Would Goodes be Geelongs best player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just goes to show how many people don't really watch the footy.

Says the man who says Johnson is better than Goodes. I can understand people thinking Selwood is a better player and even can see how a bit of bias could make you think Bartel is superior. Johnson is a very good footballer no doubt but isn't even close to the class of Adam Goodes.

I agree. But he isn't better than Selwood, Scarlett, Johnson and Bartel.

Yes he is, though Selwood could possibly stake a claim. As for others, get your head out of the sand.

Thread closed.:confused:

Don't forget Goodes is a supreme athlete who is continually the number one target, and they look for him whenever they have the ball.
Good player but nowhwere near elite, or one of the greatest for that matter.

Yep. Close the thread. It's not fair to fight a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Don't honestly think you can have watched many Sydney games then. Goods is incredibly consistent. I'd suggest he is very occasionally average, mostly great, and often brilliant.

And he performs in finals.

Yeah, can't imagine Scarlett, Selwood, Johnson or Bartel performing in finals. I'm sure Johnson and Bartel at the least have played some useful finals games, could be wrong though. :rolleyes:

I was having a debate with a Geelong supporter the other day talking about the Swans and Adam Goodes. I made a comment saying Goodes would be Geelong's best player if he played for them. He completely disagreed and laughted it off. I was just wondering what people thought here about it. Would Goodes be geelong's best player if he played with them at this stage of his career?

Nope, not even close.

Scarlett, Selwood, Bartel, Steve Johnson all ahead of him. Chappy at his best every bit as good.

Goodes often has to play as a KPP at Sydney as they lack quality KPF talent. His best position is as a roaming ruck rover, which he rarely plays owing to the side he plays in.

If he was allowed to play that position, week in, week out, he would easily be in the top 5 players in the competition. You can't really say the same for Selwood as he simply lacks the firepower that Goodes has. It's no disrespect on Selwood, few players in the AFL are over 194 cm and can play in the ruck, on the ball or forward like Goodes has in his career.

But he doesn't and he isn't.

I can't believe I forgot Corey Enright. Bloody hell.

Says the man who says Johnson is better than Goodes. I can understand people thinking Selwood is a better player and even can see how a bit of bias could make you think Bartel is superior. Johnson is a very good footballer no doubt but isn't even close to the class of Adam Goodes.

Put bluntly, that's your opinion which you're thoroughly entitled to.

But I think it's bullshit. Johnson is every bit the footballer Goodes is. Love to know what the criteria is, because if big game performances are any guide Johnson has Goodes covered. Kicking 4 goals in a Grand Final with an injured knee isn't a bad achievement.

But I think it's bullshit. Johnson is every bit the footballer Goodes is. Love to know what the criteria is, because if big game performances are any guide Johnson has Goodes covered. Kicking 4 goals in a Grand Final with an injured knee isn't a bad achievement.

this :thumbsu:

Goodes awesome player but as someone mentioned above, he's failed on multiple occasions in finals footy.

Nope, not even close.

Scarlett, Selwood, Bartel, Steve Johnson all ahead of him. Chappy at his best every bit as good.

On last years form hes ahead of all of them easily bar Selwood and if it was his prime he would be way ahead
Stevie J was probably even with Goodes last year

this :thumbsu:

Goodes awesome player but as someone mentioned above, he's failed on multiple occasions in finals footy.

Sorry, what finals has Goodes failed in? I saw someone say he was rubbish in the 2 GF's but that is far from the truth. He wasn't BOG in either certainly but he wasn't woeful. He was one of the big reasons we got back in the game in 2006.

I know you all want to protect and pump up your own players but don't go over the top in slagging off Goodes. There's no need to.

Sorry, what finals has Goodes failed in? I saw someone say he was rubbish in the 2 GF's but that is far from the truth. He wasn't BOG in either certainly but he wasn't woeful. He was one of the big reasons we got back in the game in 2006.

I know you all want to protect and pump up your own players but don't go over the top in slagging off Goodes. There's no need to.

Best advice I can give you is just don't bite to posts like that. There's no question marks on Goodes as a player in the H&A season or finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best advice I can give you is just don't bite to posts like that. There's no question marks on Goodes as a player in the H&A season or finals.

I've tried really hard not to but some of these posts masquerading as facts about Goodes' career are just ludicrous.

May well have walked straight into a troll but so be it.

It's not about slagging him off. The point was made about his big game performances and his grand final performances. Compare them to players like Scarlett, Selwood, Johnson and Bartel and tell me who does the job in finals.

Scarlett's finals record alone is awesome.

Well, firstly I don't think there would be a large difference in those 4 and their big game performances and Goodes'. Perhaps one would win out over the other 4 but I couldn't say who that was. In other words I'm saying all 5 perform and have performed consistently on the big stage.

And secondly, it has to be taken into account the team Goodes has played in compared to the ones those 4 have played in. Goodes has been in some very good teams but the other 4 have been in Geelong sides that rate as some of the best of all time. That doesn't automatically elevate Goodes above them but it certainly has to come into consideration.

Bartel hasn't been average he's been exceptional at playing a specific role.

Role players win AA acknowledgment too. We saw this with Goddard in 2010 who not only won AA honours but was also thought of as the best player in the comp at one stage. Bartel may be ranked 2nd best in the comp according to a fan poll, but he didn't even make the squad of 40 in the AA team, and without injury or lack of games to lean on, the conclusion has to be made that he's simply not that good.

Role players win AA acknowledgment too. We saw this with Goddard in 2010 who not only won AA honours but was also thought of as the best player in the comp at one stage. Bartel may be ranked 2nd best in the comp according to a fan poll, but he didn't even make the squad of 40 in the AA team, and without injury or lack of games to lean on, the conclusion has to be made that he's simply not that good.

He kicked a point to beat Hawthorn. Get over it.

He kicked a point to beat Hawthorn. Get over it.

And he hasn't been named in the best 22 in the country ( All Australian ), since 2008. He's nowhere near the level of Adam Goodes. Everyone seems to recognise it besides you and a couple of Geelong posters.

Goodes is on par with Scarlett. (Ablett is above IMO)

Enright and Selwood a rung below them - I can't believe people still underrate Enright, he won 2 B&Fs in Premiership years, and Scotts said he and Scarlett are the most impressive of the team (or something along those lines).

Then another rung down is Bartel, Johnson and Chapman.

Goodes is an absolute monster when on, and has the ability to turn a game on its head.

Yes he would be.

Career wise Scarlett may be a match, though I am leaning towards Goodes it is definitely a line ball. On last seasons form, especially the latter half then yes, Goodes would be Geelongs best player.

He looks in fine form again this pre-season and on raw current ability I would suggest only Selwood is his equal at Geelong.

I should loathe Goodes and his antics but clearly on both longevity of achievement and recent(ish) exposed form only a handful of players could claim definitively to be his match or better.

Goodes is on par with Scarlett. (Ablett is above IMO)

Enright and Selwood a rung below them - I can't believe people still underrate Enright, he won 2 B&Fs in Premiership years, and Scotts said he and Scarlett are the most impressive of the team (or something along those lines).

Then another rung down is Bartel, Johnson and Chapman.

Goodes is an absolute monster when on, and has the ability to turn a game on its head.

Post of the thread so far :thumbsu:

says you who has been doing nothing but giving it to Bartel, Selwood and Johnson like every other non-Geelong supporter in this thread :p

2001 against Hawthorn
16 touches with only 5 contested, 5 marks, 6 hitouts, 3 tackles, 2 goals

2003 against Port Adelaide & Brisbane
17 touches with 8 contested, 4 marks, 22 hitouts, 2.5 tackles, 0 goals, 3 clangers per game

2004 against West Coast & St Kilda
15 touches, 5.5 marks, 1.5 hitouts, 1 tackle, 1 goal, 1.5 clangers per game

2005 against West Coast, Geelong, St Kilda & West Coast
18 touches, 4.5 marks, 1 hitout, 2.5 tackles only 1 goal the entire finals series and had over 3.2 clangers per game.

2006 against West Coast, Fremantle & West Coast
20.5 touches (much better showing this time around), 4 marks, 1.5 hitouts, 3 tackles, 1 goal and again 3.5 clangers per game.

2007 against Collingwood
Best on ground performance

2008 against North Melbourne & Doggies
11 touches (2 contested), 3.5 marks, 0 hitouts, 1.5 tackles, 2 goals and a clanger a game playing in the forward line.

again didn't quite bother to show up and produce like he did in the regular season.

a no show yet again.

Now I understand you may be offended as I have put down your favourite player but in those 20 finals matches, apart from one absolute blinder against Collingwood, can you explain why he has been average at best for a guy of his ability as you have made clear in recent posts?

I would have expected him to produce similar to that 2007 game on a very consistent basis or even have a Norm Smith medal at least?

But I think it's bullshit. Johnson is every bit the footballer Goodes is. Love to know what the criteria is, because if big game performances are any guide Johnson has Goodes covered.

Well, lucky for Goodes the whole career performance comes into it. Why are some Geelong fans so desperate to make this about finals games only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back