Collingwood game is worth preserving in my view, so the 'Pies in white and the Blues in navy just makes sense seeing as you can have both teams in traditional colours and avoid any potential clash.

I agree with this in almost all cases, but the tradition of a Carlton/Collingwood game is worth preserving in my view, so the 'Pies in white and the Blues in navy just makes sense seeing as you can have both teams in traditional colours and avoid any potential clash.
Thus bringing a new double-standard into the AFL...

At least this one work against Collingwood :p

Didn't freo opt to wear their clash kit in the gf?
They wore their white kit. It's worn in every away game except vs Sydney. I don't consider it a "clash" kit as such coz they wear it in almost half their games. Options for GF were purple tops and white shors (not considered by Freo as a "kit" but a mix of their purple and white kits) or their all-white kit. Went with the option that was an actual Freo kit over the mish-mash option.

the magpies should wear their traditional jumper (black nos. on a white background) in all games against Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, Port Adelaide

the magpies should wear their traditional jumper (black nos. on a white background) in all games against Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, Port Adelaide
Or all should be allowed to wear what they want in home matches and the away team can get organised and wear something that doesn't clash. Means everyone can wear what they want provided there is no clash, and there's a fair and equal way of making sure clashes are removed.
Collingwood has as much right to wear black with white stripes as Geelong would have to change to navy with white stripes.

Or all should be allowed to wear what they want in home matches and the away team can get organised and wear something that doesn't clash. Means everyone can wear what they want provided there is no clash, and there's a fair and equal way of making sure clashes are removed.
Collingwood has as much right to wear black with white stripes as Geelong would have to change to navy with white stripes.

or if the afl had any balls they would have stop collingwood changing their jumper 10 or so years ago

or if the afl had any balls they would have stop collingwood changing their jumper 10 or so years ago
Why?
They didn't create a jumper that looked like Essendon or St Kilda or anyone else. A Geelong jumper turned navy with white stripes wouldn't look like Carlton, it would just have more navy which would mean you wouldn't want both teams wearing their main jumpers at the same time.
Do what you like so long as it doesn't actually look like another team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?
They didn't create a jumper that looked like Essendon or St Kilda or anyone else. A Geelong jumper turned navy with white stripes wouldn't look like Carlton, it would just have more navy which would mean you wouldn't want both teams wearing their main jumpers at the same time.

r u kidding ... when collingwood wore their traditional jumper there was no clash with the saints (refer 66 gf).... since the magpies changed there is a massive clash

r u kidding ... when collingwood wore their traditional jumper there was no clash with the saints (refer 66 gf).... since the magpies changed there is a massive clash
Yes. But in this photo:
images

You can tell which is Collingwood and which is St Kilda (i really really hope!)
Collingwood didn't create a jumper which looks like St Kilda. They just (as I stated in the Geelong/Carlton example) made a jumper which had a lot of common colour. Which would mean you wouldn't want both teams wearing their main jumper in the same game. Hence when it's a Collingwood home game, St Kilda wear a clash top.

If North Melbourne decided to make their royal with white stripes kit their main kit, we wouldn't get it confused on the hanger at Rebel Sport with a Bulldogs guernsey. If we did, then there's an issue with marketing. But you wouldn't want North in all royal blue vs Bulldogs in same in a match.

Yes. But in this photo:
images

I do not think its great distinction ... and the front of the jumper is only half the clash .... from the back both clubs now have white nos and black backgrounds where as the traditional magpies jumper was the reverse .... made it much easier to watch when the players were on the other side of the ground

technically you are right ... the home team should wear the jumper of choice and the away team has to avoid the clash ... however in the case of carlton v collingwood or collingwood v st kilda there was never a clash until the magpies changed their jumper ...when the vic clubs play each other I like to see them all wearing their traditional jumpers

the white jumper with the black stripes is the jumper the club has worn for a majority of its history, it's the one that older footy fans grew up loving/hating... regardless who you follow, it was an iconic jumper, i was actually disappointed with the change in 2001... yes, they have brought it back as a clash jumper, but the current day's version of the white jumper is not quite the same as the stripes don't go all the way over the shoulders like the old ones do

old white jumper

Collingwood-1998.gif

current white jumper

Collingwood-Away-2013.gif

the reason for the switch to the black jumper in 2001 was that the club realized that if they inverted the colours, they whole jumper would match the branding of Adidas, which came on board as their new jumper sponsor, and they had worn a similar jumper during the club's early years too

I believe that is one of those questions philosophers have asked themselves for years.
It ranks alongside 'what is the sound of one hand clapping?' and 'if a tree falls in the forest, and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?' And the slightly less well known, 'if a married man makes a decision, and his wife doesn't realise that he has, is he still wrong?'

LOL! :thumbsu:.

Love it.

1977 GF springs to mind - muddy MCG and didn't a Collingwood player handball straight to David Dench who kicked an easy goal to help force the draw.

The 2004 WB v WCE example is a shocker too.

PS 4321 unfortunately Glenelg did have that awful yellow-with-white-number clash guernsey a couple of seasons ago :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back