Worst Richmond game you've ever attended.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got another one that haunts me to this day

1704429142552.png

Went to the Western oval with my old man and not only watched us get our butts kicked but Simon Beazley kicked 11. I was only 8 but i was so mad that day. Dogs supporters pissed me off.

I've got another one that haunts me to this day

View attachment 1882217

Went to the Western oval with my old man and not only watched us get our butts kicked but Simon Beazley kicked 11. I was only 8 but i was so mad that day. Dogs supporters pissed me off.
Don’t think I’ve ever witnessed a Richmond team ever win at that dump. (That includes VFL and AFLW) 🤮🤮🤮

Don’t think I’ve ever witnessed a Richmond team ever win at that dump. (That includes VFL and AFLW) 🤮🤮🤮
I’ve seen a couple out there but not many, the other campaigner of a ground was the velodrome, but used to have lunch before in this Italian restraunt in scat land and they did a wicked spaghetti marinara

I think I have been to that ground more times than the 'G'...the old man use to follow the Bulldoggies and loved to have a beer at the Rising Sun Hotel just across the road from the Scray Ground...win, lose or draw! I tagged along...remember seeing Teddy Whitten play his last game there in the fecking wet again!

Worst game I attended was at Waverly...Tigers V Hawks...
Bloody cold and bloody wet even a touch of hail...an absolute slugfest of mud, rain, darkness and points!
Enormous amount of points kicked something like 4 goals 26 points...raining points by both sides!
Could not tell the difference in Footy guernseys...it was so muddy and wet...even the Umpires were brown..so were the fecking seagulls! And come to think orff it, so were the bloody cold chips! Beer was the same!
So much rain fell down that game...I could not fully concentrate on the game played...all I could think orff was...feck I need a whiz...gee a whizzer would be nice! And looking backwards to see where the toilets were!
From hazy memory I think we won the game finally by 4 points...late in the last Quarter!
Had to have the ground lights on cos it was dark as...grey as...black as...wet as...the rain battered down on your head and shoulders!
Had to stop breathing when watching the slugfest otherwise the white condensation coming out from your mouth obscured your vision of the game played!
Then to top it all orff...the cherry on the top! or rather the the ice-cream on the cone!
I forgot where I parked the fecking Kombi...
Ended up walking around the ground twice in rain and mud searching for a bright yellow Kombi...
It was like a giant fecking yellow Banana when I got to the ground and first parked it! Stood out like dogs balls!
How hard can that be searching for a giant fecking yellow banana! Black as, dark as, heavy rain as...and MUD!!!
And all the time I was wearing and walking around in pristine woollen Ugg boots...
By the time I found the now brown Kombi...only cause most of the car park had emptied, and I was worried about being locked in for the night!
I had to pour the water out orff both Ugg Boots...roughly 5 and 1/2 pints of muddy water in each Ugg!
And drove the now brown Kombi home in cold freezing wet bare feet, cos the heater was not working!
Those Ugg Boots cost me heaps and they were a comfortable size 12...spesh made in NSW.
Took me roughly a week to dry the UGGs out, spinning them dry in the washing machine...rained all that week!
By the time I had dried out my Whizz Bang Ugg Boots...they must have been the size of sleeping bags from all the stretching my feet did to them walking in the rain...I never ended up fixing the Kombi heater boxes...cos my dear old brother sold the Kombi on me!
Jeeze how’d you get back to Byron Bay after that?

I don't get to Melbourne to attend too many games.
Worst games I can remember watching from a pub were the insipid effort game after Tommy Hafey died and the preliminary final loss to norf.
Worst I attended in person would be Collingwood's Preliminaryship in 2018. Cocky little Pies supporting flog in the front row spent half the last quarter facing the crowd instead of the game. I really wanted to shove the little arsehole over the fence and hope he got a pitch invasion fine.

The only problem that I had with the Cats 2007 game was that it kickstarted a Cats premiership. If I remember rightly our fans were screaming to put all of our kids in the guts to give us some hope. Wallace did so in this game and then Lingy went straight to Lids and game him the biggest bath of his career. After the game Wallace said something along the lines of "let the supporters support and let the coaches coach."

The worst games usually weren't anything about the game. It had more to do with the interactions with the crowd. In a game at Football Park Brad Gwilliam did his knee against the goal post and the crowd was cheering. Later on in the game I was standing on the wing with a mate and this woman starting swearing, calling us F'ing C's and having a full on go at us. Then her pre-teen son started having a go as well. Security came round and we pointed them out. Security said if we didn't shut up then he would kick us out. Lovely place that.

Also the final at Port wasn't much better. Sitting behind the goals at the hill end and getting our arses kicked we had to endure constant abuse from the Port fans, which is expected. However after half time there were a couple of blokes near the dunnies behind us trying to pick fights with Richmond supporters because they were bored. Look around the back and about 3 or 4 other blokes were waiting to jump in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 6, 2007. Enough said
Yep I stayed the whole game. (Mainly because I was with a mate who barracks for the cats).

Interesting that we were standing room in the pocket and I watched Nick Daffy and Benny Gale leave half way through the second quarter.

After the game I was wondering around the ground and got to the race where the Richmond players were walking off and there were all these arrogant cats supporters egging the tiger fans on to get stuck in. I actually went over and gave them a clap 👏

So glad we served up some revenge in 17, 19, 20.

Was at the game at waverley when Dunstall kicked 17 on us in 1992. Not good.

The Geelong 150pt belting was probably worse though. Group of Tiger mates I was with literally stopped watching the game and for 2 and a half quarters sat facing each other, trying to work out how the hell the club could be in a worse position than the dark days of the 80s and 90s despite finals in 2001, a decent haul of early draft picks, topping up with seemingly quality players, and all the promises and hope of Wallice 2.5 seasons in. How he lasted another 2 years after that game begs belief.

Finals - Carlton win over us when they finished 9th but Essendon was kicked out. We just rolled over. A testament to our lack of on field leadership. Thanks Lids.

The prelim in 2018 was rough going and the complete antithesis of our seasons form. I was concerned in the last few home and away games that we had lost our edge and were just getting the job done. Then didn't fire a shot. Never had a more lippy opposition fan base walking out (and in the following weeks). Luckily West Coast won the flag which was delicious justice.

Special mention re the prelim in 1995 when we got caned by the Cats at VFL Park. Expectations about putting to rest 15 years of pain were high after destroying Essendon but it wasn't to be.

Sadly I think there will be some more rough losses coming up. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Special mention re the prelim in 1995 when we got caned by the Cats at VFL Park. Expectations about putting to rest 15 years of pain were high after destroying Essendon but it wasn't to be.

Sadly I think there will be some more rough losses coming up. Just a matter of time.
Was there...a very sad exit...got smashed by around 60 points in the end! At least it wasn't pouring down rain!

Last edited:
Round 6, 2007. Enough said
Was that the Geelong game?
If so I distinctly remember turning to a Geelong fan and saying “we aren’t trying here” and walked out 14 mins in.
Was in car before quarter time and home just after half time.
I never do that stuff either but that night something was wrong and the players had the shits.

Here you go ... 1987, round 4.

Mind you, we led West Coast in round one by 33 at 3/4 time and lost by 14, conceding nine goals to one in the final quarter.
Round three amazing win over Essendon in Wallace's first game in black and yellow.
Round four, 39 points up on the Pies at 3/4 time, lost by 10.
Round five, led Sydney by 26 points at 3/4 time, lost by 20. Infamous footage of Tony Jewell tearing his hair out in the coaches box.
We folded at 3/4 time three times in five weeks.

Remember it all like yesterday.

Recently, GC game at Marvel last year, had just recovered from a bout of covid and this game was the first time I had been out of the house for two weeks. Was not worth it.

Then the 2021 game vs Saints. Could see in the warm up we were off, missed so many simple targets under no pressure. Awful game to watch.

And 2018 prelim lol
That was the last game I'd been too before moving to Queensland. Next game was the Brisbane one this year. So not too good.

Can remember attending a game as a kid circa 83/84 (?) at the mcg vs Fitzroy. We sat behind the cheersquad on the top deck of the old southern stand, punt rd end. Can remember a guy with hair like the drummer of Motorhead sitting by himself with an 80s tape deck openly blasting metal from about 10 rows back behind the cheer squad, which everyone somehow tolerated. The top deck was only 1/3 full.

We kicked a shipload of points but more importantly i cam recall the adults were talking about we were playing as individuals on the ground and i can distinctly recall the old man said at the time that the rot had set in (presumably off the back of being a good side in 1982).

And for me, ever since that day until probably 1995, 2001 and the mid 2010s, we were largely deplorable.

The long drive to Adelaide for the final v Port with mates and 3 whinging kids was tough considering we were cooked 1 minute in.
As for a game where I felt really flat I reckon the last game in Melb for cotch and Jack was horrible.
I really expected us to turn on an emotion driven performance but we were as flat as a s**t carters hat that day, think the boys were mentally cooked.
I remember another game either v Hawthorn or Melbourne after Tommy Hafey passed away and this big build up and then we were putrid.
Obviously the 2018 Prelim but that was just weird and I was actually laughing rather than upset.
It was just a very strange night.
Let’s be honest for a 20 year period there you could have written a book on our horrible ones, but nothing to complain about after all!

Played little league at half time for the 1993 round 16 game vs crows at footy park. They beat us by about a million points and modra kicked 13 goals - one of the last goals he kicked went high up in the stands and hit my team mate flush in the face

On a much more positive note I got best on ground and got a hungry jacks voucher

Worst game as far as a spectacle would be Round 18 2009. The game was an absolute farce. We were playing very poorly to the point we nearly lost to a Melbourne team who were trying to deliberately throw the game.

Worst game as far as losing would be the Elimination final against Carlton in 2013. That loss hurt the most. It was the first time we made finals since 2001 and Carlton were only there because Essendon were disqualified due to the doping scandal. We are going to go down in history as the only team to lose to a team who finished 9th in the finals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back