Remove this Banner Ad

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
I didn't get it. Why have these aussie artists come out and not even play their own songs? Would've much rather hear John Butler belt out Better Then or one of his many songs, and surely the triple J collective in the crowd would've liked Baker Boy and Stella Donnelly doing their own songs. Just thought it was a perfect example to show the country what great artists we have in this country and then the AFL make them go and sing covers. Silly.

Tyler Hodges

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76'ers
I thought it was pretty great as far as GF entertainment goes. Land Down Under gave me chills at the ground, literally everyone was singing along. Spewing there was no Zebra though.

cactuscall

michaelangelo is a party dude
Jul 26, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
^They really should've shipped one over from Perth Zoo for the day.

I thought this was so well done though, it had something special about it. Colin Hay still sounds so good.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Overall it was horrid. Least Land Down Under was not as horrible as rest of entertainment. Felt like was some high school musical gone wrong for most of the other stuff. I'd rather be getting something to eat or drink and be in line so could miss it if that all they going to dish up.
The national anthem, oh god, it was as bad as grand final I went to in 1993, where I thought it was a comedy skit and something from Monty Python but the opera singer was actually just trying their best. Please, never again.

Half time entertainment just does not work as it a football grand final. The mood is about talking about first half, not music for 15 minutes to try to escape from the footy. I remember 1986 grand final I went to, they had some big Olympics type entertainment of time going on, and just thought, it half time why even do this. They never did it again but they tried some half time entertainment again because it was dark and had some lights but at end of day , it a football game and it half time. Be what you are, a football game and enough with trying to do something for people not into football. It's half time, if you at the game, it time to talk with friends, family or strangers in line as you wait to get something to eat or drink. Or even listen to the radio commentary take on first half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
The Super Bowl halftime show usually goes on for approx 12 minutes. Big names of hip hop at this season’s event after The Weeknd last season. All the performers are from SoCal

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
AFL: "We'll roll out some old aussie acts and instead of playing their own songs which everyone knows, they can play covers and it will be the worst entertainment ever".....

NRL: "Hold my beer"

What were they thinking

Gordon Farkas

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Meatloaf although its got a so bad its funny feel to it now. Dale Lewis and Tones and I were total crap.

I cant believe all the hate poor old Angry and the Batmobile is getting. I reckon they should re do it for the 31st anniversary next year!!!

Meatloaf and Angry Anderson always get mentioned as ‘worst ever’. I actually missed them both, despite being at both games.

At the 1991 GF Angry Anderson was at half time. As a kid, I was out the back queuing up to buy a pie so missed the whole thing. (Queues were always long at Waverley at big games; and couldn’t GAF about the ‘entertainment’ anyway).

At the 2011 GF as a grown up, I got to the G just in time to see the teams run out (intentionally so) and didn’t care what had preceded them, so never saw Meatloaf.

Every time someone mentions ‘the Batmobile Grand Final’ or ‘the Meatloaf Grand Final’ I just give them a blank look. I am fortunate to live in a parallel football universe in which neither of them ever happened.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I've always got the impression from the presentation and audio mixing that it seems like the AFL/NRL GF entertainment is more catered to the crowd, whereas the Super Bowl is catered to the TV audience.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Except for this

Given this was the replay and he had just a couple of days to presumably rehearse. I thought he was great - it might be clouded by the fact I'm on a bit of a Commodores binge at the moment.

Ritchie is just the consumate professional. People should watch this guy to see how a great performer can bring the energy even in outdoor arenas and settings such as this. It helps he has catchy as hell songs too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back