Would any club risk trading with Essendon before the ASADA report is finalised?

Remove this Banner Ad

Initially thought, no way. And some clubs (maybe all) will take that strategy.

But with the prospect of club based sanctions some players may want out, and with the possibility of player bans still in the offing, they may come cheap. But it would be a high risk strategy.

If a club chooses to deal with Essendon knowing that there may be questions over their players, then fair play to them.
They can't however complain later if those players receive punishment.
Steer clear if there is any doubt come trade time.

if a player wants out of essendon expect the other club to offer way under par for him, you'd be stuiped to offer a fair deal for a player that still has a cloud over his head... so say cramieri wants to leave to the dogs if i was the dogs i'd offer a 4th round pick or 3rd at worst.
Doesnt patty ryder want to leave ?

you think draftees and parents will be 100% drafted to essendon?

I think their may be some very interesting contract clauses for players going to and coming from Essendon.

Clubs will want for 2012 Bomber players
-The ability to terminate contracts at no cost should a player get an infraction notice for an eight year period.
-compensation from Essendon's in terms of draft picks/$$$ should any such infractions notice be issued.

Players will want from the Bombers
- An out should a significant number of Bombers players be suspended, not playing for points, etc
- Player can request a trade immediately this happens contract to be paid in full and release granted to the club of their choice the following year with no compensation back to Essendon from player or new club.

If I was a parent I would want some additional clauses.
- No supplements drugs for player unless TGA (or AFL) approved for the prophylactic treatment of healthy players.
- All player treatments for injuries to be guaranteed WADA compliant and must fully disclose any side effects known from drug.
- Breach as per above. Player can request a trade immediately this happens contract to be paid in full and release granted to the club of their choice the following year with no compensation back to Essendon from player or new club + damages + ongoing monitoring of health in perpetuity.

- All player treatments for injuries to be guaranteed WADA compliant and must fully disclose any side effects known from drug.

This sounds like all the statements Essendon has made about Hird's instructions to the mad scientists. And that ended so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another quirk might be that if a player facing a ban chose to accept a trade to leave Essendon he might be sacked by his new club and be out of pocket. Whereas if the AFLPA get their way Essendon might be forced to honour the contracts of those players. That would be a powerful incentive for players to refuse to be traded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back