Would Leroy Jetta play 100 games today?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a huge believer in his talent. Before the draft he was seen as the next Andrew McLeod. Truly had all the tools just didn't quite have it between the ears. He was a very instinctive player, who looked like he was over thinking things. When he was on, he was being himself.
Nowhere near the next McLeod, but your comment about his overthinking was spot on. He never consistently backed himself in which means yeah he was good enough to play 200 AFL games, But he himself probably stopped. You never know with team structure, how people are instructed to play, But i felt essendon wasnt the best enviroment for him and probably decided to leave 4 years too late

He was a bit of a disappointment in the end wasn't he. I was keen for him to end up at the Eagles eventually and see what came of it.

Another type of player that's mostly vanished is the finisher, who'd take a couple marks on the lead and set shots but were a passive functionary and didn't work as much on their team contribution around the ground and got a bit left behind. Feel like the Magpies press era finally killed those ones off.

During the telecast of the 2006 draft, as the first round rolled on Leroy could be seen rolling his eyes and scoffing that none of the teams had the sense to select him. They instead opted for plodders who only got noticed because of their family names: Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley.

If I were Geelong I'd have taken Leroy at pick 7 instead of a slow midfielder from Bendigo who'd already had a knee reconstruction - another kid who only was in calculations because he had brothers in the league. But I do think that Leroy could have played 100 games today.

Last edited:
Love this thread, need more of them revisiting certain players.

Jetta was a huge talent that got lost in the system thru shitty development, shitty on field performance and confidence issues. His best was electric, his worst was horrific.

I think in today's Essendon side he would easily play 150

Probably in the minority, but I actually love these kinds of threads.

Would have been cool to see Leroy develop in a better side. Had a great mix of pace, X-factor and came into the league full of beans and looked like every EPL footballer circa that era.

Was rated really highly in a draft that was seen at the time as the best since '01.

Carved out a handy career, although his ceiling from an outside POV was pretty big.

Had great agility, could make opponents look silly and was an excellent field kick but he was not pacey especially for a sub 180cm small forward with poor physicality. I'm sure he didn't reach his max potential at Essendon but I wouldn't consider him as someone with a particularly high ceiling.

He did start taking the piss in the VFL as a midfielder in his final year on Essendon's list though so maybe he was miscast as forward pocket. Kyle Reimers did a similar thing in his final year on the list as well. I really wanted both of them to make it as despite both having fairly average careers they had that uncanny ability to hit a leading forward on the chest.

During the telecast of the 2006 draft, as the first round rolled on Leroy could be seen rolling his eyes and scoffing that none of the teams had the sense to select him. They instead opted for plodders who only got noticed because of their family names: Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley.

If I were Geelong I'd have taken Leroy at pick 7 instead of a slow midfielder from Bendigo who'd already had a knee reconstruction - another kid who only was in calculations because he had brothers in the league. But I do think that Leroy could have played 100 games today.
Come again?

I would like to listen to Leroy Jetta interviewed by Tim (Helium) Gossage, but I'm afraid maybe only my dog could hear them. :cool: :p

Much hyped as a top 10 prospect pre-draft, and entering the league with great confidence in himself, Jetta didn't have the career that he thought he was going to have.

But since he was drafted, an additional two teams have entered the league (= 75 more opportunities to be on a list), and the game style has continued to move away from stumpy players who can't kick. Would today's football have suited Leroy better? He had a good year or two and did make it to 93 games.

Rather than Leroy not being ready for AFL football, was it more the case that AFL football was not ready for Leroy?

Hey Leory, hope your keeping well mate. Thanks for donning the sash. I was a believer in you.

In answer to your question…of course you would get 100 games today. Easy. Maybe even 200 ;)

Joel Selwood. Only got a look-in based on the family name.
You might want to delete your account.

As a bottom ager Selwood played TAC Cup football making the Team of the Year, played for Vic Country at the national champs where he was named AA and Vic Country's MVP, captained the International Rules team where he won the Ron Barassi medal.

Kevin Sheehan also rated him the best 17 year old that year.

But sure, he was only drafted coz his older brothers played.

Last edited:
You might want to delete your account.

As a bottom ager Selwood played TAC Cup football making the Team of the Year, played for Vic Country at the national champs where he was named AA and Vic Country's MVP, captained the International Rules team where he won the Ron Barassi medal.

Kevin Sheehan also rated him the best 17 year old that year.

But sure, he was only drafted coz his older brothers played.

He didn't have Jetta's razzle dazzle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back