Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Idk why Collingwood supporters are even on this thread. Your minnow club has contributed next to nothing in 60 years. Nobody cares what you have to say, you are irrelevant and the AFL community wouldn’t even notice if your club folded tomorrow. They would probably welcome it given all your scandals in the past 2 years.

Please please keep IT coming. I am loving your posts. Keep up your need to post about Collingwood on a Richmond thread. Shows how big we are. Keep it up please. Make sure you tag me in. Loving this.

Please please keep IT coming. I am loving your posts. Keep up your need to post about Collingwood on a Richmond thread. Shows how big we are. Keep it up please. Make sure you tag me in. Loving this.

You are like retired grandparents who have nothing to do so they keep annoyingly ring people up to talk to them.

And if it was so easy then why did no one else do it. Perhaps we could use the Maths of 2 in 32 years. Or perhaps we could use the fact of Tigers not having beaten Pies in a final for 42 years or even the stat of Pies having a superior GF Head to Head against the Tigers. What makes the 4 better is that 3 in a row were against Richmond. Amazing.

The 4 in a row was when they trained once a week, the teams were made up of mailmen, teachers and firefighters, there were 10 teams and it was less professional than third grade amateurs is now, there was a challenge system if you lost a final and oh, and 3 teams were competitive each season and zero equalisation measures in place. Yep, pretty much on par with a flag in the AFL era 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And if it was so easy then why did no one else do it. Perhaps we could use the Maths of 2 in 32 years. Or perhaps we could use the fact of Tigers not having beaten Pies in a final for 42 years or even the stat of Pies having a superior GF Head to Head against the Tigers. What makes the 4 better is that 3 in a row were against Richmond. Amazing.
How about this bloke talking up something that happened well before any of us were even born.

You are like retired grandparents who have nothing to do so they keep annoyingly ring people up to talk to them.

Gee now you are
How about this bloke talking up something that happened well before any of us were even born.

So Jack Dyer, Roy Wright and Skinny Titus were rubbish according to you. Absolute disgrace talking about your club legends like that. You should be ashamed.

The 4 in a row was when they trained once a week, the teams were made up of mailmen, teachers and firefighters, there were 10 teams and it was less professional than third grade amateurs is now, there was a challenge system if you lost a final and oh, and 3 teams were competitive each season and zero equalisation measures in place. Yep, pretty much on par with a flag in the AFL era 🤣🤣

And I will repeat, If it was so easy then why did no one else do it. Everything you have mentioned is irrelevant as everyone had the same playing field. A challenge system lol, do you mean the top team got a second chance but just in a different format. Gee I wonder where I have heard of a second chance for a top team. Your own great Jack Dyer (yes he was a great, I won’t turn my back on your club greats like you do) quoted in the 1990s ‘That Collingwood side of 27-30 was the greatest team ever assembled. They were full of Gods who walked amongst men. They were more than a team, they were a machine. The Bradman’s of Football.’

If Richmond can put together a good winning run over the remaining rounds and grab the double chance I have no doubt in my mind that they will be a chance to win it all again.

Gee now you are

So Jack Dyer, Roy Wright and Skinny Titus were rubbish according to you. Absolute disgrace talking about your club legends like that. You should be ashamed.
What are you talking about I never mentioned any of them?

And I will repeat, If it was so easy then why did no one else do it. Everything you have mentioned is irrelevant as everyone had the same playing field. A challenge system lol, do you mean the top team got a second chance but just in a different format. Gee I wonder where I have heard of a second chance for a top team. Your own great Jack Dyer (yes he was a great, I won’t turn my back on your club greats like you do) quoted in the 1990s ‘That Collingwood side of 27-30 was the greatest team ever assembled. They were full of Gods who walked amongst men. They were more than a team, they were a machine. The Bradman’s of Football.’

Pretty sure Argus system was that the minor premiers got a guaranteed GF spot. I think in one of those prelims we beat you then lost to you in the GF, if you think that is fair idk what else to say.

Also not all flags are equal, just as you as a pies supporters rightly laugh at port supporters saying their 36 SANFL flags are just as good as AFL ones and should count in the flag tally. This is why nobody rates your 4peat, they would beat beaten by north and WC.

It's the 21st century and the GOAT is bandied about every year to all those who don't deserve it. There have been soime great teams over the past 2 decades and it's debatable as to which team is the greatest of the past 20 years let alone of all time? The game is not the same as it was pre 2000, you cannot compare teams or players further back than about 10 years IMO. They play a diifferent game in 2022.

In 1927 Pies won a whopping 2 finals to win the flag.

In 1928 Richmond won their first final on Sept 8th by 53 points. Then Pies had a draw week 2, so Richmond’s next game was the GF on Sept 29th. So 3 x weeks between games. Yep, righto then.

In 2029 Collingwood lost their first final in week 2 of finals to Richmond by 62 points. Then the next … and only other game they played in that final series was the Grand Final against Richmond …. after they had a weeks break and a Richmond were playing their 3rd final in 3 weeks. It’s Mickey Mouse amateur hour…. lose a final and then play the GF 2 weeks later

Then in 1930 the pies played Geelong in the PF in week 3 of finals … and lost. Then they played again the the GF a week later and won. Hahaha 🤣 🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 1927 Pies won a whopping 2 finals to win the flag.

In 1928 Richmond won their first final on Sept 8th by 53 points. Then Pies had a draw week 2, so Richmond’s next game was the GF on Sept 29th. So 3 x weeks between games. Yep, righto then.

In 2029 Collingwood lost their first final in week 2 of finals to Richmond by 62 points. Then the next … and only other game they played in that final series was the Grand Final against Richmond …. after they had a weeks break and a Richmond were playing their 3rd final in 3 weeks. It’s Mickey Mouse amateur hour…. lose a final and then play the GF 2 weeks later

Then in 1930 the pies played Geelong in the PF in week 3 of finals … and lost. Then they played again the the GF a week later and won. Hahaha 🤣 🤣🤣

4 in a row - THE MACHINE

Pretty sure Argus system was that the minor premiers got a guaranteed GF spot. I think in one of those prelims we beat you then lost to you in the GF, if you think that is fair idk what else to say.

Also not all flags are equal, just as you as a pies supporters rightly laugh at port supporters saying their 36 SANFL flags are just as good as AFL ones and should count in the flag tally. This is why nobody rates your 4peat, they would beat beaten by north and WC.

Jack Dyer did. Said it was the greatest team to walk onto a football field. He called them the Bradman's of football' Oh but you know more than Jack.

4 in a row - THE MACHINE

In the 4-peat the Pies won 7 finals, lost 2 finals and drew 1 final. So able to win 4 flags from 7 x finals victories. A good effort, but not a patch on what’s needed to win a flag today.

Winning 4 flags in todays game requires 12 x wins. And if you lose a final after week one you are gonesky…. in 2 of the Pie flags they lost a final … and their next game was the Grand Final.

You then have equalisation, draft, 16/18 teams v 12 etc…. but the simple facts of being able to win 4 x flags with 7 finals wins versus it now needing 12 is a pretty good starting point in assessing the merits of each flag.

But reality is a flag is a flag …. they still represent the same quantity in the record books …. just some flags were a lot easier to win than others. This is not really a debate, it’s simple maths and logic.

Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time? Yes

Is that likely? No.

Does that make this thread seriously premature, if not just plain silly? Yes.

Last edited:
Jack Dyer did. Said it was the greatest team to walk onto a football field. He called them the Bradman's of football' Oh but you know more than Jack.

Don’t know if you realised but he died in 2003. And biased cause he played in that era.

Yes biased to the club he hated with a passion. Seriously

He saw the 3peat lions play and didn’t think they could beat your 4 peat team from 100 years ago. Love the bloke but he is dead wrong here. Deep down you agree with me and are just trolling.

He saw the 3peat lions play and didn’t think they could beat your 4 peat team from 100 years ago. Love the bloke but he is dead wrong here. Deep down you agree with me and are just trolling.
So you saw both teams play? Trolling just because I have a different opinion. Deep down I am not close to agreeing with you. No team in history comes close to the 1927-1930 Magpies. The 1929 Collingwood team went through an entire Home and Away season undefeated winning 9 hostile away games on suburban strongholds. Remarkable really. To win 4 Premierships in a row is a feat no other team has ever been able to achieve and never will. The Bradman’s of Football.

Richmond finished the regular season first in 2018 and were clearly the best team in the competition over 22 H&A games. They won their first final, lost their second after sitting out a week and were out.

Under a challenge system, they could have fronted up to the grand final anyway and it may have been against West Coast. Collingwood's win against Richmond may have been rendered irrelevant, which is not something I could support.

If one wants to defend the challenge system of the old days, one must also accept that having one in the modern era would have quite probably changed some results.

Therefore, it's not hard to consider that not having one back then may well have changed some results also. That's not to knock Collingwood's historical four-peat, for it was a brilliant feat after all, but these days it is darn near impossible to replicate, let alone best, and three flags in four years with a 'minor premiership' in the year of premiership failure is about as close as a team can reasonably be expected to get.

To suggest anything else is to play fast and loose with obvious logic and reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back