Would gavin excell have played the 1989 grand final rematch?

Does gavin excell play in the 89 grand final replay?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but its exell (in honor of the heartfelt plea of vdubs)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually only first saw it a few years ago. A Hawks fan showed it to me. Have never been able to find it on the internet though.
I had no idea! I always thought it was the bump that injured him.

My memory is he came in on him a second time, and you can see him resetting and stepping towards the downed brereton in the footage posted above. I thought that the second hit was just another hip and shoulder as dermie was trying to regain his balance.

Now that you mention it, I have always wondered why the vision cut out at thus point. I dont remember a knee though, just another (lesser) bump.

True. But seems like we might have had some nice potential replacements anyway.

Hamilton was considered a bit of a prodigy as i recall. Nonetheless, got shipped off pretty quickly to brisbane when things didnt progress, maybe along with cameron? I think he might have gone to belmont high, but i might be getting him confused with whatshisname whyte???

I was 18 in 1989.

Gavin Excell was a strange player - in that he had ability - in that high scoring game at Princes Park earlier that year (89) against the Hawks - a game i went to - where Geel led by about 9 goals at half time ( should have been 11 goals Robert Scott ( frustrated the shiit out of me he did ) missed a sitter just before h/time - and Haw rushed it down the other end - and Dipper kicked a goal right on the bell to bring the margin back to 9 goals

Excell that day played Full forward that day ( Ablett - it was his 100th game i can remember that - played on a half forward flank ) and played very well and kicked a bag full of goals at full forward - his o/head marking was great

But Excell just somehow lost the ability - ended up going to Fitzroy and didnt do much their either - maybe he lost application - wasnt fit enough got no idea - but he went from a player who could play - to someone who couldnt

He could certainly play when he was in the Bendigo league after his afl career finished.

Was a gun.

He could certainly play when he was in the Bendigo league after his afl career finished.
Was a gun.
One of a long list of enigmatic cats players ( mostly forwards) who were roosters one week and featherdusters the next. We seemed to have more than our fair share in the 80s and 90s

If they showed the original vision that was only showed once he would of got suspended for ages. Even for the 80's.
Kneed him a good 2 or 3 times.
Just for the bump, nah he would of been fine
Yeah, you can see him charging at Brereton in the vision, but never see what happens next. I always thought the bump looked nothing like capable of inflicting the damage he copped.

All those guys were sitting out in 89? Far out, thats some nice depth. The old days where 18 yo guys just wouldnt even get a look in, unless they were complete prodigies, because you had 60-70 hardened men at the club.

Yeah it’s interesting, the list size meant you could keep someone in the reserves for 3-4 years to let them mature and develop. Hawthorn all through the 1980s was the absolute model of this.

One of a long list of enigmatic cats players ( mostly forwards) who were roosters one week and featherdusters the next. We seemed to have more than our fair share in the 80s and 90s

A story I heard second hand was that Blight tried him at full forward as he’d hurt his knee in 1988, which affected his mobility (he came to us as a winger). Worked spectacularly in 1989, then once opposition teams worked out he could only lead one way he was in trouble.

Yeah it’s interesting, the list size meant you could keep someone in the reserves for 3-4 years to let them mature and develop. Hawthorn all through the 1980s was the absolute model of this.

Best example of that is Michael Tuck - how many games did he play for Hawthorn 2nds - 70 to 80 games - something like that - it was an incredible number - given that he nearly played 400 for the seniors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A number of things:

1. Bairstow went back to WA.
2. Blight gave the team a light pre-season.
3. Bews did his knee early in the season against Richmond.

It all came apart that year.

Bourke didn’t play a game.
Bos retired.

I think we lost 6 games by about 15 points or less.

They just never really got going.

We came very close to a drawn grand final in 89 with the end result only 6 points and geelong scoring at will in the last qtr. if the draw happened then surely there would of been pandemonium.

Both teams had enormous injury tolls.

Before blight sensationally dropped star full forward Modra from the 97 finals series he had kind of already pulled the move before. Dropping gavin excell for the semi final despite kicking nearly 4 goals a game throughout the season including 10 against hawthorn.

Despite ablett kicking 10 in the gf (im assuming he would of got the last to give us the draw) would excell have been brought back with all the injuries? Im assuming bourke, stoneham, bruns, schulze miss through injury and porbably or two others and hocking probably suspended.

So does excell make it back in the team? If not who else? If he does where do we play ablett?

So many fascinating scenarios.
When did Excell last play prior to the HF? As I recall he was hot midway through the season but dropped off in form. I might be wrong on that. Cameron was the form part time forward

When did Excell last play prior to the HF? As I recall he was hot midway through the season but dropped off in form. I might be wrong on that. Cameron was the form part time forward

It's funny because that was exactly my recollection. Then I looked it up and he kicked 5 in the second last round against North, then 3 against Richmond in Round 22. So didn't finish the season too bad at all.

Back