Worst player you've ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still don't understand why former Queensland captain Chris Simpson was considered good enough to be a regular Shield player, let alone secure in his place and valuable enough to make captain. Was nominally an all-rounder, but averaged 21 with the bat and 69 with the ball in FC cricket, which is very "no-rounder" stuff.
I can tell you exactly why. Because of who his dad was. I played club cricket with him. Typical cricket boys club stuff. Nothing will ever change in that regard. Talent alone is very rarely enough.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I can tell you exactly why. Because of who his dad was. I played club cricket with him. Typical cricket boys club stuff. Nothing will ever change in that regard. Talent alone is very rarely enough.

Meanwhile, Nick Buchanan still hasn't played a FC match, and Alister McDermott (who was actually genuinely talented, with international potential) no longer has a state contract...

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meanwhile, Nick Buchanan still hasn't played a FC match, and Alister McDermott (who was actually genuinely talented, with international potential) no longer has a state contract...
The McDermott one is interesting. Being the son of Craig, he had the right ins to genuinely make it. Did he lose the drive and passion to really make it and gave it away or did Qld Cricket give up on him ??

Apr 1, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Indies
The McDermott one is interesting. Being the son of Craig, he had the right ins to genuinely make it. Did he lose the drive and passion to really make it and gave it away or did Qld Cricket give up on him ??
if you are the son of an aussie fave and still cant keep a contract it tells ya one thing... you are obviously not good enough.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
if you are the son of an aussie fave and still cant keep a contract it tells ya one thing... you are obviously not good enough.
Was it because he wasn't good enough though ?? Or did he decide to give it away and thought a good paying job was a better option ?? State cricket players hardly get paid well compared to other professional sportsmen. And maybe he felt a test spot was a bridge too far. I kind of got the feeling it was the latter.

Apr 1, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Indies
Was it because he wasn't good enough though ?? Or did he decide to give it away and thought a good paying job was a better option ?? State cricket players hardly get paid well compared to other professional sportsmen. And maybe he felt a test spot was a bridge too far. I kind of got the feeling it was the latter.
just did some research, my findings:

-first google image of him is a linkedin profile pic lmao
-is playing grade cricket in QLD still
-seems to have not have matched the hype after those injuries a couple years ago
- dunno what his body looked like before, but looks like the body of your typical B grade opening bowler
a0dd8a6baa3d900f7e42d97107d2177f

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Some guy I played with who decided to put everyeone on the boundary when the other team needs one run to win. He also threw the ball backwards for 4 in a different game and never caught the ball.

I still have bad memories. The ball backwards was off my bowling.

Also international cricketer wise I would say that Usman Afzaal or Ian Ward or some USA 2004 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Yeah that’s fair enough, he did nothing when he got his chance. He was also well past 30 from memory though when that came.

He has an international 5for if I recall

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I recall India having some shocking players in the late 90's like Dodda Ganesh, Nikhil Chopra, MSK Prasad and Sairaj Bahutule

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Dighe was important in the 3rd test, so I wouldn't include him. I guess Chopra has a ODI 5for, so he's out.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The Windies had some absolute plonkers in the never ending search for replacements for Greenidge and Haynes.

Look up Suruj Ragoonath and tell me he’s not the luckiest player to get a taste of Test cricket.

Lincoln Roberts was another one. Patterson Thompson with the ball.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Were they really that bad, or were they just made to look inferior by the extreme might of Australia at the time?

They were really inconsistent - they could spring the odd surprise, but they could just as easily underperform or play completely horribly. They were never the worst in the world though, even though the rankings might have indicated otherwise.

Now England in the mid-to-late 80's, they were truly terrible. Losing 4-0 to an unfancied Australian side at home was the icing on the cake.

Back