• North

Votes: 66 12.2%
  • Saints

Votes: 70 12.9%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But if you are rating lists on their ability to win a flag that would make them the worst list then
Sorry, do you have some type of magic ball that will predict how each team will go in the next year, next 5 years and next 10 years? Would love to know what the ladder looks like in 5 years.

Why interview other coaches when the guy who has the skill set you need is ready and available to fill the role.
Waste of time and money.

Yep, no surprise he took the job he didn’t need to audition against others.

The ‘process’ he went through to get the saints gig reeks of old boy favouritism.

Lyon - Took two teams to Grand Finals
Harvey - 2 time brownlow medalist
Hayes - norm Smith medalist

Wonder why they were employed, not like they not legends of the game.

AFLW coach, already employed fir several year. Original NGA coach.

Not sure what your point is, or that you understood mine.

Also can't help but laugh at you talking up a coach because of their playing record.

Did you forget you just a few months back sacked a coach who was a premiership player, 3 x club best & fairest winner, 2 x AA representative and club captain?

Not sure what your point is, or that you understood mine.

Also can't help but laugh at you talking up a coach because of their playing record.

Did you forget you just a few months back sacked a coach who was a premiership player, 3 x club best & fairest winner, 2 x AA representative and club captain?
Yep - Rattan is a crap coach but even he could have got that carlton side into the 8. Crazy Vossy on the other hand lol. He's going to waste the talent on your list which will continue to be fun to watch. RTB and his Saints crew of assistants will have us back in the 8 this year and setting up for a crack at the flag. Will be difficult for you guys to watch.

sure… North have but are they any good. Hopefully LDU can pull consistent performances together. Thomas, your funky Academy guy, has talent but is ratty on and off the park. Phillips has talent but is at square one of his development. Ditto Wardlaw. Meanwhile the game has passed Cunnington. Who else is in your mids. Oh yep, the Simpkin guy who can’t kick over a jam tin and is a butcher boy with the ball. Clarko won’t tolerate him and he will want or be encouraged to move.
I know you’re anti north and all that but while you do have a point I’d expand on it a bit

Cunnington- not sure where you get the game has passed him by, not sure how you make that assessment as his health issues have really robbed him of two years, but yes there is a question mark over how he comes back after illness and obviously he is closer to the end of his career than start.

TT- kind of agree, I do think and hope Clarko can rebuild him after checking out last year.

Phillips- I’m encouraged by his training so far and think he can make a solid contribution.

Jy- I have been one of the most vocal about his disposal but he did improve it on the second half of 22. Hoping a fit Cunnington, greater contributions from other mids can assist him in shouldering the load and could flow on to his disposal quality.

Powell- I really think his skill set will thrive under Clarko great hands vision and accumulation.

LDU- needs to be our game breaker.

I’d like to see Zurhaar have a few pinch hit spells on ball

The mature pick ups I’m not expecting to be stars but I do think they will be able to plug and play when needed.

Wardlaw- happy with drafting him but I’m perfectly fine will is slowly building him and his body for a while if he doesn’t debut this year, although I’d love to see it I wouldn’t be too upset.

I think Scott and Goater will be very good on the wings.

Overall yeah there’s promise but a lot of what ifs, which is completely natural after 22 but I’ve said a lot that 2022 was a disaster where everything that could go wrong did.

North will improve.

Yep - Rattan is a crap coach but even he could have got that carlton side into the 8. Crazy Vossy on the other hand lol. He's going to waste the talent on your list which will continue to be fun to watch. RTB and his Saints crew of assistants will have us back in the 8 this year and setting up for a crack at the flag. Will be difficult for you guys to watch.
If you are in the 8 this year the Lyon is a deadset demigod. I wish you nothing but the best but where the hell is the improvement coming from? He can change the gameplan but with no preseason from King and his likely slow return rounds 5-10 you would want to have a 8 and 2 run to the finals to get there. I could easily see you drop to last. That’s not a criticism I just don’t see how the heck you turn it this year. Maybe that’s why Ross is coaching and I’ll be up in Level 2….. anyway - all the best with the season ahead!

Not sure what Carlton has to do with anything - you don't really think they're relevant to the thread, do you?

Also not sure why it would be "difficult" for me to watch. There are many teams I dislike more than St Kilda.

I know you’re anti north and all that but while you do have a point I’d expand on it a bit

Cunnington- not sure where you get the game has passed him by, not sure how you make that assessment as his health issues have really robbed him of two years, but yes there is a question mark over how he comes back after illness and obviously he is closer to the end of his career than start.

TT- kind of agree, I do think and hope Clarko can rebuild him after checking out last year.

Phillips- I’m encouraged by his training so far and think he can make a solid contribution.

Jy- I have been one of the most vocal about his disposal but he did improve it on the second half of 22. Hoping a fit Cunnington, greater contributions from other mids can assist him in shouldering the load and could flow on to his disposal quality.

Powell- I really think his skill set will thrive under Clarko great hands vision and accumulation.

The mature pick ups I’m not expecting to be stars but I do think they will be able to plug and play when needed.

Wardlaw- happy with drafting him but I’m perfectly fine will is slowly building him and his body for a while if he doesn’t debut this year, although I’d love to see it I wouldn’t be too upset.

Overall yeah there’s promise but a lot of what ifs, which is completely natural after 22 but I’ve said a lot that 2022 was a disaster where everything that could go wrong did.

North will improve.
Totally agree - mid tier this year I suspect. North had a run of games late 2021 that showed there is genuine talent on the list. Should have beaten us in our round 18ish game when your mids really domininated our vaunted midfield in Q3. Your coach lost the players in 2022 and that pick 1 bloke was poison.

LDU is clearly a player, Phillips will want to show his wares, you’ve got a very decent backline and potentially still the best coach in the game. Looking forward to the North games this year and really wish we were still in the Good Friday game which I think will be a cracker v Carlton but would have been equally good v us.

Why interview other coaches when the guy who has the skill set you need is ready and available to fill the role.
Waste of time and money.
Spose the big question is were Ross’ mates partial in their decision making when they decided to appoint him to the role with no due process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North will improve.

North will improve.

thanks for your reply. Just a few comments.

* Cunington. My fear is lack of leg speed will find him out in the current transition footy. Our Kennedy was a victim and he he was a damned fine player.

* Phillips. Defended his draft selection. Needs a good run to see if he can play and be a player.

* Simpkin. Can we agree to disagree? His basic kicking skills combined with decisions he makes make for ordinary outcomes in my view.

* You are right to be enthused about the Goater.

Saints could easily be 0 and 4 after the first month. King is out with no obvious replacement, Membry is a great 2nd tall but looks a big ask to fill the void and Steele is a deadset gun but not much depth once you go past him. Going to be a very tough year I suspect
Membrey is very good but he's a 3rd tall for sure .
188cm and plays high.

thanks for your reply. Just a few comments.

* Cunington. My fear is lack of leg speed will find him out in the current transition footy. Our Kennedy was a victim and he he was a damned fine player.

* Phillips. Defended his draft selection. Needs a good run to see if he can play and be a player.

* Simpkin. Can we agree to disagree? His basic kicking skills combined with decisions he makes make for ordinary outcomes in my view.

* You are right to be enthused about the Goater.
All valid points but on the flip side there is a big possibility the issues can be managed

Spose the big question is were Ross’ mates partial in their decision making when they decided to appoint him to the role with no due process.
What mates? Nobody from his last tenure as head coach is left at the club.
Geoff Walsh wouldn't be giving away free jobs to just nobodies.

St.Kilda is such an interesting team in this debate.

I actually understand why people perceive them to have the worst list due to what appears to be an abundance of B+ players.

However I really rate King, Steele, Marshall and Gresham and have high hopes for Wangerneen-Milera and Marcus Windhager, plus Phillipou and Hotton were players I would have loved Hawthorn to draft.
Also, if Jack Billings, Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield are playing their best footy whilst still being a rung below the players I've already mentioned, the Saints could have a surprisingly good 2023.

They still need it all to go right though. Playing Hawthorn twice will help since we're their new bunnies.

Pick Eagles for the flag they win the spoon.
Pick em for the spoon and they win the flag.

Definitely the most unpredictable.

When the media inflate the already huge ego's of Eagles players they seem to drink there ownbath water and dont perform.

When the media call them fat, old, not very good, too slow etc the players seem to snap out of it and start having a crack.

Seen this several times 9ver the journey.

So keep up the good work everyone.

Boys certainly looking lighter and much fitter this preseason. McGovern looking for one last contract and looks skinny. Lol.

Not for Nic, his cash register will still be cachinging till near the end of 2024.

And yet Fyfe would have earned significantly more and played less over the past couple of seasons. Nic took a decent pay cut. Fyfe will still want close to top dollar.

Had to smile looking down Freo's fantasy rankings. Brayshaw the only player over $900k. Then Will Brodie. Then Serong everyone else in the $700k or under range. And no standout KP forwards of quality (and no, Fantasy pricing isnt a good measure of KP players).

After Brayshaw and Serong there isnt many other players standing out as elite with their best footy ahead on them. Jackson most likely to get there.

And yet Fyfe would have earned significantly more and played less over the past couple of seasons. Nic took a decent pay cut. Fyfe will still want close to top dollar.

Had to smile looking down Freo's fantasy rankings. Brayshaw the only player over $900k. Then Will Brodie. Then Serong everyone else in the $700k or under range. And no standout KP forwards of quality (and no, Fantasy pricing isnt a good measure of KP players).

After Brayshaw and Serong there isnt many other players standing out as elite with their best footy ahead on them. Jackson most likely to get there.
Pure speculation on Fyfe, he will be taking a pay cut regardless and 1 year deals unless his output is huge this year. Nic Nat got 2 years after a terrible season, fact.

The rest of your reply is absolute garbage. Fantasy points are not a measure of a footy team and even then Freo would be worth a lot more than heaps of sides due to our high possession game.

Clark, Young, Jackson all in the 22 under 22. Chappy & Frederick in the squad. Cox AA, Darcy a gun. Switta rated as elite by your fantasy stats. O’Driscol, Walker rising stars. We’ve got the bones of an elite core of 10+ players with other high talent draft picks coming through even if you are blind to it. WC have not had any in that team or rising stars for awhile. Ryan & Allen the last, who are 26/24 already.

Back