Worst umpiring decision this year is....

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on your definition of worst decision.
What if they didn't see something properly? For example that Smith one in the OP, he was off balance and fell and from some angles with players in the way it may have looked like a free. mps don't get slo mo replays from 6 angles. Often a htb is missed because the ump is on the wrong side of the pack and doesn't see how/if the ball comes out. There was one last night in the Swans Hawks game where the ball came out and Swans player grabbed it and the ump assumed the Hawks players still had it and pinged him a few seconds later.

Or are we talking about decisions where the ump saw it all and made a s**t call? They are far worse IMO.

Josh Jenkins shot that hit the post given a goal. Cost Port a finals birth.
Cost them a finals spot? Even if they won that that they are missing by %

The illegal Shepard off the marking contest that Caddy put on Aaron Francis that got Jack Riewoldt a free goal from the square a few weeks ago. Couldn’t have been more obvious & that would be close the the definition of why that rule exists

The illegal Shepard off the marking contest that Caddy put on Aaron Francis that got Jack Riewoldt a free goal from the square a few weeks ago. Couldn’t have been more obvious & that would be close the the definition of why that rule exists

If you think that was even close to the worst decision, you really need to watch more football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast v Carlton earlier in the year. McKay for Carlton leaps for the ball, misreads and the ball goes over his head. The umpire pays a push in the back against West Coast. The West Coast defender didn’t even touch him, let alone push him in the back. He was a metre behind McKay.

To top it off, the commentator (Brown?), after the replay showed it shouldn’t have been a free kick, exclaimed “who cares if it wasn’t a free kick? We just want to see goals!”

Actually, I want to see a correctly officiated game.

Ricky Henderson's bomb from 55 last night should not have happened. Breust had his shot that fell short and Mitchell got in the way of the man on the mark so the umpire brought it back and gave Breust another kick. This happens all the time in games and is silly. If Mitchell is breaking the rules then there should be a free kick against him. If it was an opposition player getting in the way it would be 50. If Bruest kicks the goal do they still call it back? Silly rule.

Ricky Henderson's bomb from 55 last night should not have happened. Breust had his shot that fell short and Mitchell got in the way of the man on the mark so the umpire brought it back and gave Breust another kick. This happens all the time in games and is silly. If Mitchell is breaking the rules then there should be a free kick against him. If it was an opposition player getting in the way it would be 50. If Bruest kicks the goal do they still call it back? Silly rule.

The player on the mark should be in a “protected zone”. Many times I’ve seen players manning the mark, being shepherded away, before the play on has been called.

Interfere with player on mark, reverse the kick.

The player on the mark should be in a “protected zone”. Many times I’ve seen players manning the mark, being shepherded away, before the play on has been called.

Interfere with player on mark, reverse the kick.

Just happened again in our game. Brisbane player interfered with the man on the mark and I think it was Rich got a second kick.

Just happened again in our game. Brisbane player interfered with the man on the mark and I think it was Rich got a second kick.
Wouldn't this imply that it isn't free kick for interfering with the man on the mark? It is against the rules to take the kick, it is not a free kick. Whether it should be is another discussion, but if a decision is completely in line with the rules, you can't call it the worst of the year. I might be wrong, but I have never seen a free kick paid for it.

Lachie Henderson took a courageous mark on the boundary line yesterday, on every day and in every universe it was a mark right in front of the umpire. A Gold Coast player with his Geelong opponent ran into him, knocked him over and hurt him. The ball fell over the boundary line. The umpire called for a throw in.

There wasn't even a pack to obscure his decision, he must have just had a brain fade.

Deliberate OOB against Puopolo last night was interesting.
I reckon the holding the ball one where the Hawthorn player didn't even have it was worse.

The puopolo one I kind of understand. If it was a defender doing the same thing no one would have a problem with it, but the rule doesn't really allow for this kind of interpretation. You either believe the player is doing everything they can to keep the ball in play or you don't, regardless of where the ball is located. So I think technically the decision was justified.

Having said that however, there are probably hundreds of instances where the umpires don't pay them against forwards and do against defenders so Hawks fans have a right to feel ripped off.

Yep. That needs to be looked at in the off season. If it's your own player then free kick to the opposition surely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back