Would anyone be for a best of 3 GF series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.

It would diminish the events prestige and fascination. You would definitely not get 100k at the G if there were two more games to be played.

How about we run the Melbourne Cup over three heats while we are at it.

When the time comes. The highest rank team should host it in its own state.

No. Part of the beauty of GF day is it's ONE chance to perform. You don't = so long, you've lost.

And imagine cruelling the likes of Richo yesterday by making them back it all up next week, with no guarantee of actually winning the flag.

yes. it more likely means the better side wins and reduces the amount of luck involved. not to mention we get more grand finals each year and a much greater narrative. it would be truly epic.

i cant see how anyone wouldnt want this.

It triples the chance that the premier will be the luckiest with injuries in my opinion.

Interesting idea but one that is unlikely to be implemented in my lifetime. It would require wholesale change to the comp but could result in a more even competition and is more likely to result in the best team over the season being the premier.

To create a level playing field, you'd have to change the H/A season so each team played each other twice, once at each team's home ground (36 rounds). The top two teams would then play off against each other in a best of 3 series to decide the premier.

The current system is weighted to try to even up the comp while retaining an element of chance (so any team that plays finals has a chance of being premiers.) If you accept that the best team in a season is the team that wins the most games (as in the EPL) it follows that, in the current system, the eventual premier in any season is rarely the best team over the season. It is only the best team in the grand final game.

Our current system actually consists of two separate competitions: the H/A season (which is weighted and not a level playing field). The top 8 teams of the H/A series then win the right to play in the separate knock out competition (the finals series) which decides the premiers. Being premiers is not the same thing as being the best team in the comp (although obviously that's the prize the teams are fighting for.) The advantage of the current system is that it gives more fans more hope - it spreads the love of the game more widely because it is easier to finish top 8 than top 2 and easier to win one game than the best of 3 to become premier.

Can you imagine the price gouging by the AFL and the airlines if it was best of three....

All that means is some Victorians might have to shell out 5-10k to take their family to see a GF instead of it only being the other way. Not really a good argument.

Personally, it is a problem that will eventually be fixed. The Vics like to mock us about haha 2037 pointing out that it is a long way away and they're right. It will be 50 years of AFL by the time the GF venue is up for negotiation and the 'tradition' arguments will have lost even more of their merit. By then you will also have seen a shift of power away from Victoria. The Perth Stadium is a game changer and they must be confident that they can come close to filling it most weeks. AO still has the option of adding 10-15k to its capacity should the need arise. NSW will eventually come good when they have had multiple generations of kids growing up on AFL. 'Commercial Reasons' is always the go to excuse for inequities in the comp and that claim will ring hollow when the commercial realities shift. People seem to think that the AFL hold all the cards, but state and federal governments put in an enormous amount of public funding into stadiums and grass roots football. They do so on the basis of a national football league, not a VFL where 8 clubs are associate members. If the process looked like being another rubber stamp for the MCG, I can see a situation where multiple state governments (especially if they are the same party as the Cth government) go the Cth Government to say 'what gives' and multiple governments putting enormous pressure under the threat of pulling funding to fix the problem. You might find the 'commercial reasons' which are code for 'give us all of your money ... now bend over' change a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No

Finals series would drag on and it should be one game. We just have to accept the MCG will host the GF for the next 30 years or whatever the deal is.
Around another 20 I think, but no doubt it will continue after that.
I'd like it to be changed so that we never get a non-Vic higher ranked side playing at the MCG against a Vic team. Not going to happen though.

As for a 3 game series, nah. It would arguably be fairer but we've got used to teams having to perform on the day, sometimes that means the best team overall doesn't win. So be it.

I keep seeing people say the AFL would consider it if another stadium had a 60-80k capacity. Why would they do that when they can get close to 100k at the 'G? Surely interstate clubs need to increase their crowd capacity to 100k.

It's 3 games, and the g can always be one of them to keep the stupid contract and to make sure all those corporates get looked after.
I mean if we had it this year, the grand final would draw 220,000. 100k g, 60k X 2 AO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back