Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
So, what are the worst trades that didn't happen? Those where team A made an offer Team B said no to - and down the track Team A goes thank god they didn't, and Team B goes damn why did we do that?

Three spring to mind that I'm aware of.

#3 2006, Melbourne offer their 2nd rounder to Essendon for Jason Johnson. We turn it down. Damn it!

#2 2009, Collingwood try and offload pick #30 + Wellingham for an upgraded pick to offer St Kilda for Ball. North turns that down. St Kilda doesn't take Welligham or #30. Ball leaves for nothing, Collingwood use #30, St Kilda have Wellingham and Ball on the opposite side in the Grand Final. In hindsight, Collingwood screwed up making the offer, but North and St Kilda screwed up not taking it.

#1 2006, Geelong shop Steve Johnson around. Said to have had a medical at Essendon and another team (was it Carlton? I forget). Rumour was they wanted pick #18 or #20 from us. Meant to have not passed the medical at either of the interested clubs. In hindsight, Essendon would wonder why we turned it down, Geelong would be glad we didn't accept.

Any others?

Collingwood also tested Steve Johnson and said no.

Also Collingwood tried had Joe Misiti signed but failed to lodge the paperwork on time - which was lucky as he only played one or two more seasons as he was too slow

He was coming off an AA season, but Fremantle wanted Darren Gaspar and offered pick #1 in the Judd/Hodge/Ball draft.

We said no, so Fremantle went after another defender and got Croad.

Richmond back then, with Greg Beck as recruiting manager, probably would have used the pick on Polak, Clarke or Sampi though. :eek:

Last year, Hawthorn offered us pick 19, and another later pick (cant remember what round, might have even been pick 36 or something) for Josh Hill. For some unknown reason, we didn't take it, and at the end of the year we will either delist him or give him away for very little.

A few years back Ryan Ferguson from melb was nearly traded for Sewell, but in the end ferguson changed his mind and the trade didnt happen, Lucky for Haw and unlucky for us.

In 2004 when we were trying to get a second first rounder for the Ottens trade Collingwood had a number of Geelong mids they were willing to give up their first pick for, one K.Tenace was on that list.

On top of Steve Johnson, Cameron Mooney was very nearly traded to the saints circa 05/06ish as well.

In 2004 when we were trying to get a second first rounder for the Ottens trade Collingwood had a number of Geelong mids they were willing to give up their first pick for, one K.Tenace was on that list.

On top of Steve Johnson, Cameron Mooney was very nearly traded to the saints circa 05/06ish as well.

Geelong offered Melbourne C.Enright to try and get the Ottens trade through, we knocked it back in favour of Moloney. To be fair Moloney has had his injuries and has been a good player for us.

Carlton knocked back a trade of Andrejs Everitt for Walker.

Thank God.

Fevola for Bradshaw and Rischitelli.

Hawthorn offered two second round picks for Thornton, but with Bret our only backman and four picks in the first 35 selections, we said understandably said no.

Double whammy in hindsight.

I think Melbourne and the Dogs offered their first pick in the 2005 draft for Whitnall.

I would have taken it and run.

Carlton knocked back a trade of Andrejs Everitt for Walker.

Thank God.

Fevola for Bradshaw and Rischitelli.

Hawthorn offered two second round picks for Thornton, but with Bret our only backman and four picks in the first 35 selections, we said understandably said no.

Double whammy in hindsight.

I think Melbourne and the Dogs offered their first pick in the 2005 draft for Whitnall.

Would you rather a) Rischitelli and Bradsaw or b) Lucas and Henderson?

We would have got bent over big time with that one.
Might have made up for the McLean trade;)

The story goes that Port offered Pick 9 for Hampson. If we took it, Jacobs would have stayed and we would have another top 10 youngster on our list. Hampson is showing some improvement though. Bad rejection by us if true.

Also believe Port offered a third rounder for Jordan Russell. Russell came into his own the next season. Very glad we did not accept this trade.

Considering Bradshaw has already retired, I am pretty happy with x2 kids who could play for the club for the next 8-10 years ..........

(cue the "Lucas, a second year player, sucks and Henderson can't play forward or back" trolls ........)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Bradshaw has already retired, I am pretty happy with x2 kids who could play for the club for the next 8-10 years ..........

(cue the "Lucas, a second year player, sucks and Henderson can't play forward or back" trolls ........)

lol. I can't see what Lucas has done wrong in his short career. I have actually been quite impressed by him the times I have seen him play.

With Henderson, I actually thought he was showing some really good signs late last season. For me you could see all the positives on display and I thought with a bit more polish this guy could really work out. He is still so young and has plenty of time. I reckon he will prove a lot of people wrong tbh.

Holland to Adelaide.

We were going to give him a massive pay pack before the Tigers came over the top with a higher amount and did some questionable things to be able to do so.

Last year, Hawthorn offered us pick 19, and another later pick (cant remember what round, might have even been pick 36 or something) for Josh Hill. For some unknown reason, we didn't take it, and at the end of the year we will either delist him or give him away for very little.

Wasnt it 37 & 66 Hawthorn offered?
I thought the deal fell through because we didnt offer our first round pick.

#3 2006, Melbourne offer their 2nd rounder to Essendon for Jason Johnson. We turn it down. Damn it!

Scored us Ricky Petterd! Quite a good player, although we could have snared Tippett or Goldstein instead. 2006 was one hell of a draft...

If the rumours were to be believed, Carlton would have neither now if you chose a), with Bradshaw retired and Rischitelli knocking back the Carlton offer because he'd already signed on with the GC for the following year but Carlton wanting to extend his contract for a year or two past GC's window.

I'm pretty sure I heard that in 2005 the Crows offered Port pick 17 for Damon White but Port said no as they wanted our pick 16. In the end I'm glad it went down like that but we didn't exactly use the pick wisely.

I'm pretty sure I heard that in 2005 the Crows offered Port pick 17 for Damon White but Port said no as they wanted our pick 16. In the end I'm glad it went down like that but we didn't exactly use the pick wisely.

lol, the funny and tragic thing is that we apparently wanted the earlier pick because we wanted pfieffer too!! did he ever even debut??

someone can probably give more detail but i heard toby thurston was pretty much gone ( i think to hawks) for a decent pick ( again i think 2nd round or maybe late 1st cant remember). was done and dusted, except some idiot put the paperwork in 1 minute late.

#2 2009, Collingwood try and offload pick #30 + Wellingham for an upgraded pick to offer St Kilda for Ball. North turns that down. St Kilda doesn't take Welligham or #30. Ball leaves for nothing, Collingwood use #30, St Kilda have Wellingham and Ball on the opposite side in the Grand Final. In hindsight, Collingwood screwed up making the offer, but North and St Kilda screwed up not taking it.

Not doing that deal allowed to get an extra pick and having that extra pick gave us the flexibility to take a punt and snaffle Ryan Bastinac before getting our original target Aaron Black a few picks later.

More than happy with the way it panned out.

The best of these is the Veale Deal. Footscray thought they were being tremendously clever by snaffling Jade Rawlings who were targeting.

Rawlings did stuff all at the Western Oval except cost the Dogs money. Few years later, the Dogs do a deal with us where they pay Rawlings salary and swap third rounders, pushing us up three spots.

Rawlings played a few games for us, didn't do too much.

But the pick the Dogs gave us became Spitta Swallow.

Doesn't make up for the Hay stuff up, but by not getting Rawlings when we wanted him, we ended up far better off.

Geelong offered Melbourne C.Enright to try and get the Ottens trade through, we knocked it back in favour of Moloney. To be fair Moloney has had his injuries and has been a good player for us.

Enright was a coaches pet and would have never been offered. Two that I've heard about were that Brittain wanted to trade Fevola to the Cats and he was saved when Pagan came in, and early doors in his career Ratten was also nearly traded to the Cats for peanuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back