Worst Richmond game you've ever attended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not one I actually went to in the end:
It was the early 1990s, I was living in Richmond. Friday evening and my best mate who was also my next door neighbour asks if I want to go to Kardinia Park for the game tomorrow, he'll drive. I said something like "It's going to be really s**t weather, but sure".
Next morning I'm up at 7am making coffee and there's knocking at my door and it's my neighbour:
"You want a coffee?"
"No. Are you ready?"
"Ready for what"
"To go to the footy!"
"It's 7am. The game doesn't start for 7 hours"
"We're watching the under 19s and reserves. I told you that"
"Bullshit! No you didn't. Look at the weather. one game'll be more than enough"
"What? You're not coming"
"Are you serious? F*** no. F*** off"
"You're piss weak and not a real supporter. I thought you were a real supporter but you're not etc"

Anyway after a bit more abuse he heads off. Really wet, cold day. We got smashed. The closest of the 3 games that day was 98 points. I dropped in to see him when he got home. He was ringing wet and really unwell with a cold. I said something along the lines of "I told you so" and coped some more abuse about being a really s**t supporter.

He still hasn't forgotten and uses it as evidence from time to time to remind me that I'm not true supporter. I've never regretted my decision.

The loss to Adelaide at Telstra Dome under Frawley. The massive loss to Geelong under Wallace. The only 2 games ive left before 3qtr time

What made it worse I forced myself to stay until 3/4time before the same day drive back lol.

I had my parents staying with me that day. It was Fathers day from memory, & my first as a father. At half time i got up and left to sand the outside of the house out of anger, as we were doing a resto. Didn't even declare it, just got up and didn't come back and they heard the sander going Awful day. I would have been so angry if i had driven there for it. You did well.

I had totally forgotten the 2019 Collingwood loss too. That by far trumps everything. We lost a GF that day. Of all the years we won a GF, 2019 was the year we most deserved to win a GF. Funny how it all works sometimes.

Round 6, 2007. Enough said
That's the one. Mind you, there was another game, against the same opposition but at the MCG, in 1989, that ended up with much the same result. The one that Ablett Snr kicked 14. He had 9 by 3/4 time playing on the wing!

That late '80's Richmond team was as bad a side as we've ever fielded. Every bit as bad as the 2000's crappy sides, if not worse.

I know I could be more positive, but where's the fun in that? :tearsofjoy:

I might not have been to as many games as most of you lot, but here's 2 games I'd love to forget:

View attachment 1881722

This one for me sticks out, living in Sydney at the time as a 12 year old and watching us get murdered by the swans in the Capper days, will haunt me for ever.
What's even sadder, I was happy we stopped them from scoring 200 points against us. LOL

This one for obvious reasons

View attachment 1881724

I know it was only 20 points but gutted was an understatement.

As to that 1987 game against Sydney, Terry Wallace was a player at the club at the time (one year) but was out injured or for maybe another reason as he wasn't too popular there as a player.

Anyway the game was showing on the television in the Old England pub and Terry Wallace walks and takes an emotionally checked out look towards the television and then looked away quickly. Sydney had given it to a Essendon and the West Coast Eagles by over 100 points in the weeks before so they were on a bit of a roll at the time but we were s**t that year and for the next six.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the one. Mind you, there was another game, against the same opposition but at the MCG, in 1989, that ended up with much the same result. The one that Ablett Snr kicked 14. He had 9 by 3/4 time playing on the wing!

That late '80's Richmond team was as bad a side as we've ever fielded. Every bit as bad as the 2000's crappy sides, if not worse.

We were a basket case on and off the field in the late 80s. Culminating in almost folding in 1990. So it must have been a s**t place to be as a player.

All the best forwards used to have their way with us over that period. Dunstall especially. Didn’t help two of the best forwards the comp ever saw were at the peak of their powers over that time.

From the great man:

Nothing has changed in his critique of the administration. He was spot on then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back