• Sydney 2014

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • GWS 2019

Votes: 208 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 30 5.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So having given up on this GF, which team has put on the worst showing in the biggest game of all?

Collingwood 2003?
Port 2007?
Sydney 2014?
GWS 2019?

I would nominate 1998 and Norths loss

I think that was the year...I have had treatment to erase it, but yeh 21 years on it creeps up about this time of the year

I wonder why Essendon 1983 doesn't get a mention.

Then I realise its because im probably older than most on here.

margin was over 100 at one stage and I was unlucky to be there.

Essendon did get better from it so maybe having some later benefit is another reason its not in here.

Hawthorn 2014 would have flattened the Tigers today. Sydney 2014 just had the misfortune of running into a red hot opponent and flinching horribly.
Strange example. You do realise that the Richmond of the day, regularly beat Hawthorn during their three-peat? So how can you be so confident that today's Tigers couldn't? Oh, I get it, Hawthorn flogged the Swans in the 2014 Granny.

Melbourne 2000 was ordinary but we came up against a stronger team plus GWS have a better team in comparison to that Melbourne side.

The travel and fatigue simply got them in the end while Richmond were bang on yesterday.

Doesn't help when youre playing on the oppositions home ground on such a big day.

It is a really huge advantage.

Doesn't help when youre playing on the oppositions home ground on such a big day.

It is a really huge advantage.
It's incredibly hard. Odds against you. Intimidating for the players in a coliseum like stadium with 100000 people most of whom hate you. That's why last year's win for the eagles has left me in a permanent good mood. I don't sweat the small stuff now. Life is good

Four of the last six grand finals have been blowouts of over 40 points .All losers not from Victoria. The close ones -Sydney loss by 22,Eagles win by 5 were second grand finals for that group of players.Big improvements second time around so Giants will live and learn .imo.

Four of the last six grand finals have been blowouts of over 40 points .All losers not from Victoria. The close ones -Sydney loss by 22,Eagles win by 5 were second grand finals for that group of players.Big improvements second time around so Giants will live and learn .imo.
How many qualified for home grand final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As pathetic and heartless as GWS were yesterday, Port were five goals worse in 2007. 119 is a record that will never be broken. Poor old Poort.
The lowest Giants score ever is worse for me. If you do that and your opponent hits triple digits, it immediately contends for worst ever GF performance. The Cats might have extended their margin by a couple more goals, but the Giants didn't even look like scoring for large portions of the match.

The lowest Giants score ever is worse for me. If you do that and your opponent hits triple digits, it immediately contends for worst ever GF performance. The Cats might have extended their margin by a couple more goals, but the Giants didn't even look like scoring for large portions of the match.

Yup agreed. Kicking 25 points is horrible in a standard home and away game. In a Grand Final it’s terrible. That’s what did it for me; not the margin, but just how GWS basically did nothing.

Surprised St Kilda in the 2010 replay wasn't an option.
St Kilda arguably deserve a pass there given that it was a replay. Reality is you got the feeling that whoever got on top stayed on top, and I feel like St Kilda spent more tickets the week before.

RE: West Coast 15, that was crap by West Coast but they were saved by the margin not being too special. Also Hawthorn were pretty warm favourites, that kind of performance doesn't stand out. The one thing I will say is unlike 2014 I don't think the Hawks were all that special in that game (obviously played well and they still played better than in 2013, but not a stand-out performance)

The one that really stands out as s**t is Adelaide 17. Not only were they favourites but they were well and truly in the contest for a significant chunk of the game. That collapse in the second half is IMO even more inexplicable than a side who was never really in it.

I wonder why Essendon 1983 doesn't get a mention.

Then I realise its because im probably older than most on here.

margin was over 100 at one stage and I was unlucky to be there.

Essendon did get better from it so maybe having some later benefit is another reason its not in here.
I'd throw in 1990 as well. Talk about not showing up ! Jesus !

Would Geelong win 2009 without Scarlett?

2009 was one big contested game in heavy conditions. Removing one player wouldn’t necessarily change the outcome. I like we’re you’re heading though. Our opposition was much stronger than yours. 👍

Over the season, especially during the run in, we had our fair share of injuries too.

Last edited:
The AFL could have switched GWS for any other team but the Suns and made for a closer game. GWS played like they were on the bottom of the ladder. With all the "talent" they supposedly have this is the worst GF I've ever seen. 3 goals! Even random chance favours more goals scored than that in a game.

Back