Worst newspaper headlines

Remove this Banner Ad

student-excited-dad-got-headjob.jpg

funny-headline-scott-head-job-thumb-572xauto-201723.jpg

Super_Caley_go_ballistic_Celtic_are_atrocious.jpg.scaled500.jpg

Yep, creative license is thrown out the window if buddy plays well.

Buddy Beauty
Buddy Brilliant
Bud Wiser
Bombers Lanced
Franklin Dams Lions:eek:
Sir Lance a lot
Franklin Mint:thumbsu:

hmmmm..

But wait, there's more...
Hawthorn play Brisbane this week, so headline in today's Herald Sun today says;
"MAGUIRE UP FOR BUDDY GOOD STOUSH."
:rolleyes:

When Lynden Dunn got suspended did any paper use the headline "Lynden's Done"?

Some Essendon ones I can remember:

"Is Don Is Good"
"Don's Party"
"Hird About The Premiership? Its A Don Deal"

Anyone see the "MEOWCH" in saturdays HUN?

Deliberately didn't buy Saturday's Hun. Glad I missed that, what a shocker!

Equally as bad as the one in today's Hun (which I didn't buy either). A picture of Barry Hall celebrating a goal has the headline.....ugh....

"HALL OF THE WILD."

I always thought they should've announced Freo's then games record holder, McManus' retirement with "SHAWN OFF". Opportunity wasted.

Chances are when Antoni Grover retires the headline will be, "ALL OVER FOR GROVER."

Or when Pavlich retires; "PAVL-OVER".

Pommy newspapers are the best at headlines , been some absolute pearlers over the years.

Agreed. And this just makes our efforts so much worse. It's like we're trying to as witty as the Poms, but fail badly.

Thing is, the way things are going there mightn't be many English newspapers left soon.

Which makes me wonder what an Aussie headline might be for sackings over the phone hacking scandal....

"HACKY-SACKED"?

I don't know. 10 had "Alan Key" as a headline tonight. Gotta be up there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An English headline I saw a few years back- Rooney, Man U on Fire. Very witty.

Another one was after a rugby league in which Willie Mason was injured- Roosters win but loose Willie. I laughed

I don't know. 10 had "Alan Key" as a headline tonight. Gotta be up there

Yeah, saw that one too. ALAN KEY.... Why??? Was thinking of posting that myself, but hoped someone else might.

The Willie Mason one, fair enough. Genuinely chuckleworthy. But it's the totally lame and pointless ones that suck so bad you just wonder...

Getting back to "Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious", apparently the sub-ed responsible was asked how he came up with such a brilliant headline. He said, "Sometimes a line like that will just Poppin to my head!"

Ahhhhh. Reckon I've got what it takes to be a sub(standard) editor myself!

My son just saw this on North Melbourne's website:

Where've you Ben?

140711_Warren_IA.jpg

Ben Warren could pull on the North Melbourne jumper for just the second time this year after being named in the 25-man squad to take on the Bulldogs on Sunday evening.

After playing in the club’s season opener against the Eagles in Perth, the medium forward has been kept out of the side, forced to prove his worth in the VFL with Werribee.

An English headline I saw a few years back- Rooney, Man U on Fire. Very witty.

Another one was after a rugby league in which Willie Mason was injured- Roosters win but loose Willie. I laughed

One from England when when David Seaman joined Man City after schmeichel has retired
"Seaman Fills Schmeichels Hole"....

Not surprisingly got taken from circulation fairly quickly, but from memory did go to print

The SLF rumour that was referred to earlier in the thread was the proposed Gavin Urquhart for Patrick Veszpremi trade.

It got run in the papers and the story goes that Veszpremi asked his manager if the rumours were true and if North had expressed interest.

But I guess you learnt a lesson about trying to submit something to a newspaper; no matter how good something is from the public, they wont print it if they didn't think of it.

I could tell some stories...
That's right.

Newspapers are unlikely to publish unsolicited copy from random members of the public.

Would be a worry if they did.

That's right.

Newspapers are unlikely to publish unsolicited copy from random members of the public.

Would be a worry if they did.

Wasn't talking about supplying news stories or "information".
Quick example, I once sent some light hearted and inoffensive AFL poetry to a paper - solicited by someone from a department at the paper - who said, "Fred Bloggs (sports editor, not his real name) will HAVE to print this!"
He took it up to the sports ed, who hardly gave it a second glance, and of course didn't print it. But just a couple of weeks later the sports ed published some of his own football poetry. Which absolutely sucked!

I know what you're saying about some stuff "being a worry", but that's not the sort of thing I'm talking about here.

Wasn't talking about supplying news stories or "information".
Quick example, I once sent some light hearted and inoffensive AFL poetry to a paper - solicited by someone from a department at the paper - who said, "Fred Bloggs (sports editor, not his real name) will HAVE to print this!"
He took it up to the sports ed, who hardly gave it a second glance, and of course didn't print it. But just a couple of weeks later the sports ed published some of his own football poetry. Which absolutely sucked.
That must have been heartbreaking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back