thegreig

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2010
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars BBL
does any one know who was the worst team in the history of the VFL/AFL (i assume it's university) and are GOLD Coast on there way to being worse?

does any one know who was the worst team in the history of the VFL/AFL (i assume it's university) and are GOLD Coast on there way to being worse?

A number of teams had winless seasons in the VFL era. If the Gold Coast were to lose their first 14 games and have a percentage under 50, that would be the equivalent of the full-season records St Kilda posted in the first few VFL seasons.

In the AFL era:

Fitzroy 1996 - 1 win, 21 losses, 49.5%

Hawthorn 1928 - 0 wins, 18 losses, 48%
North Melbourne 1934 - 0 wins, 18 losses, 45%

Would suggest GC17 will have a better record than this by their 18th game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

University lost the most matches in a row - 51 from early 1912 to their demise at the end of the 1914 season.

However, if you want the worst team in one season only, that dubious honour would belong to St Kilda's winless 1899 side, which had a percentage of just 28.

What is the best and worst team in AFL (not VFL) history?

I'd assume it's West Coast and Fremantle - barring Gold Coast - in respective order.

Nope in both cases.

Geelong and Essendon both have a better winning percentage than the eagles since 1990... and Richmond, Bears, Fitzroy (and obviously GC) all have worse records than Freo.

Nope in both cases.

Geelong and Essendon both have a better winning percentage than the eagles since 1990... and Richmond, Bears, Fitzroy (and obviously GC) all have worse records than Freo.
But my signature clearly says otherwise Esti. I'll stick with the team who has the most AFL flags and finals series.

Richmond have been the worst team in the AFL era, Bears and Fitzroy haven't been around since 96.

University's overall record makes for some horrendous reading - something like 97 losses in their 120-odd games total over seven seasons, including four straight wooden spoons.

Will have to blame your own captain for that then. There were no umpire's in 1899 and games were umpired by the captains of each club.

i never knew that, what a recipe for disaster that would have been. I can only imaging how many fights and arguments there would have been in local footy.

Why do Victorians always bring ancient history into things?
The VFL finished as the major league in 1989 whilst the actual Australian football legue which was the real formation of a National competition began in 1990.
Therefore whoever lost 50 games in a row or won 7 premierships back in the 20's and 30's really is totally insignificant Today.
How can any club continually brag in modern Footy how they have won 15 premierships is almost unbelievable.
Clubs like Adelaide,Brisbane,Fremantle,Gold Coast ,Port ,West Coast and soon GWS weren't around in those days so how can anyone have bragging rights?:confused:
Come on with the poor attempts at excuses Vics!:cool:

why is it based on stats and not how the team played as a whole. I know a loss is a loss but take the eagles against sydney 2 weeks back as an example.

My pick brisbane bears. That team had no idea what they were doing on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back