pickettline

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2002
Traralgon Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
new york yankees
in another post i detailed the best performances i have seen while following the club.this time another trip down memory lane with my worst moments as a supporter of the roos. the worst would have to be the preliminary final vs geelong when i think we were destined to win the grand final but for a fluky pass to ablett.who can forget the image of mick martyn on the mark.another that comes to mind was a game at arden street when malcolm blight was given a free kick about thirty metres out in appalling conditions vs hawthorn.the final siren had gone and north was one point down with blight's kick to come.the kick sailed over the boundary line and poor malcolm was looking for a hole to jump into. my final worst moment came,believe it or not from a winning performance . we have all seen the footage of malcolm blight's huge kick against carlton to win the game,well i was there but left the game with five minutes to go and the kangas about twenty points down and looking well beaten.imagine having the chance to see such a memorable moment and blowing it. i am sure there have been some other shockers but those three are my worst.

roos rule in 2002

byron is best

the 98 GF for sure,still bugs me that we were a 5 or 6 goal better team than the crows.....definitely the one that got away.
also the second sydney game last year, iwas at the scg for that one and was actually embarassed at the way we played....
94 Pf was bad but i dont think we would have beaten the eagles the next week anyway........

98 Grand Final... we just blew it...

94 PreliminaryFinal... was probably a bigger heartbreak... as they were just lucky

93 Round 22... beat out of top spot by Footscray... Grgic's only good game... Johnny Longmire breaks leg... Brett Allison injuried misses Finals... in 93 we were something special and probably could have given it a damn good shake if round 22 worked out a little different... who knows... after all Essendon beat Carlton to win the flag... and they both were not that good... we beat both by 38... during the home and away...

I nominated the 1994 PF because it came down to luck in the end. An absolute garbage kick from one of our cast offs, finds a bloke who had just about forgotten what the Sherrin looked like that day.

1998 deserves no sympathy, because North played themselves out of it that day.

That Essendon game in 2000, with the first quarter whitewash, was the first time many of us were made to realise we just weren't the same team anymore that had won the 1999 flag just 9 months before.

Originally posted by Darky
1994 PF, final siren. Easily the worst.

Closely followed by the 1998 GF.

"It wasn't a pull , it was more of a twinge and I stopped immediately"
"I will miss the match in WA next week ,then we have a bye ,so I should be right for the first game."
Micheal Martyn Herald /Sun 10/3/2002

Ah, Pickettline, the Blight / Hawthorn game. The way I remember it was even worse.
It was 1976 (same year he kicked the monster to beat Carlton) & I thought he was only 15m out, on a bit of an angle. We were 1 point down & he snapped a point to tie the scores but was pushed in the back in the act of kicking. Because the free wasnt after he kicked, he didn't get an additional shot but was given the option of taking the kick again.
With the memory of the heroics against Carlton, he took that option to kick a goal to win by 5 points after the siren. So the point came off the scoreboard & he proceeded to put it out on the full & we lost by 1 point.

What a champion he was though.

Apart from the obvious Finals' debacles will never forget Johnny Longmire missing the four goals needed to get the ton. Didn't care about the win, just wanted him to surpass that dead Essendon pr*** as the youngest ever player to kick the hundred and he ended up with about 2.8 and one on the full. The Collingwood turds were laughing at him all day!!

Originally posted by crazyhorse
Apart from the obvious Finals' debacles will never forget Johnny Longmire missing the four goals needed to get the ton. Didn't care about the win, just wanted him to surpass that dead Essendon pr*** as the youngest ever player to kick the hundred and he ended up with about 2.8 and one on the full. The Collingwood turds were laughing at him all day!!

Still the youngest Coleman medalist...

94 PF was a huge disappointment - 95 was maybe worse because it was pouring with rain and I was sitting in the Ponsford stand. Both made 96 win all the sweeter.

98 GF was horrible but 99 kind of made it alright.

First final 2000 v Essendon was a nightmare, just when it couldn't get worse Lloyd kicked 100. Still makes me sick to remember it. PF was also appalling, mainly because I was back at the Ponsford end, just near the fence and surrounded by Melbourne fans. Sooner they demolish that dump (Ponsford stand or Melbourne FC, either would be ok) the better. And so far there's no sweet success to remove the bitter taste of those two outings, so they are still my worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the 94 PF was awful, I remember thinking "we're gonna win we're gonna' be in the grany next week... if we can just kick straight !"

When the ball ballooned over Micky's head, his arms flailing wildly and frantically (but to no avail), and Ablett , who'd done nothing all day , watched the ball land in his lap - it would have had to have been the lowest point in my football spectating career. When that goal went through and then the siren went....:(

I remember going home that night and my housemates gave me sh-it about losing - they were all Collingwood supporters - just typical ! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Hearts to hearts
95 was maybe worse because it was pouring with rain and I was sitting in the Ponsford stand.

That must have been a truly awful experience :(
The only good thing about that night was Schwatta's big bump :D

'01 - Both of last years losses in Sydney were the worst 3 hours I have ever spent at the football.

'94 - nuff said (wish they'd stop playing it on FOXTEL! :mad: )

'98 - it would be a little more bearable if it wasn't the Crows (at least it wasn't the Swans I guess)

'93 - Game where Johnny was injured in the last round.

'87 - EF against Melbourne.

Most of 1984.....

any sane north supporter would say '94 pf , they don't come any worse than that

actually the only worse scenario that i can think of was haw-melb game, late '80s , when buckenara kicked a goal after the siren

Remove this Banner Ad

Back