Worst umpired game you've seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the game that made me start the thread. I think Essendon's first 5 goals were from free kicks, and a few of them were absolute howlers. I wrote on the Hawks board about it earlier, but Cox took an amazing mark on the goal line that Goldspink decided, from 30 metres away, was a goal to Essendon—despite the goal ump thinking differently and the replays showed was clearly a mark.
This is the game that made me start the thread. I think Essendon's first 5 goals were from free kicks, and a few of them were absolute howlers. I wrote on the Hawks board about it earlier, but Cox took an amazing mark on the goal line that Goldspink decided, from 30 metres away, was a goal to Essendon—despite the goal ump thinking differently and the replays showed was clearly a mark.
You must therefore have had some sympathy for the Crows a few years later v Hawks in 2012

You must therefore have had some sympathy for the Crows a few years later v Hawks in 2012
I did actually. There were some howlers there. Nothing like 2001 though. The 2014 PF was terrible as well, but both teams benefitted at points from poor decisions.

Can't remember the year but Kelvin Templeton kicked 15 against us including I think 6 or 7 in the last. By the end of the game the umpire was paying Templeton the mark if the ball went with 10 metres of him. He was getting no more than a fingernail to some of the marks he was paid. The one he took to kick his 13th, Trevor Barker just started laughing.

We were always going to lose but Templeton was gifted about 4 goals.

There was a Fitzroy v Adelaide game in the 1990s that was shown on here a while ago, I think there's a YouTube video of it. I'm not saying the umpires were paid off in that game, but if the umpires were ever paid off to fix an AFL match, that's probably what it would look like. WWE-calibre officiating.

The 2012 game between Geelong and West Coast at Subiaco was pretty special as well. I don't think either team was particularly favoured, but Eagles and Cats fans will remember it as the game where we saw about as many deliberate out of bounds decisions as we had in all the games played up to that point (and it was pretty late in the season). It was bordering on comical.

Possibly the worst single decision I've ever seen in my life was an incorrect interchange infringement paid against Geelong in a game against Hawthorn a few years back, when Hawthorn was mounting a furious comeback. The interchange steward got it completely wrong even though that was his only job. Considering how costly those penalties are, how the wrong decision could have easily cost Geelong the game (from memory Hale kicked a goal from the top of the square, cutting the margin to under a kick, then Geelong steadied) and considering how easy it is to judge whether an infringement has been paid, that one takes some topping. I can't remember a single decision making me so angry; it even turned the tables on AFL 360 the following Monday, where Gerard became a raving lunatic when recapping the incident and Robbo looked calm and measured in comparison.

You nearly got the exact three that popped immediately in my mind involving Geelong.

Worst game was the 2012 West Coast game - as you mentioned it didn't really favour either side, but certainly memorable for how farcical it became by the end.

As for decisions - the interchange 'infringement' against Hawthorn was one; but the other that sprang to my mind that you didn't mention was a game against Carlton a few years ago (maybe 2014?), when Hawkins was lining up for a set shot at goal and was called to play on as he was walking in to take his kick. That one blew my mind simply because I don't know how the umpire could have possibly gotten it wrong - he was halfway through his approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first Easter Monday game between hawthorn and Geelong

Geelong players were literally sitting on their opponents to prevent them reaching the next contest
Lots of blatant holding the balls (players putting the ball on the ground after being tackled, then scooping it to a passer by), and my all time favourite, lance Franklin being done for holding the ball, despite being tackled into the fence

Speaking of interchange infringements - when Stevie J knocked Crowley into the interchange area, and they called a free for Geelong. Don't think anyone agreed with that, lacked common sense.
Or when it was out on the full against Geelong, and ling grabbed the ball, and the umpire called play on

This is probably coloured by the veil of time but when I was about 7 years old in the early 90's there was a game between Essendon and West Coast (I was living in perth at the time) which almost had the street I lived on rioting. It must have been 90 or 91 before the Eagles won their first flag and folks mellowed out a bit. It was played at Windy Hill and I remember Sumich being shoved in the back on the lead over and again in a close last quarter. No free kicks were paid to The Eagles and they lost, there was people coming out of their houses into the street screaming and swearing.

This was in Maddington which was a pretty dodgy area of Perth, not sure what it's like now I havn't been there in 20 years.

Haha! Maddington is still pretty suss ! Lived there a coupla years ago.

Let's start by saying "woah, a Hawthorn supporter talking about worst umpired games".

Now we've gotten that out of the way, I can also suggest the answer to the question is every game Hawthorn has played this year. However, there must be others you guys have seen—and there may actually be some of you who disagree.
No, we haven't got that out of the way.

2013 elimination final vs Richmond. Tigers were up by 30 pts midway thru the 2nd after consecutive 50m penalty goals.

Anyone remember when Jarrad Waite punched the ball into the crowd when a goal was kicked? Free kick in the square for a 12 pt play.

Probs worst umpired game this year - swans vs hawks at the scg. So many umpire love children they got confused

Round 1 2012, Essendon vs North. Absolutely atrocious. You can hear in the replay how much the umpires are getting booed off the ground. The loudest booing I've ever heard, louder than the four games I've been to that were decided by a kick after the siren. Absolutely robbed, North didn't deserve to get within 10 goals, umpires tried everything to drag them over the line, surprised they didn't give Goldmine a 50 for no reason so he would kick the goal after the siren.

You nearly got the exact three that popped immediately in my mind involving Geelong.

Worst game was the 2012 West Coast game - as you mentioned it didn't really favour either side, but certainly memorable for how farcical it became by the end.

As for decisions - the interchange 'infringement' against Hawthorn was one; but the other that sprang to my mind that you didn't mention was a game against Carlton a few years ago (maybe 2014?), when Hawkins was lining up for a set shot at goal and was called to play on as he was walking in to take his kick. That one blew my mind simply because I don't know how the umpire could have possibly gotten it wrong - he was halfway through his approach.

Yeah, true. I was at that game. I think he kicked four straight that night as well, so you would have backed him in to slot it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back