Worst player you've ever seen?

I never understood what England saw in Ronnie Irani. An average bowler who didn't seem to seam or swing it and nor was he especially good at keeping it tight, and he'd bat at 3 in the ODIs and seemingly fail every time I watched him.

Yet they kept persisting with him for what seemed like an inordinate amount of time.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Owais Shah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez really?

Had a more than handy T20 career and was no slouch in ODI's. Even in his few test appearances he played a couple of notable knocks in tough conditions.

If were going for Englishmen of that era I'd say Jamie Dalrymple would have to be up there for guys I've seen at international level.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
thought he was going to be an absolute gun but his career just hit a wall

tumblr_mongd7RL3K1rlqxudo1_250.gif

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
I'd be stunned if Ian Salisbury hadn't been mentioned yet. Horrific pom 1990s leggie who continually got a game seemingly because we had Warnie. Looked shocking, was worse. 15 tests for 20 wickets at 77! Worst action for a leg spinner I've ever seen too, aesthetically and functionally terrible.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I'd be stunned if Ian Salisbury hadn't been mentioned yet. Horrific pom 1990s leggie who continually got a game seemingly because we had Warnie. Looked shocking, was worse. 15 tests for 20 wickets at 77! Worst action for a leg spinner I've ever seen too, aesthetically and functionally terrible.

Surprisingly his FC record is actually reasonable, but with his natural line being outside off-stump and his limited variation he was never going to be a Test bowler of much note.

I would say Chris Schofield, a fellow English leg-spinner, was an even worse leg-spinner than Salisbury.

Of all the Australian Test players I've seen over the past 15 or so years, I would say Bryce McGain and Rob Quiney are the worst performed, but the least talented is Xavier Doherty. No flight, no turn and he couldn't even hold down an end at Test level (at ODI level he fared better). At ODI level, Mick Lewis would be the worst performed. No idea about the least talented.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Haha This title is owned by Kim Hagdorn pure and simple.

Talked himself up a treat and lasted 6 incredibly pedestrian overs. Never seen again except for referring to his 'first class' history on 6pr:D:D:D

KH's first class record: :poo::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo: (one for each over)
#crumpetface

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Saw the like of Glenn Trimble, Chris Matthews, who's bowling struggled to find a second pitch.

I saw leg spinner Johnny Watkins in his one and only Test in 1972/73. Poor bloke couldn't hit the side of a barn door from point blank range with his bowling, wides everywhere. You felt sorry for him. But at the end of a Test he was a hero. Coming in at 8/97 he and Bob Massie had a really good partnership losing his wicket at 9/184, which took Australia from a hopeless position to having a fighting chance setting Pakistan 150 to win. Max Walker duly took 6/15 and we won the Test. Pleased to see he got something out of the game.

Obviously these blokes could all play otherwise they would not have been playing at international level but the occasion obviously got the better of them.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

You win.
End thread.

I don't know what is worse in those videos. Glenn Trimble's bowling, the keeping (Wayne Phillips?) or the outfielding. That truly was a period of wholesale shitness.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I don't know what is worse in those videos. Glenn Trimble's bowling, the keeping (Wayne Phillips?) or the outfielding. That truly was a period of wholesale shitness.
Mid 1980s's was horrible time in Aussie cricket.
Wayne Phillips was the start of a trend of trying batsmen that part time keep doing it in one dayers.
He was actually a wonderful one day batsman in his own right. Probably hit the best half century I seen in a one dayers in later 80's I think. Terrible idea to have him keeping in Test side. I reckon his batting suffered as a result too. When he first started in Tests he was a dashing opener which was very refreshing after watching types like Julien Weiner, Hildtich, Dyson and Wessels bore me to tears waiting for them to move scoring along.

Back