Roast Worst Geelong loss you have experienced as a fan

Worst Cats loss you have experienced as a fan?

• Total voters
Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Toronto Blue Jays
Tonight I feel like I don't want to look at a football till next march, I don't even want to see a ******* hoop, horizontal line or piece of grass. I just want to break everything in sight. I ******* hate this feeling.

I had it when we lost the 13 prelim and 05 semi too. I can't identify which has been worse but in the moment I'll say this.

After the 08 grannie I could still say "see you next year " and knew we were still capable and could get another. These ones make you question if you even want there to be a next year. ******* deflating

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Tonight was kind of meh for me.

Which year did we lose to the Hawks in a Prelim? 2013? 20-something up at 3QT. That one hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? 2012? I feel nothing about that.
It felt like such a waste. We still had so much of our 2011 team together. It was the Dockers at the G. It was the surest of things and it was one of the most frustrating games to attend for that reason.

Plus it marks the start of the "slow starts in finals" that we never seem to be able to shake

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
2008 GF was the won that hurt most, especially given that I flew back from the UK the day before to watch it :mad:

1995 Grand Final has to be up there as one of the worst? Thankfully I was in Greece and didn't watch it at the time. I still haven't watched it, lol.

Old_Man_James

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm actually surprised 2008 gets the votes it does.

After enduring a 44 year drought, I was very dissapointed but still stoked that we won the year before.

Now compare that to the 2005 semi final loss, that day it dawned on me that I may die before ever seeing us win a grand final.

I wasn't at the 08 gf, so not picking that.

2010 preliminary was painful at the time but i do remember after halftime almost laughing and deciding to sit back, watch the Pies at their best and "enjoy" watching the match in front of me rather than continue to be pissed off

2Knights

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Last game of 2001 season, vs Carlton. Buddha Hocking's final game. Cats gave up playing football after 1/4 time and went the biff. Didn't score a goal in last 3 quarters. Never been so ashamed of a Geelong football team.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
1. 2008 GF (I'll never forgive this one)
2. 2013 PF (Didn't make me angry at all like 2008; for me this one was more in the "heartbreaking" genre of losses, inasmuch as we had the odds stacked against us for various reasons and almost pulled it off. Plus I freaking loved that 2013 team and I still maintain our best footy that year was better than anyone else's)
3. 2017 PF (On a purely "indignant with rage at the injustice of Richmond even getting the opportunity to have this 'special night for the Tigers' when it was our home game" basis, this one makes the top three)
4. 2012 EF (Never thought we were contenders in 2012, we weren't even close tbh, but this was a pathetic effort)
5. 2010 PF (If I'm honest I knew we'd lose the game as Collingwood had perfected a game style set up to negate us, but the ultra-predictable way it all played out annoyed the hell out of me)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Have a crack. Tonight would be top 3 for me.

Unfortunately not even close..probably some think it was because they had more faith than I .. that we were capable of doing well. I have been on the finals is what counts all year... and yet again CS has ploughed our club into a mire of non scoring insipidness.
Yet... getting beaten in a GF is always worse..getting beaten in PFs come second. 08 when we expected to win and had faith after the year before ..was just about the worst.2010 Pf was worse than tonight by a fair margin.. and the 1995 GF was horrid. Last years Swans game was over before 1/4 time thats crook ..and im sure there are others. It all gets back to expectation and tonight did not surprise me at all.

As in our voting for best player, 5 being worst,
5. 2008 GF- We were meant to be unbackable, one loss all year. And on my birthday.
4. 1995 GF- after trouncing our 2 opponents in lead up finals, finally? No way, abysmal performance, lost in Q1.
3. 1969 semi v Tigers. Demoralising experience for a young kid. Nearly turned me off footy
2. 2001 rd 22 v Blues, The Milburn incident. More reports after quarter time than scores, truly. Embarrassing.
1. 1989 GF- witnessing 3 GF losses by Geelong in one day will never be erased from my memory. Even if all 3 losses amounted to a total of only 9 points.

Tonight, not so distraught. Tigers are due their time at the top again, we were fortunate to finish top 2. That is all.

hokee

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It's one of the worst because Scott has no idea what final footy is about. It's about intensity Nd pressure which I saw none during the game

Back