Worst Richmond game you've ever attended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton elimination final in 2013 was an absolute kick in the guts. We played worse in the same fixture against North Melbourne a couple of years later. Those three close losses in 2017 made me want to chuck it in (particularly the GWS one). Being down 14 goals to one against the Saints that year was pretty miserable. Last year at Marvel Stadium against the Gold Coast was about as horrid as we've played in recent years. I could go on.....
Those three losses in 2017...I was like this is the Richmond way, I didn't have the belief that we had turned the corner...years of watching the tigs lose can do that. Was the biggest WIN of all time to see us finally win the GF.

Worst I attended in person would be Collingwood's Preliminaryship in 2018. Cocky little Pies supporting flog in the front row spent half the last quarter facing the crowd instead of the game. I really wanted to shove the little a-hole over the fence and hope he got a pitch invasion fine.
Some random Pies supporter after the game put his arm around me and said something like, "Better luck next year" and then ripped my scarf off and threw it on the floor. I should have belted him, but was so shaken by the loss, the USA chant, etc

Some random Pies supporter after the game put his arm around me and said something like, "Better luck next year" and then ripped my scarf off and threw it on the floor. I should have belted him, but was so shaken by the loss, the USA chant, etc
Dog act. Got his karma in the next game though

When we got belted by North down in Hobart on a Friday night in 2016. Game was over in the first 5 minutes. We were pathetic and looked like a broken club. It was supposedly around 2 degrees but it felt more like -2. Our season was already over at this point and it was another year of Richmond misery that looked like continuing for a long time. Surprised I managed to last 3 quarters

Obviously, Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne in 1996 is a special case. We had to win (we were in finals contention) and we had to get percentage. We kicked 4.10 to quarter time, and I said to my mate 'If we kick straight, we win by 150 points'. Well, we did start to kick straight, and we won by 150.
Fitzroy were horrible (most of them were just kids), and the supporters were alternately crying and cheering every I went to Rd 1 one of their 5 goals. The end of the game was very sad with Roys supporters jumping the fence to pat the players on the back, have supporter group hugs etc. Just a sad, horrible day.

From a Richmond point of view, I went to Rd 1 in 2006 against the Dogs - Wallace's 2nd year and we were ready to go! We had shown a bit of promise in 2005 - and we then got done by 100 points and it wasn't that close. And it was at Docklands, which made it worse (seriously, why is that even a ground?).
Amazingly, we actually weren't that bad in 2006 (finished 9th), and beat Geelong in Geelong along the way. But that Rd 1 game was so depressing....................

I think our finals losses in the last decade were the worst.
When it’s a H&A, at least you have next week to redeem yourself as a club and a poor performance can be put aside.

The Carlton EF loss certainly stood out as extremely painful. Firstly we had every chance to finish top 4 and at least get a finals double chance but we bottled some games that year and although we had a good win loss record we never seemed assured when we held a lead. Even being 5 goals up against Carlton it didn’t seem near enough. They come back and we have a here we go again moment and the tidalwave of momentum they had was too much to halt. Maric gave us some hope with an inspired solo goal from the boundary but we still fell short.
I just remember feeling afterwards if it’s worth supporting this club after being the joke of the competition and even when we look like being somewhat successful the club still let you down.

The North EF wasn’t that memorable but I recall boomer getting off the leash and Taylor Hunt looked terrible as a tagger on him. Boomer had something like 37 and a couple of goals and put us to the sword.
Vickery may have been alright this game with a couple of goals???

The Collingwood PF was the worst of them all. 2018 was easily the best season of our flag years and yet we didn’t even make the grand final. All season even when clubs challenged us we always overran them and came out with the win but we barely fired a shot that night.
Cox having a breakout game was sickening in itself especially when our backline was at their very peak of their powers in 2018.
It honestly felt like a nightmare that you couldn’t wake up from.
I’m just so glad the Eagles produced what they did in the following week and make it all bearable.

Flying to SA to watch Cotch choose to kick against the wind and it only got worse from there :(
Yep, this was horrible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Brainer !!!!

1995 Prelim v Geelong in the wet @ Waverley !!!
Just come off an all time high after great comeback win over the bombers.
Had to catch a train then a bus to the ground.
Couldn't find my seat and by the time I did we were four goals down and soaked.
To top it off Michael Gale kicked a torpy 70 yards backwards !!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Game against the cats 2007, worst hammering
I've seen us get
Watching Oakley Nicholls running around thinking at the time yep another first rounder wasted , just a soul destroying night
Was easily the worst I’ve sat through, and me and my mate sat through it right til the end.
Worse part? Pissed rain before the game and we debated whether to stay at The Carron Hotel in East Melbourne and watch it on telly, or trudge over to the ground in the pouring rain and watch it in person.
Worst decision ever, especially with a few obnoxious cats fans (are they ever anything else🙄) sitting around us at the ground.

Round 1 93…

After probably the darkest 5-6 years in club history things we’re looking promising with some young guns looking likely types. Made the GF of the fosters cup and put in a pretty good showing against a strong bombers outfit.

Then back to reality crows beat us by a hundred at the G… modra kicked double figures..

There was a game against Essendon that we lost by about 10 goals or so in dreamtime in 08 or 09. We just looked bad from the get go and it seemed like no one wanted to put the effort in. I decided to not put any further effort in and left halfway through the third.

I can handle losses if it looked like more than 50% of the team showed up. I can't handle players not turning up.

There was also a game against the Saints that we won at the G when Raph Clarke was still playing for them. It was by fast one of the worst games of football I watched and me and my mates just got drunk and yelled "BALLL" anytime a player touched another player. People got pissed off at us until they realised we were doing it in marking and ruck contests.

There was a game against Essendon that we lost by about 10 goals or so in dreamtime in 08 or 09. We just looked bad from the get go and it seemed like no one wanted to put the effort in. I decided to not put any further effort in and left halfway through the third.

I can handle losses if it looked like more than 50% of the team showed up. I can't handle players not turning up.

There was also a game against the Saints that we won at the G when Raph Clarke was still playing for them. It was by fast one of the worst games of football I watched and me and my mates just got drunk and yelled "BALLL" anytime a player touched another player. People got pissed off at us until they realised we were doing it in marking and ruck contests.

I’ve been to quite a few of the games already mentioned including the mauling by Geelong at Docklands 2007, but I think the worst game I can remember attending was Round 1 2009. I think it was Ben Cousins debut for us and he did a hammy. You always seem to feel optimistic and have hope at the start of the season but that disappeared very quickly as Carlton annihilated us. Round 1 2010 was similar.

Geelong flogging us at the G in 2021 in the GF rematch. I believe we were injury ridden at the time and they thought they’ve done something by beating us.

As a pair of games, living in Sydney in 2016, and a bit of a full on year for work so only getting to be in Sydney or Canberra that year. I got to go to two games for that season.

View attachment 1884305

View attachment 1884306

At least it meant I got to go to a lot more the next year!

Still have nightmares about that game in Manuka. Rance played an incredibly game though.

remember that dreamtime game-

nightmare at the g

The long drive to Adelaide for the final v Port with mates and 3 whinging kids was tough considering we were cooked 1 minute in.
As for a game where I felt really flat I reckon the last game in Melb for cotch and Jack was horrible.
I really expected us to turn on an emotion driven performance but we were as flat as a s**t carters hat that day, think the boys were mentally cooked.
I remember another game either v Hawthorn or Melbourne after Tommy Hafey passed away and this big build up and then we were putrid.
Obviously the 2018 Prelim but that was just weird and I was actually laughing rather than upset.
It was just a very strange night.
Let’s be honest for a 20 year period there you could have written a book on our horrible ones, but nothing to complain about after all!
I was living in Adelaide at the time. Even though I had to catch the train home on the Port line (Outer Harbour line) with heaps of ungracious Port supporters, I felt so sorry for those who's made the long drive from Melbourne. Would have been s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back