Would Gary Ablett Jr still get a game at your club?

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
only watched snippets of the game as i was at work

but I did see in the 2nd qtr he kicked it out on the full and Bruce lamented that he was having a 'dirty night' in his sickening puppy dog patronising voice that sounded like he was contemplating having to put down his pet dog

Noticed that he kicked a pretty good goal in the 3rd qtr and although I don't know how the rest of his game went, I feel like Bruce's call was clearly way too early

In Bruce's defense he was probably right at the time of the call (I think it was Abletts 3rd or 4th touch and his only good one had been his first goal), and he did acknowledge Ablett had lifted for the rest of the game later on. Lots I don't like about current day commentary but I don't feel like Bruce is too egotistical to not acknowledge when he got a call wrong.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
In Bruce's defense he was probably right at the time of the call (I think it was Abletts 3rd or 4th touch and his only good one had been his first goal), and he did acknowledge Ablett had lifted for the rest of the game later on. Lots I don't like about current day commentary but I don't feel like Bruce is too egotistical to not acknowledge when he got a call wrong.

that could all be very true but i just found the initial call a bit 'gross' somehow - I'm just over his gushing - and yeh somehow he made a call about a player's 'dirty night' still sound like he was gushing over a player

anyway this ain't a Bruce thread
carry on

Would be Adelaide's best midfielder to answer OP

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Assumes we are offering Poppy a contract next year. Im not sure he gets one.

I suspect we see more of our kids getting games as the year goes on. We are very much a mid level side.

I'm not sure whether Ablett plays for Geelong next year either, the merits of him in 2021 is not really what I thought you were posting about initially. Just about 2 way players. And the thread is Ablett in 2020. I'd say based on the evidence Ablett absolutely gets a game for Hawthorn in 2020.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not sure whether Ablett plays for Geelong next year either, the merits of him in 2021 is not really what I thought you were posting about initially. Just about 2 way players. And the thread is Ablett in 2020. I'd say based on the evidence Ablett absolutely gets a game for Hawthorn in 2020.

Ah. I was seeing this as a would you get him in your team type of thread.

For 2020 why not.

For the future, no thanks.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sam Lloyd isn't a kid. He's 30.

If he can get 4 games in before being out with injury averaging sub 7 disposals 0.25 goals and 0.25 goal assists a game in 2020, then Ablett who is 10x the field kick Lloyd (and most players) is can when averaging just under 17 disposals, 0.8 goals and 1 goal assist a game can DEFINITELY get a game in the Western Bulldogs side :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Ablett is a great player, no doubt, but all players get to the point when they are just taking a place on the list. You are a Carlton
man you did a similar thing with Eddie Betts, i love Eddie, but he is cooked and only capable of brief cameos now. Sometimes
reality is cold and hard, we recruited Hall and Akermanis and they played some great footy, but their candles were never going
to burn for very long. Ablett deserves the right to go out on his terms, but Geelong is the place he should do it and will do it
same with Eddie Betts only Carlton no one else.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Ablett is a great player, no doubt, but all players get to the point when they are just taking a place on the list. You are a Carlton
man you did a similar thing with Eddie Betts, i love Eddie, but he is cooked and only capable of brief cameos now. Sometimes
reality is cold and hard, we recruited Hall and Akermanis and they played some great footy, but their candles were never going
to burn for very long. Ablett deserves the right to go out on his terms, but Geelong is the place he should do it and will do it
same with Eddie Betts only Carlton no one else.

OK. Nice story. He's still a better player than Sam Lloyd who is also nearing the end of his candle and is still in your best 22 when not injured.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OK. Nice story. He's still a better player than Sam Lloyd who is also nearing the end of his candle and is still in your best 22 when not injured.
Laitham Vandermeer and eventually Cody Weightman when he debuts excite me more for the future, but that is my opinion and
yes Sam Lloyd has been an excellent pick up from a good team, but could not be compared to Gary Junior in terms of ability.

Cash is King

Quiet Australian
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone that had money on Geelong and paying close attention to Thursday night would see that Gary stunk when the cats were up against it.
It was only when Danger and others lifted that Gary started to get free and get some possessions which allowed him to do some damage.
That first half was agonising watching him fumble and react slowly to everything. Fortunately it ended well.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone that had money on Geelong and paying close attention to Thursday night would see that Gary stunk when the cats were up against it.
It was only when Danger and others lifted that Gary started to get free and get some possessions which allowed him to do some damage.
That first half was agonising watching him fumble and react slowly to everything. Fortunately it ended well.
We had 3 goals on the board at half time and Ablett kicked one himself from outside 50 and directly assisted two others. So he's responsible for all our goals at half time. Bruce had a mare.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not at my club. We don't like religious zealots, uppity minorities, teetolaters, or anti-gambling lobby. I think that's 3 black marks for Gary right there, the little bald headed freak.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We had 3 goals on the board at half time and Ablett kicked one himself from outside 50 and directly assisted two others. So he's responsible for all our goals at half time. Bruce had a mare.
When you bring back Ablett recruit Dahlhaus and Rohan and draft Atkins to enhance your forward half pressure it can squeeze out
the youngsters a little it is a very fine line the line of balance.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
482 possessions, 34 goals, 20 goal assists and 13 Brownlow votes last year. No comment on weather he would get a game at any other club, just wanted to put that out there.
He would only play for Geelong, Geelong or retire were the two options and you are a long time retired. No one is knocking Ablett,
well some are, but the sensible ones are looking to the future.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Lolllllllllll

when we were up against it he:

- kicked our first goal from 55m
- set up our second goal when we were 22 points down with a perfect pass under pressure to Menegola who kicked straight
- from memory set up our third goal when we were 16 points down with a perfect pass to Hawkins
- put us in front when we were a point behind with a perfect goal on the run in the third quarter.

nice try though.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
When you bring back Ablett recruit Dahlhaus and Rohan and draft Atkins to enhance your forward half pressure it can squeeze out
the youngsters a little it is a very fine line the line of balance.

On the flip side we’ve managed to get games into Miers who looks a very very good player and is actually important for us up forward

MCG-Unit

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2003
Gore
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Geelong West, Townsville
welcome mat.jpg

Not at my club. We don't like religious zealots, uppity minorities, teetolaters, or anti-gambling lobby. I think that's 3 black marks for Gary right there, the little bald headed freak.
1594703825996.png
1594703825996.png
1594703825996.png

Last edited:

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Laitham Vandermeer and eventually Cody Weightman when he debuts excite me more for the future, but that is my opinion and
yes Sam Lloyd has been an excellent pick up from a good team, but could not be compared to Gary Junior in terms of ability.

Yes, and if Lloyd is still in your best 22, as evidenced by him getting weekly games when fit, and cannot be compared to Ablett in terms of ability... Does that not make it a Monty that he'd get a game?

And no s**t. I'm more excited about kids who haven't been drafted than Ablett or Betts for the future. But let's not be ridiculous. Ablett still gets a game at the Dogs in 2020.

He would only play for Geelong, Geelong or retire were the two options and you are a long time retired. No one is knocking Ablett,
well some are, but the sensible ones are looking to the future.

The sensible ones are looking to the future by playing the likes of Sam Lloyd apparently.

Not sure how you don't get this point. You can't keep saying Ablett only gets a game at Geelong because other clubs are looking to the future when other clubs still play Burgoyne, Betts, Puopolo, Matera, Lloyd etc - none of whom are likely to play in another flag for their team barring a 2020 miracle.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure how you don't get this point. You can't keep saying Ablett only gets a game at Geelong because other clubs are looking to the future when other clubs still play Burgoyne, Betts, Puopolo, Matera, Lloyd etc - none of whom are likely to play in another flag for their team barring a 2020 miracle.
Ablett only wanted to go back to Geelong, would you rather Betts or Papley at the Blues (Long Term) you might need some think music.

Ha

I would not want a player who only runs one way and doesn't do the hard yards defensively
have you seen you team lately?

You - your entire team - kicked 3 goals a game last week. GAJ has put up a higher score total than your entire team.

But no... cant get a gig at Glenferrie.

lol

GO Catters

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett only wanted to go back to Geelong, would you rather Betts or Papley at the Blues (Long Term) you might need some think music.
This thread is a hypothetical about if Ablett was on your list right now at least as i understand it.

If that is the case and he was in any of the other 17 sides he would be playing every round his body would let him.

E.g If he was at the Dogs i bet you Beveridge would pick him as would Clarko if he was at the Hawks etc

Back