Worst Songs of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing about Lorde is she's a pretty awkward lyricist when her lyrics are no longer about being an awkward teenager (cringey phrase but still). She often uses non-sequiturs and the wrong tenses for words, or changes the meaning of a word so it fits into a rhyme or section. She has a really odd way of saying things and it's a bit like when you're a kid and make up lyrics and just chuck in words that sound right even though it makes no sense.

I just heard Iggy azalea's new song, Mo Bounce..I just don't get it. I won't post the youtube clip, I'm assuming there'll be a radio friendly version. lol

anyway, here's an article about her new song with the audio.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7736381/iggy-azalea-new-single-mo-bounce-listen
I really don't understand. Lyrics are ******* terrible, beat is abysmal, there is not one single redeeming quality about the track. Not one. It's complete garbage.

But watch this get millions of hits while bands that are actually good get passed over again and again.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
I really don't understand. Lyrics are ******* terrible, beat is abysmal, there is not one single redeeming quality about the track. Not one. It's complete garbage.

But watch this get millions of hits while bands that are actually good get passed over again and again.
This just about sums up what is wrong with the music industy in 2017.
And she was judging musical talent not so long ago on a commerical tv station :drunk:

And that talent show, X Factor, has been axed by ch7 lol

I wonder how long it took her to write these lyrics lol and, the worst part is seeing kids dancing to this song in her video clip

Chorus:

Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce
Bounce, bounce, bounce (to the red light)
Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce
Bounce, bounce, bounce (make your headlight)
Bounce, b-bounce, bounce, b-bounce

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
I just heard Iggy azalea's new song, Mo Bounce..I just don't get it. I won't post the youtube clip, I'm assuming there'll be a radio friendly version. lol

anyway, here's an article about her new song with the audio.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7736381/iggy-azalea-new-single-mo-bounce-listen
3cd8a33a.png

hirdy_is_champ

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2003
tunnel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
I don't know who produced Green Light but I see Lorde is following Taylor Swift's footsteps by singing pop songs now
The thing I can't stand about Lorde is her really forced American accent she puts on when she sings. First time I heardher music I couldn't believe she was kiwi. It's really pathetic.

The only song I like of hers is Magnets with Disclosure.

This might help, no one likes the song:

IGGY Azalea’s ‘comeback’ single has bounced out of the Australian Top 100 after just one week.

The Australian-born, US-based rapper’s divisive Mo Bounce debuted at No. 63 in Australia last week on 2887 sales.

This week Mo Bounce sinks to No. 119 with just 1541 sales.

The track features Azalea saying the word ‘bounce’ over 130 times in just over three minutes.

Azalea conducted a string of interviews with Australian radio last week to help promote the single which is sitting at No. 73 on the list of most-played songs on local stations.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...o/news-story/f234973e306ce43a800cdacc43adc9b2

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since we have already spoken about Lorde's Green Light, I will post this article in this thread.

Lorde Turned Down Max Martin’s Advice on “Green Light”

Winston Cook-Wilson // April 12, 2017

In a new profile of Lorde in The New York Times Magazine, the New-Zealand-reared singer-songwriter born Ella Yelich-O’Connor details, among many other things, the genesis of her new album Melodrama. The record is largely a collaboration between her primary producer/co-songwriter/pal Jack Antonoff of Fun. and Bleachers fame. The songs have, by Lorde’s account, many points of inspiration: from Kate Bush (at one point in the article, Antonoff encourages Lorde to “do it weird and Kate Bushy”) to Robyn (whose image Antonoff and Lorde placed on the upright piano when they performed on SNL last month) to just whatever she was listening to on Top 40 radio at the time.

Antonoff and Lorde mostly tried to keep to themselves, but they apparently workshopped Melodrama’s first single, “Green Light,” with veteran pop mastermind Max Martin, responsible for hits from Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone” to Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off.”

Martin did not think the song was a hit. According to Lorde, he called it “incorrect songwriting” and objected to the marked key change that occurs when the heavy piano part kicks in on the pre-chorus (in Top 40 hits these days, key changes are either reserved for amplified final choruses–see Lady Gaga’s “Perfect Illusion”–or, much more often, occur not at all), as well as some other structural details.

Here’s the relevant passage from the Times profile:

When Max Martin heard “Green Light” shortly before its release, she told me, “he had a very specific opinion, which had to do with the melodic math — shortening a part” … Martin described “Green Light” as a case of “incorrect songwriting,” Lorde said, clarifying that this “wasn’t an insult, just a statement of fact,” and one, furthermore, that she agreed with: “It’s a strange piece of music.” (The press-averse Martin declined to comment.) On top of the left-field key change, “the drums don’t show up on the chorus until halfway through, which creates this other, bizarre part.”

The commentary seems to fit easily with Martin’s philosophy of songwriting, as explicated in a rare, recently-unearthed interview with the producer in a Swedish magazine. “There shouldn’t be too much information in the overall sound,” Martin explained. “I work a lot on getting it all as clear and distinct as possible. There should never be too many new elements introduced at the same time. One at a time. Like in a movie. You can’t introduce ten characters in the first scene. You want to get to know one before you’re ready for the next.”

But Lorde still ended up making the song as she wanted to make it, though its collage-like structure may have contributed to its slightly disappointing chart performance. (It peaked at #19, and has fallen since.) “‘When it comes to ‘melodic math,” Lorde told the Times Magazine, ‘I have a strong awareness of the rules — 60 percent of the time I follow them; 40 percent, I don’t.'” And in Martin’s interview, he too acknowledged that trends and formulas change. One quote makes one think of Melodrama’s second single “Liability”: “A hit can be someone just singing to piano music, anything.”

http://www.spin.com/2017/04/lorde-green-light-max-martin-songwriting/

Incorrect or not, I just think the song sounds odd.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's got a weird structure, it tends to build up quickly - the first verse is unrelated to the rest and I can't even remember if there are verses in between the main hook.

Max Martin is a great songwriter but he can sound formulaic.

The song sounds a little wobbly and odd but it works, Bowie used to play with structures like that and it keeps you coming back and it makes for good reward listens.

Might read about this later and post more, absolutely love talking about the dynamics and makings of a song.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Strawberry Kisses? That song was released over 10 yrs ago, and it was awful back then - why re-release it?

Something to raise money for charity (not sure of the %) and presumably to get Webster back in the headlines. What's worse is (a) it's being flogged on Sunrise ("the comeback of the millennium"), (b) apparently it's #8 on the iTunes chart and (c) that Sunrise flog weatherguy Sam Mac sings AND RAPS on the track.

Handsuper47

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I was about to click on that Nicki Minaj and Jason Derulo song, but first I wanna know, does he say his name at the start?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back