Would Gary Ablett Jr still get a game at your club?

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Would he "get a game" in our side? Absolutely!

Is he what we need at this time? No, far from it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
14 possessions the next week, 11 the week after.

The real test is when he travels to WA.
And 24 touches in round 1. He is currently second in our boards progressive best and fairest for this season.

Ps. Cyril averages only 15 touches for his entire career despite being an ordinary disposer of the ball whereas ablett is one of the best of the modern era. Abletts possessions are worth more than most.

Last edited:
Not sure how much you watch us play, Starc has a kick that would make a recruiter weak at the knees and Rayner is 50 games into a career that has shown signs of him being an elite on baller.

Ablett compared to them is...well, yeah. Reputation player at this point. I dont think hes a bad player by any margin, but to be playing him over a younger kid who will be his replacement eventually?
If Brisbane are playing for the future then Rayner plays for his development.

If Brisbane want to do all they can to win right now, Ablett gets a game easily before Rayner

If Brisbane are playing for the future then Rayner plays for his development.

If Brisbane want to do all they can to win right now, Ablett gets a game easily before Rayner

Would Ablett have won us those finals last year of he played over Rayner?

Should add we had Hodge in those games and I'd argue his output for us would be equal to what you should except from Ablett.

Should add we had Hodge in those games and I'd argue his output for us would be equal to what you should except from Ablett.
Brisbane’s 3 point loss to GWS I’d say could of easily been different with Ablett.

Ablett’s output last year was still a 20 possession player kicking 1.5 goals a game. Still has impact on his possession, was 2nd for inside 50’s at Geelong averaging 4.75, 12th in the league

I’d back that along with his experience over Rayner, averaging 10 possies, less than a goal a game, 1.79 inside 50’s

not to mention Ablett’s 4.5 tackles a game to Rayner 2.17

Ablett easily over Rayner last year, I’d also have him this year too if I was trying to win.

Last edited:

Not only, Geelong finished 1st on the ladder and won a final. Ablett had a decent role at the club, backed by his 7th place in the Geelong best and fairest. Along with 13 Brownlow votes 24th in the league. To say his output would of been the same as Hodge is laughable really.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No. He’s cooked and has been for a couple of years. He’s given Geelong, and himself, a nice little start to the season.
And that’s why he’s still playing. Get the cats off to a reasonable start and then flame out.
Little Gaz will run out gas halfway through the season as he has done in the last three seasons.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unless he's dropped off an awful alot this year (I've only seen one game) he would.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Possibly, if he could kick more than 35 yards. He misses sitters, one against RFC in the Prelim 2019, and one the week before last. But would defintely keep him out is his little prayer group and fear of naked men.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So will Impey when he is fit.

Does Ablett get a game ahead of Impey?

Its an interesting concept. We cant exactly say "No, youth is our focus". But being able to attack and defend is something Clarko wants from everyone. Ablett hasnt run both ways in many, many years.

In his last season at the Gold Coast he averaged almost 6 tackles a game. Now there are more metrics that count towards defence than tackles but for a midfielder it’s a fairly good indicator of what he’s doing. Now in a reduced capacity role at geelong he’s a averaging about 4.

Meanwhile a player in a similar age profile like Shaun Burgoyne who is noted for his all round ability and two way footy, has had two seasons in his last 10 where he has averaged over 3.5 Tackles a game.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No. He’s cooked and has been for a couple of years. He’s given Geelong, and himself, a nice little start to the season.
And that’s why he’s still playing. Get the cats off to a reasonable start and then flame out.
Little Gaz will run out gas halfway through the season as he has done in the last three seasons.

Last season his final 6 games saw him average 22 touches, a goal, and 6.5 tackles a game.

Yeah boy howdy he really let us down at the end there

Not as badly as he did the season before though.
Where he went 32, 31, 38, 24, Then 32 and 3 goals (against Hawthorn - seems you didn’t watch that game), 25 and 1, 25 and 2, then 28 in the only final he played.

God he really tapered off there at the end. Ran right out of gas.

F*** it’s not like its hard to find numbers - you could at least TRY to verify your claims before publishing them.

Last edited:

Rosscoe

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course Gary gets a game at another club...he is changing his body to play a role up forward.

Back