Would an additional 'left' political party be beneficial?

Remove this Banner Ad

And before anyone points out that the Greens get 10% of the vote and they are further left than Labor. The Greens get those votes because of their name and association with climate change and the environment. People would be horrified by most of their actual policies.

You're stuck in 15 years ago if you really believe this.

The other problem with this thread is the whole western world is heading further right and the current pandemic is going to accelerate that.
Interesting take, considering the response of most of the Western world to the economic challenges posed by said pandemic is massive fiscal stimulus, including an increase in payments to young people, the unemployed and the working poor. When boomers start dying off en masse over the next few decades, we'll see which direction society heads towards.

The Greens get those votes because of their name and association with climate change and the environment. People would be horrified by most of their actual policies.
Another interesting take. Do you have any evidence to support this? Which Greens policies do you believe will horrify people so much? The plan to create a public energy retailer and cap power prices? The plan to create a public bank? Building public housing? Banning gay conversion therapy? Cutting corporate tax avoidance?

I haven’t read their policy platform for a while, but there used to be some interesting stuff in their foreign policy in particular. Are they still pushing for ethnic cleansing in the West Bank and East Jerusalem?

They were never pushing for ethnic cleansing.

That was Labor. The problem is there are not enough "basic middle class sh*t kicker"(s) to vote them into power and the ones we have are easily distracted by dog whistles.

Labor are in no mans land. No a proper progressive party and not a labour force representative party.

The other problem with this thread is the whole western world is heading further right and the current pandemic is going to accelerate that.

With an entire political movement built on "libtards" and "lefties" any new political party that proclaims to be more left than Labor has zero chance of succeeding.

And before anyone points out that the Greens get 10% of the vote and they are further left than Labor. The Greens get those votes because of their name and association with climate change and the environment. People would be horrified by most of their actual policies.

The answer for Australia and the best systems in the world are the social democracies who have higher taxes and bigger governments.

Instead were are obsessed with smaller governments and government debt to finance lower taxes.

Why wouldn't you follow America - it is (was) so shiny and new.

Think the common Australian has been groomed/ believe they are above the 'common person' achieved through taking on crippling debt that will show its hand post pandemic, when the government has to/chooses to turn the stimulus hand outs.

Murdoch press, and other media outlets have been incredibly successful bashing unions over the last 40 years, and many Australians have leached off the benefits from Unions. Workers would be stuck in the dark ages, with slave like conditions without unions.

I haven’t read their policy platform for a while, but there used to be some interesting stuff in their foreign policy in particular. Are they still pushing for ethnic cleansing in the West Bank and East Jerusalem?
Why are you wasting my time if you are truly this ignorant?

I find it frustrating when I correct blatantly incorrect assumptions and assertions, and find out the person making them doesn’t even have basic knowledge of the subject they’re talking about. Then you have the gall to expect me to educate you from the ground up. I mean, honestly.

Do you always form your opinions before you investigate the subject matter? Because it seems like it.

Why are you wasting my time if you are truly this ignorant?

I find it frustrating when I correct blatantly incorrect assumptions and assertions, and find out the person making them doesn’t even have basic knowledge of the subject they’re talking about. Then you have the gall to expect me to educate you from the ground up. I mean, honestly.

Do you always form your opinions before you investigate the subject matter? Because it seems like it.
You should really read your own party’s platform.

You said you haven't read their platform for a while. You also said you'll defer to my knowledge when you know nothing about a topic. So hush now champ, the adults are talking.
Qualifying my statement by saying it may not be completely up to date is not the same as saying I know nothing about the topic.

Are you saying that the Greens no longer call for the deportation of Jews from the West Bank and East Jerusalem?

Qualifying my statement by saying it may not be completely up to date is not the same as saying I know nothing about the topic.
But you do know nothing about the topic of the Greens' present policy on Israel and Palestine. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

Are you saying that the Greens no longer call for the deportation of Jews from the West Bank and East Jerusalem?
See it's funny, when I asked a question about what specific change country people wanted to see on water management, accepting that you had more knowledge on the topic than I did, I was met with insults and told I had "the gall to expect me to educate you from the ground up". Now I am capable of answering your question, but is there a good reason why I shouldn't simply respond the same way you did?

I prefer to have reasonable dialogue with people on here in the hopes that I, or they, or both, might see a different perspective. But if I'm met with such a response, I don't usually feel like answering in good faith.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I am capable of answering your question, but is there a good reason why I shouldn't simply respond the same way you did?
Because I am a lot more capable of having an informed conversation about Greens policy than you are about rural areas, unfamiliar though I am with the latest version of their platform.

If you are too upset from our last interaction, that is totally okay too. 👌

Because I am a lot more capable of having an informed conversation about Greens policy than you are about rural areas
Who decided that, you? Why do you even ask questions if you're too arrogant to listen to others?

If you are too upset from our last interaction, that is totally okay too. 👌
You're suggesting I'm upset when you're the one who chucked a tanty because someone asked him a question? Mostly I just pity you for being so vainglorious.

New Labour in the UK was mostly about cutting ties to unions to implement neoliberal economics.

I definitely don’t think the ALP should go down that path - if anything, they could probably benefit by running in the opposite direction.

Neo liberal is rather a big stretch as they spent up big. However, the approach of Blair was certainly successfull at elections. Many of Hawkes policies were along those lines and again were successful.

I have attached a document describing their principles on Israel-Palestine, which I downloaded from the Greens website.

This may be what Caesar is referring to.

The Australian Greens will work for:
2.1 the removal of Israeli settlers and Israeli security and military forces from the Palestinian
territories

the immediate freezing of all Israeli settlement activity in the occupied territories (including
natural growth) and the simultaneous commencement of the repatriation of the Israeli
settlers from the Palestinian territories

Attachments

• Israel_Palestine_1.pdf
    106.2 KB · Views: 52

Remove this Banner Ad

Back