Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

The only reason Richmond are in the 8 is because the AFL is riding them home care of umpire cheating.

--

I'm not sure if you are serious.

Have you watched any Richmond games? or you just hate them so you can not be impartial?

They actually get bent over by umpires most games.

Watch them v the Crows... disgusting umpiring cost them.

I think they are horribly overrated to be honest.
Don't see them doing anything at all this season.

Next week's game is going to be their toughest test of the season. Surprised they are favoured against Carlton on Thursday night. Curnow & McKay will slot 8 between them.

Unless ive missed something, Richmond are a chance to start next week with literally zero players on the injury list (if Lynch gets up). That's quite phenomenal...

Carlton will have a minimum 11 players unavailable and will be starting our 5th amd 6th string key defenders.

It's also Carlton and Richmond. One team has won 3 premierships, the other hasn't made the top 4 in 20 years. It's understandable that Richmond start favourites imo, evem though I think Carlton are better in 2022 overall.

Weirdly, when you look at the fixture for the remainder of the year (ie ladder predictor) I still think the winner of this game finishes top 4 and the loser 7-9 (it is a very even year at the top). I also think if both Carlton and Richmond were top 4 I'd rather play Melbourne, Brisbane, Freo or almost anyone in the top 8 (home or away) than Richmond at the MCG in a qualifying final or preliminary. That has to count for something...

Unless ive missed something, Richmond are a chance to start next week with literally zero players on the injury list (if Lynch gets up). That's quite phenomenal...

Carlton will have a minimum 11 players unavailable and will be starting our 5th amd 6th string key defenders.

It's also Carlton and Richmond. One team has won 3 premierships, the other hasn't made the top 4 in 20 years. It's understandable that Richmond start favourites imo, evem though I think Carlton are better in 2022 overall.

Weirdly, when you look at the fixture for the remainder of the year (ie ladder predictor) I still think the winner of this game finishes top 4 and the loser 7-9 (it is a very even year at the top). I also think if both Carlton and Richmond were top 4 I'd rather play Melbourne, Brisbane, Freo or almost anyone in the top 8 (home or away) than Richmond at the MCG in a qualifying final or preliminary. That has to count for something...
Yeah if we can't beat Carlton next week with our respective injury lists discrepancy, we're officially and conclusively no chance in hell of a flag, and probably won't make the 8.

Lions had 10% bonus salary cap
Cats won 3 in 6 years, Tigers won 3 in 4 years
Hawks lost a GF, Tigers unbeaten in GF

Always two sides, to every coin. I just wanted to share with you the other side to this one

Again with the 'bUt 10% sAlArY cAp' nonsense.

The 3peat Lions were a very strong team because of the breadth of talent that wanted to play for the club. They took pay cuts to stay together. If players have no desire to play for the colours, jumper, club then extra money means nothing. They had the PASSION to win it didn't come down to any extra money.

On the "10% salary cap", we were getting young players that had no desire to play for us and we were forced to pay overs in an attempt to retain them which didn't really work as the GH5 showed. Victorian clubs whinging about that cap have no ******* idea, just want EVERYTHING their way and * everyone else.

As for the tiggys winning a GF this year???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
what a joke.

Again with the 'bUt 10% sAlArY cAp' nonsense.

The 3peat Lions were a very strong team because of the breadth of talent that wanted to play for the club. They took pay cuts to stay together. If players have no desire to play for the colours, jumper, club then extra money means nothing. They had the PASSION to win it didn't come down to any extra money.

On the "10% salary cap", we were getting young players that had no desire to play for us and we were forced to pay overs in an attempt to retain them which didn't really work as the GH5 showed. Victorian clubs whinging about that cap have no ******* idea, just want EVERYTHING their way and duck everyone else.

As for the tiggys winning a GF this year???
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
what a joke.

You also had a merger, be honest with yourself you guys had the biggest advantage of all the dynasty teams.

I don't know, but it'd certainly be impressive. However I've never felt in awe of Richmond, the same way I did about (for example) Geelong's late 2000s team.

Next week's game is going to be their toughest test of the season. Surprised they are favoured against Carlton on Thursday night. Curnow & McKay will slot 8 between them.

Says the cat's supporter LMFAOOOOO
Do you mean Curnow and McKay who kicked 1 goal between them RD 1 when we played them.

Lions had 10% bonus salary cap
Cats won 3 in 6 years, Tigers won 3 in 4 years
Hawks lost a GF, Tigers unbeaten in GF

Always two sides, to every coin. I just wanted to share with you the other side to this one
Richmond has never had to beat great sides to win a flag like Geelong did against St Kilda and Collingwood

Not really we just gotta stop giving up bloody 5 goal leads. We could have realistically been 9-2 right now.

Yeah, and North's only problem is falling behind by 10 goals!

The fact Richmond can't close out matches and let sides get a run on is not something that can be "just" stopped, and is "realistic".

The fact Richmond can't close out matches and let sides get a run on is not something that can be "just" stopped, and is "realistic".

Swans and Carlton's losses were more our undisciplined acts. In RD 1, we gave away 8 fifty-meter penalties and Carlton was gifted 4 goals by our stupidity, plus we lost Prestia qtr time and blues won by 4 goals.
RD 11 V Swans, we gave up 5 goals by frees, inc 3 goals by 50 meter penalties. Threw that game away.

This can be fixed, dimma said it was a focus over the bye weekend to stop with the undisciplined acts. I thought V port last week they made a conscious effort to not give away 50-meter penalties.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously 4 in 6 in the AFL era would have them heads and shoulders above most sides ever. I think the Melbourne 50s side record is going to be tough to beat, but really it'd put them in the conversation for top 3 all time and no Richmond fan would really care exactly how people rate them in comparison to sides from the 30s and 50s.

I can't see how they do it as I think they're semi or even a prelim level but can't see them beating a combo of Geelong/Brisbane/Melbourne consecutively. They could certainly beat 1 though.

Obviously 4 in 6 in the AFL era would have them heads and shoulders above most sides ever. I think the Melbourne 50s side record is going to be tough to beat, but really it'd put them in the conversation for top 3 all time and no Richmond fan would really care exactly how people rate them in comparison to sides from the 30s and 50s.

I can't see how they do it as I think they're semi or even a prelim level but can't see them beating a combo of Geelong/Brisbane/Melbourne consecutively. They could certainly beat 1 though.

Fair post and agree with the first paragraph. As a tiger i couldn't care what the haters say, it's hard enough trying to win a flag in this 18-team comp, let alone trying to go for 4 in a short period of time.

Who knows in finals anything possible. But I do believe we have to be top 4 to give us every chance to achieve this feat.

Lol read my above post and you will get the answer :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, if you guys win the flag this year, it most certainly puts them in the conversation as one of the greatest teams of all time. I would personally place them ahead of Geelong and Richmond because at Richmond's current position, not really troubling the better teams, older players and all, to accomplish that . . . . . wow
That'll be epic.

I think your midfield is running on fumes though. You have trouble holding onto leads which is a hallmark of great teams slowly sliding away.

Richmond are superior odds to lose their elimination final than win it :thumbsu:

how many did they kick in round 1?

I don't know, but it'd certainly be impressive. However I've never felt in awe of Richmond, the same way I did about (for example) Geelong's late 2000s team.

It’s just nostalgia, the systems based dynasties (Hawks and Tigers) would flog 1v1 defence dynasties (Lions and Cats) even with inferior lists. Systems give way too much advantage especially against the lions which were slow af because their players were focused being contested beasts instead of speed because that’s what won back in that era. Speed and pressure always wins now.

You don’t reckon a team being 5 goals up in the second half could have realistically won the game? And yes it can be stopped, teams improve throughout the season all the time (but that includes the teams around us as well).

We also didn't have the ability to go out a pluck an elite KPF via free agency to fill an immediate need.
Well, you did really. You did it with Brad Ottens - recruited for need. But it cost you draft picks, which would've had no impact short term on any premiership tilt.

Besides, one could argue that Richmond's cheap acquisition of Tom Lynch was more than compensated by the FS picks Geelong had for Hawkins, Scarlett and GAJ all of whom you got for a draft steal, as well as the fact that no other club got a look in on any of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back