Worst gig you've ever been to.

Remove this Banner Ad

U2 Mcg on the ground...1994 or something....couldn't see Jack s**t. Watched it all on the screens. Should a stayed home.

Was redeemed in 2008 when three people from the front in the mosh pit.

There are mosh pits at U2 gigs?

Went to Dogg Pound gig a few years back that was supposed to be Daz & Kurupt. From the time we go there I knew something was up when some bloke kept coming on stage pumping up the crowd with are you ready to Kurupt and Tha Dogg Pound.

Turns out Daz was a no show and Kurupt got on stage and rapped over full tracks not instrumentals. And to say he rapped over them would be a over statement as he hardly rapped and let the track just play. He also spent about a third of the show playing his favourite songs from artists I and the rest of the crowd could give 2 *s about.

Would have to be a very half arsed show to be worst than that.

Two that stand out for me in a sea of thousands are:-
The Offspring in the late 90s. Free ticket that I should have turned down.
First Aid Kit a few years ago. I've never felt so uncool. Went with a few fans of the band and discovered that the rest of the Palais was teenage girls with their dads on daddy/ daughter night. It was like a Disney event.

Marilyn Manson at Soundwave 2012 in Melbourne. Was that hammered he couldn't sing, stopped singing during songs and walked off stage after 25 mins

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Haha not a Manson fan, but I remember walking past that set and stopping to listen for 5 minutes on my way to something else as I had a few mates that were there. I remember it being absolutely terrible and after catching up with my mates later on they said the whole set was just bad and that for the most part he couldn't even be bothered actually performing.

Haha not a Manson fan, but I remember walking past that set and stopping to listen for 5 minutes on my way to something else as I had a few mates that were there. I remember it being absolutely terrible and after catching up with my mates later on they said the whole set was just bad and that for the most part he couldn't even be bothered actually performing.
Yeah ******* terrible, im a fan too. So i was pretty disappointed. However the two other times I have seen him live, he was awesome

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing Kele was an experience I'd like to forget. I went along with a couple of Bloc Party-loving mates and was expecting, if nothing else a few Bloc Party tunes and lots of cuts from Boxer. He played a really vacuous DJ set (beats, beats and beats) for an hour, had no interaction with the crowd and was clinically outshone by Odesza, who aren't that great themselves. Was $50 too. Majorly ripped.

Animal Collective played a very boring set when I saw them too. It was just after they released Centipede Hz and they pretty much played exclusively from it. That LP was notoriously bad, with little to no hooks and these 5 minute drum-based, Deakin-written tracks. Then they've jam them out. So, so bad. I would have loved to have seen them post-Merriweather. I don't think they'll make another good LP either tbh; they're cooked as a band.

Not bad, but seeing Deerhunter play for 3 hours was something else. It was my younger brother's first overrage gig and I think he got a bit put off by Deerhunter after that. Bradford Cox was in awesome form too, ripping into the crowd and just being weird as *.

I saw Cat Power at Fly by Night Club, early 2000's. Love her albums and knew of her often erratic reputation as a live performer. Jim White was on drums, so I was extra excited to see her. She constantly started songs and decided not to finish. She said she had a cold, which she may have, but every note she sang was magnificent before she stopped and said, " can't do that" or something similar. The crowd were getting restless as she had started 7 or 8 songs only to abort them. I left after about half an hour. I have seen her a few times since and she has been a bit disappointing each time. She seems to have got her mental demons under control, but has never delivered a knock out concert for one reason or another.
Does anyone still play at the Fly By Night? When I was a kid I used to dream of being 18 and being able to go to shows there, because so many good international bands got booked there. I haven't seen anything advertised for ages. In fact, does the 'club' now base itself out of the Trades Hall? There are signs in there for it now.

I don't know what my worst show is. I saw Pond support Arctic Monkeys and half way through someone in the band was bitching about how this was the worst crowd ever and it was obvious no one was interested.

Seeing Kele was an experience I'd like to forget. I went along with a couple of Bloc Party-loving mates and was expecting, if nothing else a few Bloc Party tunes and lots of cuts from Boxer. He played a really vacuous DJ set (beats, beats and beats) for an hour, had no interaction with the crowd and was clinically outshone by Odesza, who aren't that great themselves. Was $50 too. Majorly ripped.

Animal Collective played a very boring set when I saw them too. It was just after they released Centipede Hz and they pretty much played exclusively from it. That LP was notoriously bad, with little to no hooks and these 5 minute drum-based, Deakin-written tracks. Then they've jam them out. So, so bad. I would have loved to have seen them post-Merriweather. I don't think they'll make another good LP either tbh; they're cooked as a band.

Not bad, but seeing Deerhunter play for 3 hours was something else. It was my younger brother's first overrage gig and I think he got a bit put off by Deerhunter after that. Bradford Cox was in awesome form too, ripping into the crowd and just being weird as ****.
Pretty sure I considered the first of those shows – was the Kele on at the Corner? I tried sneaking in with my girlfriend but we got caught. I think someone else was playing the same night as Animal Collective too so I went to see them... Toro Y Moi at the Corner perhaps? Wild Nothing maybe.

It would be great seeing one of those ludicrous Deerhunter shows. You'd be getting a very one off performance, that's for sure.

Pretty sure I considered the first of those shows – was the Kele on at the Corner? I tried sneaking in with my girlfriend but we got caught. I think someone else was playing the same night as Animal Collective too so I went to see them... Toro Y Moi at the Corner perhaps? Wild Nothing maybe.

It would be great seeing one of those ludicrous Deerhunter shows. You'd be getting a very one off performance, that's for sure.

Kele was at Billboards, and a very typical Billboards crowd. I think he played a set a few years back at the Corner though.

You would have got more value out of Toro Y Moi. I went with a quasi-mate from work and we were both very disappointed. I think the only non-Centipede Hz tracks were My Girls and Peacebone. Such a boring set.

I saw Deerhunter at Laneway a few years back and they were pretty much going through the motions, but this set was crazy. I think they jammed out Nothing Ever Happened for 15 minutes and Helicopter was extended quite a way too. If you were a casual fan it would have been very off-putting but it's pretty rare to see a band play for so long. Bradford's an arrogant dude, but he's definitely a character. I'd like to see them tour again soon.

Casey Donovan in Broome outside Cable Beach Sunset Bar circa 2005 - was opening for Ross Wilson along with Groovy Lips and the Yang. Struggled badly in the heat and kept on swallowing flies during her high notes and had to start over again. Disclaimer: I was there for Ross Wilson cos I wanted to hear a few Daddy cool and Mondo rock tunes.

Does anyone still play at the Fly By Night? When I was a kid I used to dream of being 18 and being able to go to shows there, because so many good international bands got booked there. I haven't seen anything advertised for ages. In fact, does the 'club' now base itself out of the Trades Hall? There are signs in there for it now.

I don't know what my worst show is. I saw Pond support Arctic Monkeys and half way through someone in the band was bitching about how this was the worst crowd ever and it was obvious no one was interested.
QUOTE]

Fly by Night is now on High St in the Victoria Hall building. I haven't been to a gig there but it looks great. My mate has just posted on Facebook that his brewery is now supplying beer there. Three Rivers Brewery - check it out.

The old Artillery Hall that housed Fly for so many years was put in the hands of Sunset Events. I was ok with this at the time because I think Sunset have a good record, but the whole process seems to be taking a long time.

I saw Pond supporting Florence and the Machine a while back. They were dreadful.

Yeah that's the one, Victoria Hall not the Trades Hall. I saw John Safran there a while ago. Great looking, classic Freo building and the interior was good. This was almost two years ago now but they were just selling beers by the stubbie at the time. Did they use it for Falls? So they're still going to use the old drill hall? Would've been a cool place to see a show... dirty old northern English sort of vibe I'd imagine in there JimDocker.

I went to Gizzfest last year in Melbourne, Pond were probably my favourite from the day. Although one major bummer. About half way through the set, the security fence near the stage collapsed and the set had to be stopped. And because of such tight time restrictions, Pond didn't get the lost time back and had about 20 or so minutes cut from their set.

I was always a massive Grinspoon fan, and a gig I went to during the height of Phil's Ice rampage was absolutely horrendous. Easily the worst gig I have ever been to. I walked out after about 4 songs, and didn't even think twice about leaving. Thankfully I was able to see them again a year or two later and they redeemed themselves with a very good show.

I saw them open for Chisel about 14 months ago and they were excellent - with a clean PHIL obviously

Been lucky enough to not go to too many s**t ones.
Something For Kate came to uni for Village Fair once and were pretty ordinary. Like their albums but just didn't fit the mood. Custard headlined the same event a year earlier and it was s**t but only because a storm arrived halfway through their set.

28 Days were pretty average

The Distillers and Queens of the Stoneage @ Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide - maybe 2003?

I was there to see the distillers - brodie didn't give a * and spent 90% of the set with her back to the audience - the sound was terrible - i was disappointed

i was never into QOTSA so i left before they even started

----

Remove this Banner Ad

Back