Worst venue in Australia - Festival Hall?

Remove this Banner Ad

Been going there for 35 years and it's barely changed, apart from the wire which I don't like. If you look at The Beatles video from one of their shows there it's not much different now. There's plenty of sanitised venues around these days and I love going to Festival Hall, bring back all the memories and is a real rock venue. And yes, only a casual or a kid would buy a ticket on the side. As someone else said, second only to The Forum.

Refurbish it? ffs... just don't go there if it bothers you so much.

I've seen more gigs at Festival Hall than I can remember, and while the venue facilities are pretty lame the venue acoustics aren't too bad. Much better than the music bowl/AMI park, much better than concerts at Etihad and The Metro.

I think I've only been there twice, Morrissey in 2013 and Interpol in 2008. But yeah I remember not liking it at all.

Was there for this gig (about a week before Christmas in 2012?). Was my first time at the venue (don't live in Melbourne), and found the place strangely charming.

Getting caught up in a random sing-along of "Half a Person" with total strangers while walking out at the end of the gig is one of my funnier and fonder live music memories, too.

OP is right in practically everything he says but I just can't help but love the joint lol.

Just so many good memories of amazing shows.. Kasabian, Stone Temple Pilots, Tool, Radiohead.. hell even my very first 'proper' rock gig when I was still in high school, Presidents of the USA, was pretty awesome :$

Challenge Stadium in Perth would have to be up there. Makes Subiaco look like a modern, world class venue.

In Melbourne. Billboards gets my vote for worst. Extremely poor layout for a music venue, lots of blind spots. Nigh impossible to get a drink, and exiting the venue takes forever. Palais Theatre has extremely poor ventalation, and is by far the most uncomfortable venue I've been to on a hot day, and if you are more than half way back in the stalls you can't see a thing. Festival Hall's main issue is being in a really inconvient location, but I find the experience inside pretty good, infact some of the best gigs I've seen have been there.

Google says a grand total of 1.2 km. Its literally a block away from Etihad.
If you get a train to Southern Cross and then manage to walk to Festival Hall in 5 minutes or under I will drive to your home and give you $100.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back