Would gavin excell have played the 1989 grand final rematch?

Does gavin excell play in the 89 grand final replay?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but its exell (in honor of the heartfelt plea of vdubs)

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

When did Excell last play prior to the HF? As I recall he was hot midway through the season but dropped off in form. I might be wrong on that. Cameron was the form part time forward
He slowed but still was doing ok. Cameron kicked 12 goals in 8 games in 89. Excell averaged 3.7 goals a game. Not really comparable.

Saw that when it happened, never shown again on the day, never seen it on any video clip since, never even gets mentioned.
My old man has a VHS with the 89 Grand Final on it, tapped from Channel 7. Was it shown on the original broadcast? I might have to dig it up and have a look.

Last edited:

My old man has a VHS with the 89 Grand Final on it, tapped from Channel 7. Was it shown on the original broadcast? I might have to dig it up and have a look.
Yes, it was shown fleetingly in the first very quick, short replay on the live telecast, that's where I saw it. It wasn't shown on any later in-game or post-game replays.

Yes, it was shown fleetingly in the first very quick, short replay on the live telecast, that's where I saw it. It wasn't shown on any later in-game or post-game replays.
Interestingly in this clip, its mentioned that they didn't show "the bit where he went back after you again". I guess that somewhat confirms it. I will have to dig up that tape now.

A number of things:

1. Bairstow went back to WA.
2. Blight gave the team a light pre-season.
3. Bews did his knee early in the season against Richmond.

They just never really got going.
Spot on.
That first game v Hawks was a foretaste of our season.
I was at that Bews game. He was playing well, captain, and we kicked ourselves out of that game. A rare Tigers win at Geelong.

We came very close to a drawn grand final in 89 with the end result only 6 points and geelong scoring at will in the last qtr. if the draw happened then surely there would of been pandemonium.

Both teams had enormous injury tolls.

Before blight sensationally dropped star full forward Modra from the 97 finals series he had kind of already pulled the move before. Dropping gavin excell for the semi final despite kicking nearly 4 goals a game throughout the season including 10 against hawthorn.

Despite ablett kicking 10 in the gf (im assuming he would of got the last to give us the draw) would excell have been brought back with all the injuries? Im assuming bourke, stoneham, bruns, schulze miss through injury and porbably or two others and hocking probably suspended.

So does excell make it back in the team? If not who else? If he does where do we play ablett?

So many fascinating scenarios.
Gavin EXELL

I don't recall Excell playing in the reserves grand final. Was he injured regardless of form?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I taped the broadcast and watched it religiously as a young fella and I can't recall them showing the knee drop.
I recall them showing the bump and seeing Yeates go towards DB again but they never showed him dropping the knee

I taped the broadcast and watched it religiously as a young fella and I can't recall them showing the knee drop.
I recall them showing the bump and seeing Yeates go towards DB again but they never showed him dropping the knee
I've seen it. Wasn't dropping the knee either. Twas a bit worse than that.

Also, dunno if you'd wanna cheapen yourself by going on the Hawks board, but I'm sure someone would have footage of it there.

Back