Opinion Worst GF entertainment in history

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call, they really are a Coldplay tribute band.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app
They were legit once but their heavy rock morphed into mainstream soft rock.

Grand final entertainment was suitably inoffensive, which is what it has to be. I wish it could be a little better but at least it didn’t suck. Don’t know why they had Birds covering Silverchair though, makes no sense at all.

Was better than last years Gabba snorefest, that featured soft wispy vocals with lifeless performances. Except for that kids group that performed at halftime, they had energy but booked the wrong venue.

That is the most accurate description of Sheppard I have ever seen.

Can't believe Birds of Tokyo didn't even do I'd Go With You Anywhere. It's so much more upbeat and suits the occasion!

Probably because they couldn't re-interpret the song to make it about frontline hospital workers, like they could with Lanterns or Unbreakable (which, fun fact, was originally written as the theme song for the 2018 Invictus Games)

Perth has put on very safe, mainstream, and vanilla entertainment this grand final. No major gaffes, but wallpaper, time killing entertainment. Low risk, low reward.

Good on them. It’s a tidy patch of grass and good contest.

They had 4/5 weeks to put something together. The fact they had anything is a pretty good effort.

That said - if you think Melbourne's GF entertainment offering in the past has been non-vanilla in comparison considering the amount of time they have to plan it they then you're probably a vanilla individual yourself.
All AFL entertainment is safe and vanilla, always has been.
At least Meatloaf created a talking point...

no energy from Birds of Tokyo, you need to move around a bit for stadium shows, not just stand there hugging the mike with both hands.

At least gyrate a little.

Baker Boy and the apt occasion of Lanterns at dusk were the only real highlights for me, I get sick of the same safe period anthems each year. The ground itself made up for it though, well suited to such an occasion.

It was weird that there was so many covers, The Killers did a Midnight Oil cover back in 2017 which was a nod to Australia so it made sense and they mostly played their own hits as well.

I don't get why you would have Birds of Tokyo doing a Silverchair cover and Eskimo Joe doing an INXS cover when they only played a couple of songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found the entertainment pretty unremarkable, but then I could say that about every GF I've watched on TV/attended. I also wouldn't go and see Birds of Tokyo if they were playing, either. That Lanterns was released in 2014 is actually a pretty recent song for an AFL GF.

Every year people make a big deal about the GF entertainment, and every year it's pretty generic non-offensive stuff that only goes for a few minutes anyway. It's not the Super Bowl where hundreds of millions around the globe tune in for the halftime show.

That explains that one. Reckon they should have included Spacey Jane as emerging talent and Tim Minchin as a bit quirky but globally known.

There was a push for Southern River Band but they aren't known enough.

Optus Stadium is a good entertainment venue with state of the art lighting and AV but I don't think a 3 song set from Birds of Tokyo is going to whip the crowd into a frenzy the way just playing Thunderstruck through an iPod does.

Tame impala should have, would have killed it..
Honestly not sure he'd want to mime along to a greatest hits medley of his songs and sing a few bars of "holy grail" for a football match. It's not like he needs the cash.

There was a push for Southern River Band but they aren't known enough.

Optus Stadium is a good entertainment venue with state of the art lighting and AV but I don't think a 3 song set from Birds of Tokyo is going to whip the crowd into a frenzy the way just playing Thunderstruck through an iPod does.
True, was surprised they only got three songs. But they aren’t changing the length of the break. As you say, it’s not the Super Bowl, where the entertainment is a thing in and of itself.

True, was surprised they only got three songs. But they aren’t changing the length of the break. As you say, it’s not the Super Bowl, where the entertainment is a thing in and of itself.

They had a countdown timer on the scoreboard during the breaks, and QT/HT/3QT really aren't that long. With 20 minutes at half time a lot of people just want to get up and stretch their legs, go for a piss, queue for a beer etc.

If you are going to have a big name act maybe it makes sense to have them play a couple of songs before the game, at half time and then after?

They all have to do the mandatory cover song now by the looks of it. It worked when the killers did it as it was a nod from an international act to Aussie culture and a great Aussie band.

If they want sing a long covers, honestly just get a cover band to play a few pub classics.

As for last night, I thought the pregame was just ok, but half time was awful.

This year's was okay, not outstanding but not bad. Love Eskimo Joe and don't mind Birds of Tokyo, mainstream as they've become. I don't find gf performances generally particularly exception anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back