Opinion Worst/least favourite 10 matches you have seen involving your club

Remove this Banner Ad

10. 2nd Qualifying Final v North Melbourne 1999 - Excitement of our first final and we end up losing by 44 points to the eventual premiers
North in those days were almost impossible to beat in the wet, and that was the last wet football match of 1999 so Port were perhaps unlucky.

Port Adelaide had a very strange season in 1999 - playing superbly against the top four teams (their Round 10 loss to North was one of the highest standard games I have ever seen and in front of a mere sixteen thousand) - but being so sub-par even when they won against many lesser opponents that they were one point short of having the lowest scoring attack even with twelve wins and seventh place. They kicked their two highest scores, amazingly, against the two grand finalists in three weeks.

In no particular order:

2005 Grand Final: "Leo Barry you star!" still haunts me.

2008 vs Geelong @ Subi: 182 to 47, what more can I say.

Round 22 2007 vs Essendon: Up by 7 goals at 3/4 time and on the way to a home qualifying final on %. Essendon kick something like 9 goals in the last quarter and we only seal it when Staker kicks a goal with a minute left.

2007 Semi vs Collingwood: Going down in extra time - heart breaking.

2007 Qualifying final vs Port: Going down by 3 points after leading for most of the night.

Round 19 2010 vs Brisbane: Jonathon Brown kicking a goal with 15 seconds left to seal the club's first wooden spoon.

Round 16 2012 vs Sydney: Putrid second half, was a disgrace to watch.

2006 Qualifying final: Micky O kicking the winning goal.

2010 vs Richmond: Jack Riewoldt''s 10 goals.

Round 20 2010 vs Port: Bad game all round, we kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to level scores with 3 minutes left after being down and out. A Rodan behind with 30 seconds left seals our fate.

10. Round 10 2006 v West Coast- How the hell did we manage to lose after being 9 goals up halfway through the 3rd quarter?

I went to this game, then went to the folks' place afterwards (as was the routine).
They were watching the delayed telecast, and the rule was I was to never give away the result and spoil it. As I saw them celebrate the goal that put us nine in front, I paused, and deciding that rules were meant to be broken, got up and turned off the TV.

I explained what was to come and that I didn't want to watch them go through it. At first they didn't believe me, but in the end they did. They thanked me, and I think we played cards or watched a movie. Seeing Daniel Kerr do his thing - once was enough for me!

1989 Dogs - kick 3 goals, 9 years old and realize we will win spoon
I remember that one a little - there had been so many low scores in the wet earlier that year that I did not notice how inept it was to kick 3-11 in good conditions. Footscray in 1989, despite their near-merger with Fitzroy and second-last place, were a top side in the back two-thirds of the ground and only an amazingly inept attack (worse than Fitzroy in 1996 when one factors in the possession they had) accounts for their thirteenth position. Such was actually predicted by The Age in 1988 one year too soon and quite possibly with the same knowledge that if Beasley declined they could not score enough to win matches no matter how strong they were upfield. Against Richmond, though, scoring was no trouble for the Bulldogs.

The two games between Footscray and Richmond in 1989 are an amazing case of history repeating itself for a second time, as I discuss here. A few players would have been involved in the first repeat in 1979.

Some bad losses at random:
2000 vs Western Bulldogs, Round 19. Coming off 13 straight wins, we tackled them at Optus Oval. As I recall the free kick count was 26-9, with only 2 in the second half, and Simon Garlick kicked the winning goal (from a free of course). The beginning of the end of the 2000 campaign.
2001 vs Hawthorn, Round 17. The match that ultimately cost us the double chance, Ben Dixon goals after the siren for a 3 point win, after we led by 20 points at three quarter time.
2000 vs Melbourne, Qualifying Final. Another match we threw away after seemingly being home. 21 points up at three quarter time, and get swamped by Brad Green, and David Schwarz as I recall. Forced us into a Prelim. Final meeting against Essendon.
1993 vs Essendon, Round 2/Grand Final. Okay we didn't lose but to see Kernahan spray his shot on the full when any score would have won, cut deeper later in the year as it cost us top spot. And of course the Grand Final result of which I will not speak.
2002 vs Geelong, Round 11. Coming from 37 points down at 3/4 time, we out played the Cats in the last quarter, hit the front before Riccardi banged one through to give the Cats the game, Simon Wiggins may have touched the shot too.
2000, vs Port Adelaide, Round 21. Just a frustrating game, culminating in a 5 point loss. As I recall we led by a point with seconds remaining, O'Reilly in the ruck taps it the wrong way, straight to a Port bloke, who passes to Peter Burgoyne, game over.
2001 vs Richmond, Semi Final. If only for the fact this was SOS' last game, and we lost a final to Richmond. Kouta did his knee and we got rolled by 9 points. Ouch. Last final for nearly 8 years too.
2011 vs West Coast, Semi Final. The drama of the last quarter belied the fact we started so well, and should have been 4 goals up early. If only Walker was paid the free kick......
2002 vs Collingwood, Round 18. Lost to Magpies by 108 points. Enough said.
2010 vs Sydney, Elimination Final. Just dominated the third quarter, coming from 4 goals down, Judd at his very best, wasted so many chances in the last quarter, (why does Waite's miss spring to mind?)

2001 vs Hawthorn, Round 17. The match that ultimately cost us the double chance, Ben Dixon goals after the siren for a 3 point win, after we led by 20 points at three quarter time.
That’s an interesting one because Hawthorn suffered a bad reaction the following week and lost to 0-17 Fremantle, whose previous closest shave at a win had been their opening round loss to Carlton! What's amazing about this is that had Fremantle gone 0-22 as they would have if Hawthorn had not been suffering a reaction after their exciting win, they would have been the fourth straight winless team to just fail against the Blues:
  1. North Melbourne in 1934:
    • lost to Carlton 8-8 (56) to 7-16 (58)
  2. Hawthorn in 1950:
    • lost to Carlton 16-15 (111) to 16-20 (116)
  3. Fitzroy in 1964:
    • lost to Carlton 8-11 (59) to 8-12 (60)
  4. Fremantle in 2001:
    • lost to Carlton 18-10 (118) to 18-11 (119)
    • then lost next sixteen by at least 10 points
I wonder how you would have felt at being a fourth Blues team to deny a winless team a win for the season??

That's an interesting one because Hawthorn suffered a bad reaction the following week and lost to 0-17 Fremantle, who's previous closest shave at a win had been their openign round loss to Carlton! What's amazing about this is that had Fremantle gone 0-22 as they would have if Hawthorn had not been suffering a reaction after their exciting win, they would have been the fourth straight winless team to just fail against the Blues:
  1. North Melbournein 1934:
    • lost to Carlton 8-8 (56) to 7-16 (58)
  2. Hawthornin 1950:
    • lost to Carlton 16-15 (111) to 16-20 (116)
  3. Fitzroyin 1964:
    • lost to Carlton 8-11 (59) to 8-12 (60)
  4. Fremantlein 2001:
    • lost to Carlton 18-10 (118) to 18-11 (119)
    • then lost next sixteen by at least 10 points
I wonder how you would have felt at being a fourth Blues team to deny a winless team a win for the season??
That is a great stat! The other thing re: that Hawthorn win was Chris Connolly (later Fremantle coach) was in charge of the Hawks that day, as Peter Schwab was unavailable (death in the family, IIRC).

That is a great stat! The other thing re: that Hawthorn win was Chris Connolly (later Fremantle coach) was in charge of the Hawks that day, as Peter Schwab was unavailable (death in the family, IIRC).
Wasn't it because Schwab had heart problems?

Some bad losses at random:
2000 vs Western Bulldogs, Round 19. Coming off 13 straight wins, we tackled them at Optus Oval. As I recall the free kick count was 26-9, with only 2 in the second half, and Simon Garlick kicked the winning goal (from a free of course). The beginning of the end of the 2000 campaign.
2000 vs Melbourne, Qualifying Final. Another match we threw away after seemingly being home. 21 points up at three quarter time, and get swamped by Brad Green, and David Schwarz as I recall. Forced us into a Prelim. Final meeting against Essendon.
1993 vs Essendon, Round 2/Grand Final. Okay we didn't lose but to see Kernahan spray his shot on the full when any score would have won, cut deeper later in the year as it cost us top spot. And of course the Grand Final result of which I will not speak.
2002 vs Geelong, Round 11. Coming from 37 points down at 3/4 time, we out played the Cats in the last quarter, hit the front before Riccardi banged one through to give the Cats the game, Simon Wiggins may have touched the shot too.
2000, vs Port Adelaide, Round 21. Just a frustrating game, culminating in a 5 point loss. As I recall we led by a point with seconds remaining, O'Reilly in the ruck taps it the wrong way, straight to a Port bloke, who passes to Peter Burgoyne, game over.
2001 vs Richmond, Semi Final. If only for the fact this was SOS' last game, and we lost a final to Richmond. Kouta did his knee and we got rolled by 9 points. Ouch. Last final for nearly 8 years too.
2011 vs West Coast, Semi Final. The drama of the last quarter belied the fact we started so well, and should have been 4 goals up early. If only Walker was paid the free kick......
2002 vs Collingwood, Round 18. Lost to Magpies by 108 points. Enough said.
2010 vs Sydney, Elimination Final. Just dominated the third quarter, coming from 4 goals down, Judd at his very best, wasted so many chances in the last quarter, (why does Waite's miss spring to mind?)
by free kick do you mean light sheppard

by free kick do you mean light sheppard
I do jest with that one, he would have been extremely fortunate to get that free kick, the larger injustice was not winning mark of the year.
Even Nic Nat's against us I would have accepted, (it was a ripper too), but Krakouers'?!?! Bad call, that one.

I do jest with that one, he would have been extremely fortunate to get that free kick, the larger injustice was not winning mark of the year.
Even Nic Nat's against us I would have accepted, (it was a ripper too), but Krakouers'?!?! Bad call, that one.
true, when i first saw Krakouers i didn;t think it would win against Naita's but as soon as i saw skywalkers as awesome as it was i was kinda disapointed becuase i thought there was nothing that could compete with it

6. Some game vs saints at Moorabbin in 70s. They were rubbish and they slaughtered us. Royce Hart took mark of the day and the ump took it off him for putting his boot in his opponents neck.
Richmond actually lost at Moorabbin four times in the 1970s, but in 1972 it was perhaps St. Kilda’s best ever VFL/AFL performance and in 1970 St. Kilda had a superb defence, so since Royce Hart was still playing it could only be the Round 11, 1976 game when St. Kilda won by 31 points.

That loss could not have been nearly so bad as losing the very following week by fifty six points to a Fitzroy team that was 1 and 9 and two games clear on the bottom two weeks ago - and their one win had been by one point against South Melbourne in the seventh round.

1 2007 Grand Final
2 "Dream final" in 2005? 2006? against Adelaide
3 2003 Prelim
4 2002 Prelim
5 Loss Brisbane lions when they came back when port were 50 points up or so this was 09?08?
6 Gold Coast game
7 first game against Collingwood
8 Drawn game against Carlton

dunno what the last two are

but i'm going

9 giving GWS first win in 2012
10 Allowing Freo to win first premiership in the yr 2049

July 12, 2011 - Scary predicton skills, albeit slightly out with GWS getting their first win -

So Freo only have to wait another 37 years for a Premiership? Sooner than I expected!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No particular order -

1993 Preliminary Final vs Essendon, MCG - 42 points up at half-time. I remember singing a song during the half-time break that went something like "We're going to play in the Grand Final, we're going to play in the Grand Final" - I was 9 years old and I was about to learn a very important lesson.

1992 Round 14 vs Essendon, Football Park - 4 points up at 3/4 time before Paul Salmon went beserk to kick 9 goals and Essendon win by over 40. I was only 8 years old and was listening to the game on the radio. I started crying once I realized that we were going to lose and my Mum turned the radio off and wouldn't let me listen to it. I begged her to put it back on and promised I wouldn't cry. We turn it back on the first thing we heard was KG exclaiming "...and Paul Salmon has kicked another goal.." which sent me back into tears and Mum turned the radio off for good.

2006 Round 8 vs Richmond, Docklands - Adelaide were top of the ladder and flying, Richmond had lost their previous game against Sydney by over 100 points. This game was to be a walkover. Enter Terry Wallace's "keeping off" tactic which saw Richmond accumulate an astonishing 181 marks via chipping it to each other in the backline. Richmond held on to win by 3 points in the most frustrating game I have watched that even had Richmond supporters in the crowd booing.

1997 Round 4 vs Port Adelaide, Football Park - First ever Showdown, Port Adelaide came to play. It was my birthday. A rather inconsiderate birthday present. I remember my Mum and I locking my Port supporting Dad out in the backyard because he was yahooing just a bit too much for our liking.

2009 Semi Final vs Collingwood, MCG - I was there, it happened right in front of me. Only time I have felt a little bit scared leaving a footy game. Lots of Collingwood and Adelaide ferals going off at each other outside the ground. It was a very warm night and the tensions were at boiling point. There was no definitive replay of the Rutten/Anthony free kick at the ground that night, and at the time I thought we had been robbed to. I felt a little better when I saw the definitive angle the next day; a bit of a soft free kick, but it was there.

2006 Preliminary Final vs West Coast, Football Park - This was supposed to be redemption. The Eagles had knocked us off in the '05 Prelim, but that was at Subiaco. We were own our turf, and this was the game that we fixed the ledger. Up to half time the game was going to plan. However, during the break Cousins got a dose of a different sort of white line fever and destroyed us. Two consecutive prelim final losses to the Eagles and no premierships for our two most successful home and away seasons.

2011 Round 7 vs Melbourne, MCG - Quite simply the worst effort I have ever seen live from Adelaide - They thumped us by 96 points and some extremely annoying woman in my vicinity kept yelling out 'Go Jack (Watts)' every time he got the ball and even times when he wasn't anywhere near the ball. Aggravating.

2008 Round 1 vs Western Bulldogs, Docklands - Halfway through the third quarter my Mum rang me to tell me that my Grandpa had passed away. 300 gamer Brad Johnson kicked three final quarter goals in 5 minutes to take an 8 point deficit to a 10 point lead deep into time on. I thought I'd cut my losses and leave the game then, I was sad that my grandpa was gone and to top it off I had to head into work straight afterwards. Meanwhile, in the transit from level 3 of the Docklands down the exit ramps, unbeknown to me, Scott Stevens scored a goal, and as I got to level one and about to exit, I saw the scoreboard was only 4 points difference and suddenly Nathan Bock had a mark and kick on goal on the siren to win the game! My spirits rose! I had been too hasty in leaving my seat too early, they were going to win it for my Grandpa.
Bock missed - 3 point loss. Work sucked that night

2007 Elimination Final vs Hawthorn, Docklands - In the crowd surrounded by Hawks supporters. Most were good natured enough, but there was one w***er who I wanted to belt. We were trading barbs all game, nothing too serious, but I am sure I probably was annoying him as much as he was annoying me. The other w***er I wanted to belt was Neil Craig for leaving Kris Massie on Franklin all day. I was in a perfect line behind Franklin and the goals as he kicked the winning goal, infact I feel like I must have been right near the camera that showed the reverse angle in the highlights. As soon as it came off the boot, it was never going to miss. I was devasted. The w***er in the crowd who was shitting me jumped up and got so excited that he feel down on top of the people in the row in front of him - As I left the game I passed him, and in a show of sportsmanship I said congratulations and put out my hand to shake his. He ignored me and kept on singing the Hawthorn song. My girlfriend who was with me (who doesn't follow football, but came with me) said that she thought Franklin was
attractive and to this day he is the only footballer who she knows and can recognise.

2004 Round 17 vs Brisbane Lions, Gabba - 141 point loss - Nothing more to be said -

5 Loss Brisbane lions when they came back when port were 50 points up or so this was 09?08?
It was 2009. Port Adelaide still kicked the most goals by a team with two goalless quarters.
9 giving GWS first win in 2012
It must have been terrible for you and I never thought it possible that Greater Western Sydney would kick a century score and become the first team to kick no centuries since North Melbourne in 1972. Still, it was not Greater Western Sydney’s first win, but as their first win over an established AFL club it must have been very bad. The fact that every other new entrant except Hawthorn managed to beat an established club within their first two games indicates how much has changed with Docklands and free agency!

Don't have many...I'd like to think I'm a positive "one week at a time" supporter, and there's always next week or next year...

1) However, that wasn't the case when I sat and watched the last quarter of the 1996 QF between Sydney and Hawthorn, "knowing" that this was the last ever game for the brown and gold. To add insult to injury, I was playing in a band that night, watching the game in another room from where we were playing when we were on a break, and with 10 minutes left in the match I had to leave and go play, not seeing the final walk off the field...long story short, my favourite match of all time is R01 1997...against the Saints and I can't remember if we won or lost...probably not, but I don't care!

2) Last year's PF against Collingwood, a rare instance where the better team didn't win on the day. We would have been smashed by Geelong though...

3) The 1984 GF against Essendon...as a young kid pretty new to the idea of Hawthorn playing in GF's, 1983 was brilliant and you could reasonably expect a bit more of the same when you're 4 goals up at 3/4 time...couldn't you...? The downs of footy were experienced harshly for the first time in my life...!

4) The 1998 Gabba game for Hawthorn. The worst footy match I've ever seen, even though we won...and I support South Launceston, so that's saying something...

5) If you'd asked me last year, I might have added some of these Cats 9-game streak losses, but I admire that team too much these days...they've proven themselves to be the best team since my own boys in the 1980's, so you can't be too grumpy...I was laughing at Karma's sick sense of humour last Friday...!

2010 vs Richmond: Jack Riewoldt''s 10 goals.

Round 20 2010 vs Port: Bad game all round, we kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to level scores with 3 minutes left after being down and out. A Rodan behind with 30 seconds left seals our fate.
Did you never see Round 20, 2008 against Melbourne, where West Coast scored only one goal after the four minute mark of the second quarter against a team going into the match with a percentage of 63.2 beforehand and 62.6 at the end of the season? That was widely touted as the worst any West Coast team had ever played, and their 2008 record is undoubtedly worse than what they did in 2010.

Did you never see Round 20, 2008 against Melbourne, where West Coast scored only one goal after the four minute mark of the second quarter against a team going into the match with a percentage of 53.2 beforehand and 62.6 at the end of the season? That was widely touted as the worst any West Coast team had ever played, and their 2008 record is undoubtedly worse than what they did in 2010.

You make a good point, I'd completely erased that match from my mind though.

2006 Preliminary Final vs West Coast, Football Park - This was supposed to be redemption. The Eagles had knocked us off in the '05 Prelim, but that was at Subiaco. We were own our turf, and this was the game that we fixed the ledger. Up to half time the game was going to plan. However, during the break Cousins got a dose of a different sort of white line fever and destroyed us. Two consecutive prelim final losses to the Eagles and no premierships for our two most successful home and away seasons.
People say St. Kilda can be dissatisfied at not managing a premiership during the 2000s (and in their case in 2010), but the Crows were really little different: a really strong power for most of the decade, yet nothing to reward them not only in premierships, but even in Grand Final appearances. (An odd illustration of how powerful those two clubs were is that between 2002 and 2011 the year’s lowest score was kicked against one of Geelong, Collingwood, Adelaide or St. Kilda in every year bar 2010).

No particular order -

1993 Preliminary Final vs Essendon, MCG - 42 points up at half-time. I remember singing a song during the half-time break that went something like "We're going to play in the Grand Final, we're going to play in the Grand Final" - I was 9 years old and I was about to learn a very important lesson.

1992 Round 14 vs Essendon, Football Park - 4 points up at 3/4 time before Paul Salmon went beserk to kick 9 goals and Essendon win by over 40. I was only 8 years old and was listening to the game on the radio. I started crying once I realized that we were going to lose and my Mum turned the radio off and wouldn't let me listen to it. I begged her to put it back on and promised I wouldn't cry. We turn it back on the first thing we heard was KG exclaiming "...and Paul Salmon has kicked another goal.." which sent me back into tears and Mum turned the radio off for good.

2006 Round 8 vs Richmond, Docklands - Adelaide were top of the ladder and flying, Richmond had lost their previous game against Sydney by over 100 points. This game was to be a walkover. Enter Terry Wallace's "keeping off" tactic which saw Richmond accumulate an astonishing 181 marks via chipping it to each other in the backline. Richmond held on to win by 3 points in the most frustrating game I have watched that even had Richmond supporters in the crowd booing.

1997 Round 4 vs Port Adelaide, Football Park - First ever Showdown, Port Adelaide came to play. It was my birthday. A rather inconsiderate birthday present. I remember my Mum and I locking my Port supporting Dad out in the backyard because he was yahooing just a bit too much for our liking.

2009 Semi Final vs Collingwood, MCG - I was there, it happened right in front of me. Only time I have felt a little bit scared leaving a footy game. Lots of Collingwood and Adelaide ferals going off at each other outside the ground. It was a very warm night and the tensions were at boiling point. There was no definitive replay of the Rutten/Anthony free kick at the ground that night, and at the time I thought we had been robbed to. I felt a little better when I saw the definitive angle the next day; a bit of a soft free kick, but it was there.

2011 Round 7 vs Melbourne, MCG - Quite simply the worst effort I have ever seen live from Adelaide - They thumped us by 96 points and some extremely annoying woman in my vicinity kept yelling out 'Go Jack (Watts)' every time he got the ball and even times when he wasn't anywhere near the ball. Aggravating.

2008 Round 1 vs Western Bulldogs, Docklands - Halfway through the third quarter my Mum rang me to tell me that my Grandpa had passed away. 300 gamer Brad Johnson kicked three final quarter goals in 5 minutes to take an 8 point deficit to a 10 point lead deep into time on. I thought I'd cut my losses and leave the game then, I was sad that my grandpa was gone and to top it off I had to head into work straight afterwards. Meanwhile, in the transit from level 3 of the Docklands down the exit ramps, unbeknown to me, Scott Stevens scored a goal, and as I got to level one and about to exit, I saw the scoreboard was only 4 points difference and suddenly Nathan Bock had a mark and kick on goal on the siren to win the game! My spirits rose! I had been too hasty in leaving my seat too early, they were going to win it for my Grandpa.
Bock missed - 3 point loss. Work sucked that night

2007 Elimination Final vs Hawthorn, Docklands - In the crowd surrounded by Hawks supporters. Most were good natured enough, but there was one Moo who I wanted to belt. We were trading barbs all game, nothing too serious, but I am sure I probably was annoying him as much as he was annoying me. The other Moo I wanted to belt was Neil Craig for leaving Kris Massie on Franklin all day. I was in a perfect line behind Franklin and the goals as he kicked the winning goal, infact I feel like I must have been right near the camera that showed the reverse angle in the highlights. As soon as it came off the boot, it was never going to miss. I was devasted. The Moo in the crowd who was shitting me jumped up and got so excited that he feel down on top of the people in the row in front of him - As I left the game I passed him, and in a show of sportsmanship I said congratulations and put out my hand to shake his. He ignored me and kept on singing the Hawthorn song. My girlfriend who was with me (who doesn't follow football, but came with me) said that she thought Franklin was
attractive and to this day he is the only footballer who she knows and can recognise.

2004 Round 17 vs Brisbane Lions, Gabba - 141 point loss - Nothing more to be said -

Wow, I had forgotten some of those games, the Richmond keepings off fest is still probably best forgotten, except if you were Joel Bowden.

My 5 worst matches (I'm short on time) that I've experienced, in no order:
1. Collingwood 12.16 (88) Lost to Essendon 13.15 (93)- The first match that came to my head and the first time that I had ever noticed David Zaharakis. His goal with 4 seconds to go shattered me on that day, my dad was absolutely pissed and I couldn't talk to him for about an hour when he calmed down. It was a great display from Paddy Ryder and Essendon but I was absolutely shattered.
2. Geelong 13.14 (92) def. Collingwood 13.9 (87)- This match I have not been able to let go of since it happened, it was absolutely gut-wrenching (somewhere in between the 2002 Grand Final loss to Brisbane and the 2011 Grand Final loss to Geelong.) Plenty of the team stood up tall during September of 2007 but it just wasn't enough, Cloke, Didak, Shaw and Clarke all played well. Rocca was f*cking useless (but what's new) and looking at the side there were a few old farts in there who were on their last legs anyway :p.
3. Brisbane 10.15 (75) def. Collingwood 9.12 (66)- I was heartbroken when Aker kicked that last goal. The younger side stood tall and made the most of Brisbane's mediocre form. A lot of the younger lads played well (Josh Fraser, Chris Tarrant and Ryan Lonie especially.)
4. Carlton 13.11 (89) def. Collingwood 11.14 (80)- A loss to Carlton is never good, especially when it f*cks your whole season :(
5. Geelong 18.11 (119) def. 12.9 (81)- I actually took this well for a Grand Final loss, I felt like s**t in the last quarter but I didn't really care after the final siren went. Pendles and Jolly played well, Swan played like crap, so did Blair (unless he was the sub I can't remember.)

So yeah that's my 5, thanks for reading and best of luck to your team this year :)

2002? 03? Saints - horrible Saints team suffocates us, Grant Thomas vindicated
I don’t remember the 2002 game where the Tigers lost by nine points and began a slump from 4-4 to 4-13, or the 2003 game where they were thrashed by the biggest margin since St. Kilda’s best-ever VFL/AFL performance in 1972. Given that in 2003 Richmond had been doing really badly with only one win after Round 8, one would think it was the 2002 game when St. Kilda were 1-6-1.

In no order, not particular the worst displays of football, but the most crushing results that come to mind since the mid-90's.

1996 Semi Final vs Essendon
Should have been played at home, just a bad taste in mouth

1999 Semi Final vs Carlton
Ditto, especially since I didnt really rate Carlton at the time

2005 Grand Final vs Sydney
Happy the swans won if it had to be anyone (my parents follow them), but both teams didnt play at their best, and we had so many important players out and some randoms in the side. Missed opportunity, and maybe one of the worst GF 22's to take the field.

2006 Rnd 16 vs Collingwood
Collingwood beat us convincingly, while Adelaide beat Essendon by 20+ goals. Despite some recent wins over the crows, Adelaide looked unbeatable, barely anyone coming close, while we were barely beating other sides for wins. The next week we smashed adelaide by 82pts and everything changed. Had a similar feeling of dread following the 2006 QF, but kept faith and we got lucky again.

2007 Rnd 22 3/4 time until extra-time in Semi-Final, Judd exit and Mainwaring death
2007 was a tragic year for our club from the very start, but we seemed to be getting it together with our win in Melbourne over the saints and then leading the bombers convincingly at 3/4 time in sheeds n hirds final game for the club. From that point on, the footy gods finally unloaded their karma on us, and the following few weeks were terribly unlucky and derailed our club.

2008 Rnd 2 vs Adelaide
Prior to 2008, West Coast were still being talked up by most as a likely finalist and maybe even a Top 4 team, despite losing Judd and Cousins. This was the first moment when we realised we were crap, Goodwin kicked 7 I think and the crows crushed us. It would be confirmed in some progressively huge losses as the season wore on, including our nadir at home to Geelong, and being smashed by Richmond at home stood out as well.

2008 Rnd20 vs Melbourne
I attended 4 victorian games in 2008, including a 100pt loss to Collingwood. This was the most painful one though, Melbourne were horrid and made us look horrid. Not a very fun day at the footy. Repeated itself the following year, but in the lead-up that week the Stynes cancer news broke, so it was anticipated.

2009 2nd derby vs Fremantle
Just a terribly frustrating game to lose with horrid inaccuracy, as we looked headed for Priority picks after 2 terrible seasons. Turned it around for the rest of the season though.

2010 late season losses to Brisbane and Port
I dont believe we were the worst team in 2010, but we struggled for wins and threw away games at the death against fellow strugglers to receive our first wooden spoon. Brisbane (once our bunny) and Port (always made us their bitch) seem to troll us more than other clubs. Just suprise us and win it when you least expect it.

1997 Prelim final vs Adelaide - Honestly dont even remember this game, but has to be in there, Jarman ruins the dogs hopes with a clinic. He goes on to repeat the feat the next week.

2009 Prelim final vs St Kilda - Riewoldts inability to keep his feet in 1 on 1 contests gives St Kilda a 7 point victory.

2011 Vs West Coast - Losing by 120 points with Kennedy kicking 10, just horrible.

2010 vs Geelong - Losing by 101 points after nearly being backed into even odds going in.

2009 vs Geelong - Johnno misses after the siren.. win wouldve given us a lot of momentum.

2006 Semi Final vs West Coast - A big build up amongst bulldogs supporters for West and Smith's 300ths + Smiths last game. Were demolished by a much stronger side.

2006 vs Adelaide - Coming off 4 straight wins and a lot of hype, we struggle to score against a Crows outfit led by debutant Jason Porplyzia.

2005 vs Melbourne - Jeff White gets a 50/50 free kick from a ruck contest and slots the goals, stopping the dogs run and their chances of making the 8.

Eh thats all I can think of for now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back