Would Gary Ablett Jr still get a game at your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah you're right, wouldn't get a game ahead of guns such as Brandon Starcevich or Cam Rayner. Maybe a forward flank in the NEAFL?

Not sure how much you watch us play, Starc has a kick that would make a recruiter weak at the knees and Rayner is 50 games into a career that has shown signs of him being an elite on baller.

Ablett compared to them is...well, yeah. Reputation player at this point. I dont think hes a bad player by any margin, but to be playing him over a younger kid who will be his replacement eventually?

You could literally make this thread about dozens and dozens of players at any given time. If you don’t like Ablett or think he’s done that’s fine, but this is really not thread-worthy. One of the greatest of all time (if not THE) about to play his 350th game in a year in which he’s already said will be his last is kind of beyond these weak-premised threads.

You could take your concerns to the match preview thread on the Geelong board if you’re particularly interested in this topic. You won’t get anyone agreeing with you though.

You could literally make this thread about dozens and dozens of players at any given time. If you don’t like Ablett or think he’s done that’s fine, but this is really not thread-worthy. One of the greatest of all time (if not THE) about to play his 350th game in a year in which he’s already said will be his last is kind of beyond these weak-premised threads.

You could take your concerns to the match preview thread on the Geelong board if you’re particularly interested in this topic. You won’t get anyone agreeing with you though.

I would suspect Id be banned quite quickly if I said anything at all negative about Ablett in that forum.

This is just my opinion and its allowed to be considered wrong.

To be fair, he might not get a game in a young team that's clearly rebuilding. It's fair enough that a side in that situation might want to "play the kids" ahead of a guy in his mid 30s.

But surely any genuine contender, or even anyone trying to keep/force the window open, would have him in a heartbeat?

Would Richmond or Collingwood use him in the forward pocket? Or the Giants, if we assume all three of them are contenders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like why can't we just appreciate the fact we still get to watch the best player since 2000 still running around? I consider myself lucky to have been able to watch Ablett's career. Just enjoy it.

Im not saying I dont appreciated it, I just think if we were offered him right now for a place in our side I dont think we'd look at it. And I think there are other clubs out there the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back