Worst player you've ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair Stoinis is running around with two calf strains. We need a Seam bowling all rounder

Stoinis and Handscomb by far the worst weve played in a long time

Consistently anyway. Guys like Callum Ferguson must be shaking their head at how many opportunities they've been given over the last 2 years. Especially in ODI Cricket.

Richard Gabriel, the Trinidad opener who played for the Windies in the 1984 Benson and Hedges (please don’t smoke Kids) World Series Cup in Aus. Not helped by being surrounded by Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd etc but this bloke was consistently sub-par. Averaged about 15 in that series and never seen again.

Richard Gabriel, the Trinidad opener who played for the Windies in the 1984 Benson and Hedges (please don’t smoke Kids) World Series Cup in Aus. Not helped by being surrounded by Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd etc but this bloke was consistently sub-par. Averaged about 15 in that series and never seen again.
Footage of him here (bizarrely on Dailymotion but not youtube)

Fielding and batting, yes.

Bowling? The guy was a genuinely capable spinner and with a skerrick of support from his selectors and his captains could have been a lot more effective. He took 11 wickets in an Ashes test - the guy wasn’t a complete mug.
Although he does come across as a complete mug from his commentary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Used to wonder how he could be so poor in tests yet such a beast (& pretty consistently) in ODI's & T20I's. Technique was never pretty but it's not like a white ball doesn't swing in the early overs of ODI's in NZ.

But yeah that was one of the most horrendous form lines for a batsman throughout a world cup I can ever recall. While unlikely could well still have a final to play in too!
Guptills issues at that level was he batted too slow and got bogged down. Played the complete opposite way to how he bats in one dayers and t20s. Not sure who gave him advice but it was clearly the wrong advice. Play your natural game. Guy has enough talent to be a capable test opener.

Guptills issues at that level was he batted too slow and got bogged down. Played the complete opposite way to how he bats in one dayers and t20s. Not sure who gave him advice but it was clearly the wrong advice. Play your natural game. Guy has enough talent to be a capable test opener.

I always thought he'd be the perfect guy to replace McCullum at 5 when he retired, would be able to play a similar role to that of one-day opener down there.

Colin Munro. Watching him live strengthens my feeling.

Consistently anyway. Guys like Callum Ferguson must be shaking their head at how many opportunities they've been given over the last 2 years. Especially in ODI Cricket.
To a large degree Ferguson only has himself to blame. He under performed for South Australia for a long time - a batsmen of his talent should have been pushing his FC average easily into the 40's and really should have been up around 45, but yes you are right. When you see how many opportunities others were given with similar (or worse) state records, he must wonder what he had done wrong. He got one chance, came in at 4/6 or something crazy with Philander on a hat trick and copped a freakish run out a few overs later.

I think he was perceived as a bit soft, happy enough to bat well for a decent fifty but not grind out a gutsy century.... a bit too pretty boy or whatever. Not one of the boys. Correctly or incorrectly, those were the sort of phrases that echoed through the cricketing grapevine throughout his career. I think the fact he barely got a look in after his knee injury, and was given the ass after one test is a fairly solid indicator that he was not seen to be made of "the right stuff". I don't agree with that sentiment, but it definitely felt that way.

He should have been given another few chances in the test team, but what a shocker of a match to debut in, and there was great upheaval after that one with Smith effectively giving the selectors the finger. At the time, and for a long time prior, we were crying out for batsmen with decent techniques that would - hopefully - stand up on tricky wickets and he had one of the best in the country.

That South Australian junior team was so good. We'll never know what could have been as there is a myriad of factors in play but between Ferguson, Mark Cosgrove, Dan Cullen, Cullen Bailey, Trent Kelly, Tom Plant, Oswald Jacobs and Cameron Borgas the expectation was to get a lot of international cricket out of that junior team from the early 2000's - maybe not all of them, but 2 tests, roughly 40 ODI's and only two domestic careers of any significance from that lot would be considered very disappointing. The South Australian development system through that period was very poor and a large portion of the blame lies there but obviously players have to take responsibility for their own development too.

To a large degree Ferguson only has himself to blame. He under performed for South Australia for a long time - a batsmen of his talent should have been pushing his FC average easily into the 40's and really should have been up around 45, but yes you are right. When you see how many opportunities others were given with similar (or worse) state records, he must wonder what he had done wrong. He got one chance, came in at 4/6 or something crazy with Philander on a hat trick and copped a freakish run out a few overs later.

I think he was perceived as a bit soft, happy enough to bat well for a decent fifty but not grind out a gutsy century.... a bit too pretty boy or whatever. Not one of the boys. Correctly or incorrectly, those were the sort of phrases that echoed through the cricketing grapevine throughout his career. I think the fact he barely got a look in after his knee injury, and was given the ass after one test is a fairly solid indicator that he was not seen to be made of "the right stuff". I don't agree with that sentiment, but it definitely felt that way.

He should have been given another few chances in the test team, but what a shocker of a match to debut in, and there was great upheaval after that one with Smith effectively giving the selectors the finger. At the time, and for a long time prior, we were crying out for batsmen with decent techniques that would - hopefully - stand up on tricky wickets and he had one of the best in the country.

That South Australian junior team was so good. We'll never know what could have been as there is a myriad of factors in play but between Ferguson, Mark Cosgrove, Dan Cullen, Cullen Bailey, Trent Kelly, Tom Plant, Oswald Jacobs and Cameron Borgas the expectation was to get a lot of international cricket out of that junior team from the early 2000's - maybe not all of them, but 2 tests, roughly 40 ODI's and only two domestic careers of any significance from that lot would be considered very disappointing. The South Australian development system through that period was very poor and a large portion of the blame lies there but obviously players have to take responsibility for their own development too.

I agree with your comments on Ferg when it comes to the red ball stuff. As for the white ball stuff he was very good before he did his knee and he was never really given an opportunity after that despite solid domestic form. The ODD format probably didn’t help him.

I agree with your comments on Ferg when it comes to the red ball stuff. As for the white ball stuff he was very good before he did his knee and he was never really given an opportunity after that despite solid domestic form. The ODD format probably didn’t help him.
I don't think they expected him to perform so well when he came into the ODI team so kinda get stuck with him. Did his knee, got a few chances after that and didn't do much in those matches, but it felt like they couldn't send him back to state cricket quick enough. Same thing happened with his elevation and swift demotion from the test team.

It felt like he was begrudgingly promoted when his performances at state level couldn't be ignored but sent back at the first available opportunity ("Oh well, we gave you a chance, you failed, better luck next time son."), whilst others continue to get shot after shot after shot at the international cricket with a similar standard of performance.

But like I said a lot of the blame lies with him - relative to other Australian batsmen of the last decade he had more than enough talent to lock himself in as an international batsmen (in both tests and ODI's), and not get himself into selection battles, which he has almost always ended up on the wrong side of.

Colin Munro. Watching him live strengthens my feeling.

Munro has a first class average above 50 at a strike rate of 100.
True enough in his one day career he’s not gone close to making the transition to international cricket but in a country traditionally scratching for players to average mid 40s domestically he’s head and shoulders above a lot of his countrymen

Caught a bit of the Ireland v England test and Rory Burns looked just shocking. That technique makes you wonder how he even hits it off the square. His bat face is closed nearly everytime and his backlift is the strangest I've seen in a long time. Here's hoping he plays the first test :D

Caught a bit of the Ireland v England test and Rory Burns looked just shocking. That technique makes you wonder how he even hits it off the square. His bat face is closed nearly everytime and his backlift is the strangest I've seen in a long time. Here's hoping he plays the first test :D

Weird technique but made a lot of runs domestically bashing the door down. Noone would ever say Graeme Smith, Chris Rogers or Simon Katich were by the book or pretty on the eye yet had the mental steel and confidence in their method to succeed. Deserves time.

Weird technique but made a lot of runs domestically bashing the door down. Noone would ever say Graeme Smith, Chris Rogers or Simon Katich were by the book or pretty on the eye yet had the mental steel and confidence in their method to succeed. Deserves time.

Looks pretty similar to England's long run of openers that will average about 25. From what I've seen, he doesn't even look assured before getting out around 30 like Stoneman did. Probably starts the series though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back