Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I'm not buying into the Richmond v Collingwood debate and who is better (answer is obvious to all). I will buy you several beers though to hear stories you may have of Skinny and others from back in the day.

As an aside, I wrote a paper a couple of decades back now on Richmond and Collingwood through the Depression years and the role football played and both suburbs are very much kindred suburbs. They really did dislike each other intensely. Shame some of that has gone due to our period of sh1tfulness as it far exceeded other rivalries that exist today.

As a further aside, one could argue more criminals lived in Collingwood back in the day but let's leave that for another day 😁👍.
I’d be interested in reading that. Do you still have it?

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
So if the lions win a flag at the Gabba it’s not a hard earn flag.
But if the tigers win a flag at their home ground it’s legit???

No if it’s an isolated GF game. But if the whole season is yeah. Eg. If all games for next season and finals were at the MCG and a vic team won it, it would probably be one of the least impressive/important flags ever won.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
No if it’s an isolated GF game. But if the whole season is yeah. Eg. If all games for next season and finals were at the MCG and a vic team won it, it would probably be one of the least impressive/important flags ever won.
7 games in a row to finish the season is full on.
The dockers would of stayed in 4 hotels and travelled near 30,000k in that time. But hey that’s irrelevant.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
7 games in a row to finish the season is full on.
The dockers would of stayed in 4 hotels and travelled near 30,000k in that time. But hey that’s irrelevant.

How did the first half of the season look mate? Do you think maybe that’s why we had that many in a row because we played a heap of away games at the start?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s definitely a possibility. They’re regaining the crazy pressure that wins finals.

Form and luck means anything could happen.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
I understand your insane jealousy of Collingwood
We lead you Head to Head 120-92
We lead you 4-2 in Grand Finals against each other
You haven’t beaten us in a final for 40 years
We own every crowd record you long for
Last time we played in a final you were humiliated by a bloke who learnt footy 5 years earlier

I know it hurts badly
It did for a week until Dom Sheed thread the eye of a needle and shoved it up every black and white arse in the best way possible!! Had me leaping out of my chair.

And, btw, I should thank your club for providing us with the spur to go B2B in '19 and '20.

A Richmond premiership in 2022 would not only cement this team as one of the best ever, but the dam walls will collapse and the rivers of salt will overflow.

It did for a week until Dom Sheed thread the eye of a needle and shoved it up every black and white arse in the best way possible!! Had me leaping out of my chair.

And, btw, I should thank your club for providing us with the spur to go B2B in '19 and '20.

A Richmond premiership in 2022 would not only cement this team as one of the best ever, but the dam walls will collapse and the rivers of salt will overflow.

Come on you can do better than that. Did you write that all by yourself? Surely that is not the best you have. I love a good sledge but gee that is both boring and predictable and to be honest a little disappointing. So Richmond to be living through other clubs.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Come on you can do better than that. Did you write that all by yourself? Surely that is not the best you have. I love a good sledge but gee that is both boring and predictable and to be honest a little disappointing. So Richmond to be living through other clubs.
LOL, living through other clubs. I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about any other club. Particularly Collingwood; other than to say I thank the Good Lord for not steering me toward a life of misery and heartbreak by following Collingwood when as a youngster in the late 1960's in the primary school yards of the northern suburbs we were choosing football teams. Feel sorry for some of my mates who chose Collingwood, they're still bitter and twisted.

Might I suggest it is you who is doing so given your in depth knowledge of Richmond's performances against your mob.

But whilst we're on it, lets examine some convenient statistics/facts you have omitted to serve you're narrative.

1) The 9th of Collingwood's 15 premierships was "won" in 1930, the final year of the challenge system. I'm sure someone as well versed as yourself would know the finals system as we know it today commenced with a Final 4 in 1931. Where a Grand Final WAS a Grand Final.

1)(a) I say "won" because Collingwood really LOST to Geelong, however, exercised the right to challenge and THEN won. Not bad, hey? As was the case in 1929 when through the magic of the challenge system, Collingwood lost the semi final to Richmond and was rewarded with direct passage to the Grand Final. Brilliant?? So much for your 4 peat.

2) Let's talk about the period from the 1937 semi-final to the 2018 preliminary final. Surely you know what this period of time represents? Let me enlighten you - that's how long it took Collingwood to beat Richmond in a final.

2)(a) This period of time coincides with the commencement of my involvement with VFL/AFL.
.1969 1st semi final - Richmond beat Collingwood
.1971 1st semi final - Richmond beat Collingwood
.1972 qualifying final - Richmond beat Collingwood
.1973 preliminary final - Richmond beat Collingwood (after Collingwood was 45 points up mid way through the 2nd quarter and Royce Hart hobbled on on 1 leg)
.1980 Grand Final - I'll spare you the embarrassment

I won't buy into your crowd record argument for which you have no proof, other than to say I do not recall Richmond being out numbered by Collingwood supporters in my time of following football other than at Victoria Park.

Nor will I elaborate on Collingwood's recent tragic and tormented history which includes the tragedy of the 1964 GF, 1966 GF, 1970 GF, 1977 GFs, (you know the story here), 1979 GF (5.6.36 to 0.7.7 at the 20 min mark of the 2nd quarter on a bog and entered the rooms at half time down, lost by 5 pts), 1980 GF, 1981 GF (21 pts up at the 28 min mark of the 3rd quarter and lost), 2002 GF, 2003 GF, and just to stick with the norm 2018 GF.

At least you have 1990 and 2010 to hang your hat on. I admire you poor bastards.

Jim Levenstein

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL, living through other clubs. I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about any other club. Particularly Collingwood; other than to say I thank the Good Lord for not steering me toward a life of misery and heartbreak by following Collingwood when as a youngster in the late 1960's in the primary school yards of the northern suburbs we were choosing football teams. Feel sorry for some of my mates who chose Collingwood, they're still bitter and twisted.

Might I suggest it is you who is doing so given your in depth knowledge of Richmond's performances against your mob.

But whilst we're on it, lets examine some convenient statistics/facts you have omitted to serve you're narrative.

1) The 9th of Collingwood's 15 premierships was "won" in 1930, the final year of the challenge system. I'm sure someone as well versed as yourself would know the finals system as we know it today commenced with a Final 4 in 1931. Where a Grand Final WAS a Grand Final.

1)(a) I say "won" because Collingwood really LOST to Geelong, however, exercised the right to challenge and THEN won. Not bad, hey? As was the case in 1929 when through the magic of the challenge system, Collingwood lost the semi final to Richmond and was rewarded with direct passage to the Grand Final. Brilliant?? So much for your 4 peat.

2) Let's talk about the period from the 1937 semi-final to the 2018 preliminary final. Surely you know what this period of time represents? Let me enlighten you - that's how long it took Collingwood to beat Richmond in a final.

2)(a) This period of time coincides with the commencement of my involvement with VFL/AFL.
.1973 preliminary final - Richmond beat Collingwood (after Collingwood was 45 points up mid way through the 2nd quarter and Royce Hart hobbled on on 1 leg)

I won't buy into your crowd record argument for which you have no proof, other than to say I do not recall Richmond being out numbered by Collingwood supporters in my time of following football other than at Victoria Park.

Nor will I elaborate on Collingwood's recent tragic and tormented history which includes the tragedy of the 1964 GF, 1966 GF, 1970 GF, 1977 GFs, (you know the story here), 1979 GF (5.6.36 to 0.7.7 at the 20 min mark of the 2nd quarter on a bog and entered the rooms at half time down, lost by 5 pts), 1980 GF, 1981 GF (21 pts up at the 28 min mark of the 3rd quarter and lost), 2002 GF, 2003 GF, and just to stick with the norm 2018 GF.

At least you have 1990 and 2010 to hang your hat on. I admire you poor bastards.
Sold us short, add 2011

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful. A 9 paragraph response about my Club Collingwood . You are consumed by us. You can’t stop writing about us. Love it. Shame you don’t spend that much time on your own club which I don’t need to name because like yourself I would rather write about COLLINGWOOD. Looks like we share a common passion COLLINGWOOD. Keep up the great work. I look forward to your next instalment of Collingwood writing.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful. A 9 paragraph response about my Club Collingwood . You are consumed by us. You can’t stop writing about us. Love it. Shame you don’t spend that much time on your own club which I don’t need to name because like yourself I would rather write about COLLINGWOOD. Looks like we share a common passion COLLINGWOOD. Keep up the great work. I look forward to your next instalment of Collingwood writing.
I really should have more respect for Collingwood, for they have been the source of great mirth and satisfaction for me and many. many others since the mid 1960's.

If you can handle being a Collingwood supporter over that period, you can deal with anything. Poor miserable bastards. ;)

I really should have more respect for Collingwood, for they have been the source of great mirth and satisfaction for me and many. many others since the mid 1960's.

If you can handle being a Collingwood supporter over that period, you can deal with anything. Poor miserable bastards. ;)

Yes more Collingwood love it. Please keep it coming. Loving this. I can’t wait for you to post more about us

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes more Collingwood love it. Please keep it coming. Loving this. I can’t wait for you to post more about us

Idk why Collingwood supporters are even on this thread. Your minnow club has contributed next to nothing in 60 years. Nobody cares what you have to say, you are irrelevant and the AFL community wouldn’t even notice if your club folded tomorrow. They would probably welcome it given all your scandals in the past 2 years.

Back