Would Gary Ablett Jr still get a game at your club?

I loved Lincoln McCarthy at the Cats, but I'm not sure he'd hold his spot if you had Ablett running around for the Lions?

After last night probably not aye. Well done on the win, feel free to rub it in for the next 15 odd weeks.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett has serious issues with his shoulder. He can't commit to a contested overhead mark, and won't put his shoulder into a tackle. On the flip side their might not be a guy in the AFL that delivers the ball inside 50 as well as he does. A team like Melbourne are crying out for a guy like Ablett, but I'm not sure a team like Brisbane or Gold Coast would get the full benefit.

Summer Awe

Debutant
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
He's 36 years old with horrendously bad shoulders and it still took Michael Walters having a career best year in 2019 to narrowly edge Gaz for the All-Australian team...

He averaged 20 disposals, 1.5 goals a game and nearly 5 tackles....as a 36 year old small forward

This year he's averaging 16 disposals and 1 goal a game in 20% less game time... not to mention his score assists or delivery inside 50.

Is he the Gaz of 2007-13? No

Would any club in the entire competition benefit from having him in their team? Yes

This thread is disrespectful af,

newcastlefalcon

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am amazed at some of the posts here.
I watched Ablett at the Suns and any wonder he has had shoulder issues as he carried the whole club (not team).
I would have him at my club in a blink, just reflect on what he did with Rowell after the Suns Cats game and of course we shouldn't mention the game against Brisbane last night!

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
No, i would rather play a kid even though i understand the Geelong call, i would not do it for anyone.

Sam Lloyd isn't a kid. He's 30.

If he can get 4 games in before being out with injury averaging sub 7 disposals 0.25 goals and 0.25 goal assists a game in 2020, then Ablett who is 10x the field kick Lloyd (and most players) is can when averaging just under 17 disposals, 0.8 goals and 1 goal assist a game can DEFINITELY get a game in the Western Bulldogs side :drunk::drunk::drunk:

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
So will Impey when he is fit.

Does Ablett get a game ahead of Impey?

Its an interesting concept. We cant exactly say "No, youth is our focus". But being able to attack and defend is something Clarko wants from everyone. Ablett hasnt run both ways in many, many years.

He's quite happy to concede that he'll get no attack from Puopolo, so why would Ablett not defending from a forward pocket when your side clearly needs better ball entry inside 50 be such a bad thing?

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The first thought for many Geelong fans would be that Ablett is a victim of tall poppy syndrome.

I'd argue he's actually just a victim of the OBSESSION with pressure and defensive play.

Of course as a team of 22 you have to both attack and defend well. Not just rack up a few tackles, but cover space, apply meaningful pressure etc.

But not each player has to do that to an elite level. There is not one side with 22 players who do both to an elite level. Of course, the ones that are criticized are always the forward players, not the defensive players

Ball use is still the most important factor. I'd argue the most skilled sides in the comp have won 4 of the last 7 flags (Hawks x3 Eagles x1). Of the sides that weren't far and away the best kicking side in the comp, Richmond had some of the best ball handlers in the comp, so while they didn't rely on kicking they were clean on ground balls and stoppages (including the best mid/forward Martin who is lethal around goals) and the Dogs had exceptionally quick and effective handballers too.

Skills matter as much as pressure. There are so many clubs who can't hit a chest going forward and as such can't kick a winning score, but because Ablett doesn't pseudo-chase like Puopolo does, apparently Ablett is s**t and won't get a game even if he was 7th for score involvements in 2019 (behind J.Cameron, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Martin, Bont and Prestia) and is hovering around 30th in 2020 in per game rankings. But nah, scoring isn't important, luckily Hawthorn applied pressure last night to score an entire ******* 27 points, who needs scoring.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
only watched snippets of the game as i was at work

but I did see in the 2nd qtr he kicked it out on the full and Bruce lamented that he was having a 'dirty night' in his sickening puppy dog patronising voice that sounded like he was contemplating having to put down his pet dog

Noticed that he kicked a pretty good goal in the 3rd qtr and although I don't know how the rest of his game went, I feel like Bruce's call was clearly way too early

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's quite happy to concede that he'll get no attack from Puopolo, so why would Ablett not defending from a forward pocket when your side clearly needs better ball entry inside 50 be such a bad thing?

Assumes we are offering Poppy a contract next year. Im not sure he gets one.

I suspect we see more of our kids getting games as the year goes on. We are very much a mid level side.

Back