Health Worst pain you have felt?

Remove this Banner Ad

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
These are my top 3 - I can't decide which is the worst. All were bad in a different way.

Stomach flu/stomach bug - excruciating headache, nausea, and hours of relentless vomiting until nothing was coming out and I was dry reaching for the rest of the night. Felt like my lungs and ribcage were going to explode every time I dry reached. I got so dehydrated that I was admitted to hospital and put on a drip.

Getting circumcised at 17 under local anaesthetic was a whirlwind of mental and physical pain. First laying there with this weird sense of anticipation/dread combined with the embarrassment that I know I'd feel if I got hard (there was like 4 females in the operating theater including 2 medical students, and I knew that the operation was being filmed and other medical students would be watching it); trying to keep my mind occupied with something else to stave that off, which was quickly overtaken by anxiety as the clamp was being put on, then unbelievable pain once the actual cutting was underway and I could feel the scalpel slicing through flesh, followed by stitching which was a different kind of pain to the cutting and almost as bad. Then the recovery period, spending a week living in fear of getting a boner.

Car crash - a P plater broke the road rules and smashed into the side of my car while I was going through a green light. The hydraulic shock threw out something in my back - luckily it wasn't spinal and was only soft tissue damage. For a couple days I could barely move because every time I tried even a slight bend at the waist, I got intense lower back pain. I was basically a cripple for 3 weeks with intense pain from doing basic tasks, during which time I questioned whether I would ever make a full recovery. Eventually made a full recovery with the help of prescription medication and physiotherapy.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Split my head open at 12. It was either surgery or getting stitched up. 60-70 stitches in the end. Burst appendix not long ago. Have had mouth pain since the beginning of the year. Pain was a 10 for most of the days for two and a half months. Got so bad my mouth and head was burning one day, luckily that pain lasted only a day as the pain was way too high I was going to pass out. Couldnt eat solids, drinking through a straw, couldn't speak properly, couldn't sleep etc could go on.

Could give the story of the worst pain I've felt but way too personal. The mouth one was the most painful out of the three above.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probs falling off a skateboard at high speed with shorts and a T-shirt on.

Very soft relatively

Getting tonsils removed sounds utterly terrifying.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wisdom teeth. Had two on my bottom jaw surgically removed as they were stuck underneath my other teeth. I'm not one for taking pain killers but I sure as hell dosed up during the recovery period after.

Wisdom teeth. Had two on my bottom jaw surgically removed as they were stuck underneath my other teeth. I'm not one for taking pain killers but I sure as hell dosed up during the recovery period after.

owowowowowow

Mine had grown thru, so they didnt have to go digging for them. Very lucky in that regard- my procedure for my wisdom teeth was pretty good- recovering after the GA was probably the worst part of it. Had little swelling, no blood.

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I know! Why not general?!?!?!

I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out quite urgently (was going OS in a week indefinitely and the dentist said they absolutely had to come out before i went)- the nurse came back with a surgeon who could do it under local, i go "nup, not happening, keep trying" :D

I have no idea. I also had my wisdom teeth removed as a teenager and I was put under general anesthetic for that. I remember having some complications with it (my mouth wouldn't stop bleeding afterwards) but it was pretty much a non-event compared to the circumcision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
pounding headaches which were caused by the pressure of extra cerebrospinal fluid build up in my head (itself caused by a couple of other things). coupled with some searing eye pain and other visual symptoms, like halos and temporary loss of peripheral vision. extra intra-cranial pressure can lead to some loss of eyesight because of the compression of the optic nerve among other things.
had to have a lumbar puncture to solve this, which wasn't painful but felt unusual.

had a short bout of costochondritis, inflammation of rib cartilage. doubled me over, and it's an anxious kind of pain with the vicinity to the heart. they ran the angio enzyme test, but figured it was musculo-skeletal.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
pounding headaches which were caused by the pressure of extra cerebrospinal fluid build up in my head (itself caused by a couple of other things). coupled with some searing eye pain and other visual symptoms, like halos and temporary loss of peripheral vision. extra intra-cranial pressure can lead to some loss of eyesight because of the compression of the optic nerve among other things.
had to have a lumbar puncture to solve this, which wasn't painful but felt unusual.

had a short bout of costochondritis, inflammation of rib cartilage. doubled me over, and it's an anxious kind of pain with the vicinity to the heart. they ran the angio enzyme test, but figured it was musculo-skeletal.

But have you ever stubbed your toe on the couch? That's a killer.

All of these sound very hurtful. But nothing compares to standing on a piece of lego.

Worse than when i got my woo woo caught in the zipper as a child. Scars to prove it, available on request.

But have you ever stubbed your toe on the couch? That's a killer.

That's a close second

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
You reckon you had it hard?
I felt so ill watching my wife getting sliced open, I took her oxygen mask off her and starting drawing breathe violently.
The nurses rested me on the floor just for me to have to see the remnants plonk onto the floor in front of me....Now that's tough. :)

ACL/Severe Bone bruising playing squash.
Watched my knee pop out and the next 10 minutes felt like hours.

I was watching 'one born every minute' the other day and I said I wouldn't be overly interested in watching a natural birth but as soon as one had the caesarean, that's when I would have ben interested in looking - love operations

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Dislocated Shoulder is a good one - but feels so good going back in.

Did smash my head on a bar when playing on the local park equipment with the kids (not made for adults....). Geez it hurt but worse was I crunched/compressed my neck when doing it and now my lower neck/upper back has been bloody sore for 4 days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back