Would an additional 'left' political party be beneficial?

Remove this Banner Ad

How many countries have a third major party capable of taking power in it's own right?

The US has 3 major parties however the Senate holds a large sway of power. Few

Pardon my ignorance but which is the third major US political party?

well, not really a third major party. Democrats, Republicans and to a much lesser extent The Libertarian Party which had a presidential nomination in the 2012 elections. They dont have enough of the votes to make a play without the support of the Senate

well, not really a third major party. Democrats, Republicans and to a much lesser extent The Libertarian Party which had a presidential nomination in the 2012 elections. They dont have enough of the votes to make a play without the support of the Senate
That's not a major party then. You could argue Ireland has three major parties though, and France and Italy have four.

How many countries have a third major party capable of taking power in it's own right?
Australia only has one.
No country with a stable political system will ever have three major parties all vying for a majority in their legislature. Even when you have three parties vying for a plurality it is usually unstable and temporary (see the first decade of Federation).

My personal definition of a major party is one that is consistently relevant to the process of forming government. By 'consistent' I mean over a reasonable period - for example, although the Lib Dems held Cabinet posts in Cameron’s first term, I would say they haven’t been a major party since the 1930s.

By this definition, Australia presently has four at the federal level - the ALP, Liberals, Nationals and LNP. At state/territory level the Greens and CLP can be considered major parties in certain jurisdictions.

The Greens have a chance to one day become a major federal party, although they have marked time under Di Natale and may well lose their opportunity altogether if the ALP moves quickly enough.

Last edited:
We need a leftist version of Jeff Kennet. Someone that won't * around.

Someone who would come in, and by the next day large companies would be paying 70% tax, government solar farm to compete with the private options, and reacquire many of our assets like the copper network and tolled roads.

We need a leftist version of Jeff Kennet. Someone that won't fu** around.

Someone who would come in, and by the next day large companies would be paying 70% tax, government solar farm to compete with the private options, and reacquire many of our assets like the copper network and tolled roads.
Worked out well for Venezuela.

We need a leftist version of Jeff Kennet. Someone that won't fu** around.

and that's why left winged politics never works

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The left doesn't need another party, the left needs to insert it self in the conversation.
Unfortunately the MSM is controlled by the right and they have no chance of air play.
I don't consider Labor to be of the left.
defiantly struggling to keep up with real world issues aret you!

i mean nearly every news out let it anti trump and Republican except for Fox and the odd other!
hope that didn't trigger you

media left or right wing?
We are talking about Australia, the majority of the MSM is to the right.
Regarding Trump, the coverage I have seen is mainly reports of him talking which is enough to make himself look stupid without commentary from reporters.
Remember Labor is not a party that represents the Left, so any positive reporting of them is not an indication of the media bias for the left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back