Would anyone be for a best of 3 GF series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instead of just one game, we could have a best of 3 grand final series. First game in week 1 would be at the home of the team that finished higher on the ladder. Second game in week 2 at the home of the other team. Third and deciding game (if it comes to that) could be at the MCG, or at the home of the team that has a higher percentage in the first 2 games.

Could see many advantages. It erases any perceived MCG advantage, unless we have the decider there, though still relatively fairer than what we have now. A lot more people get to see the GF. AFL etc makes more revenue. I guess it's like the NBL, State of Origin, American sports.

Not saying I necessary strongly support it, though I think it'd be a good idea, and due to tradition I think most would be against it, but interesting to think about.

Creates the exact issue we have now if results went to 'plan'. 2015 for example.....play once at the Hawthorn's home, once at Subiaco and it's 1-1...the decider ends up at the MCG if that's where the decider is. The only time the G' works as a decider in a 3 game series is in the scenario of two non Melbourne teams contesting.....which is the exact scenario no one at the moment has too much issue with.

Creates the exact issue we have now if results went to 'plan'. 2015 for example.....play once at the Hawthorn's home, once at Subiaco and it's 1-1...the decider ends up at the MCG if that's where the decider is. The only time the G' works as a decider in a 3 game series is in the scenario of two non Melbourne teams contesting.....which is the exact scenario no one at the moment has too much issue with.

In that case have the decider at the home of the team who has a higher percentage in the two games/aggregriate margin. So if Hawks won game 1 by 10 and lost the second by 5, it'd be at the MCG. Seems as fair a system as you can get.

In that case have the decider at the home of the team who has a higher percentage in the two games/aggregriate margin. So if Hawks won game 1 by 10 and lost the second by 5, it'd be at the MCG. Seems as fair a system as you can get.

OK, let's say Eagles finish two games clear on top of the ladder....play say Hawthorn in the GF who finished 6th. GF 1 gets played in Perth on an uncharacteristically wet, windy day and it's a low scoring, tense affair with lots of behinds and the Eagles win 65 - 63. Hawthorn win GF 2 on a sunny day at the G, with faster, more free flowing football and with much of the tenseness likely to be lower in the second game, it's still close but Hawthorn win 100 - 97. Where should Game 3 be?

On aggregate margin and percentage - the MCG. In the above scenario can you imagine the howling from Eagles supporters?

Not to mention we would be inviting smart coaches to do the equivalent of what soccer clubs do in home and away ties in cup competitions. Keep the 'away leg' tight and use the advantage in the 'home leg'.

Only way I see a 3 game GF series working (and for what it's worth I don't think it suits our game) is;

1. A genuine neutral ground for the Game 3 (if required) decider. Of course, if we had a genuine neutral ground as a feasible option this discussion wouldn't exist.

2. We follow the basketball and baseball example and simply accept that the higher ranked team going in DOES get an advantage if there is a decider. Game - 1, home game for lower ranked team. Game 2 and 3 (if required), home game for the higher ranked team. However, this could result in no game at the MCG at all, again an option that if it was possible we don't need this discussion at all.

Last edited:
This particular idea isn't going to go anywhere and has no real substance for discussion either (since it's never been floated by the AFL AFAIK).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back