Would the 2007 Premiers be competitive against this team???

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats Pyjamas

Debutant
Oct 10, 2007
Elwood, Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
I've just been thinking about all the great 'non-premiership' players Geelong have had between 1963 & 2007. So for a bit of a comparison I've picked an all-star 'non-premiers' and lined them up against the 2007 premiers. I suppose you could say it's a team of champions versus a champion team. I'm guessing the team of champions would win but would the 2007 team be competitive?

B: J.Hunt - M.Scarlett - T.Harley
F: A.Bews - G.Ablett snr - J.Newman

HB: D.Wojcinski - D.Milburn - A.Mackie
HF: D.Clarke snr - B.Stoneham - B.Ryan

C: J.Corey - J.Bartel - C.Enright
C: P.Riccardi - P.Couch - M.Turner

HF: J.Selwood - N.Ablett - M.Stokes
HB: D.Marshall - J.Hawkins - K.Hinkley

F: S.Johnson - C.Mooney - P.Chapman
B: M.Bos - G.Malarkey - I.Nankervis

R: B.Ottens - C.Ling - G.Ablett jnr
R: R.Blake - M.Bairstow - G.Hocking

Inter: S.King, M.Rooke, J.Kelly, S.Byrnes,
Inter: B.Graham, R.Neal, B.Nankervis, N.Bruns

I selected the team from GFC Hall of Fame members who played between 1963 & 2007 but didn't play in either premiership team.The other players who fitted that criteria but who I couldn't fit in the team were:

Terry Bright
Billy Brownless
Wayne Closter
Tim Darcy
Steve Hocking
Michael Mansfield
Tim McGrath
David Mensch
Ken Newland
Brenton Sanderson
John Scarlett
Brad Sholl
Mark Yeates

I've just been thinking about all the great 'non-premiership' players Geelong have had between 1963 & 2007. So for a bit of a comparison I've picked an all-star 'non-premiers' and lined them up against the 2007 premiers. I suppose you could say it's a team of champions versus a champion team. I'm guessing the team of champions would win but would the 2007 team be competitive?

B: J.Hunt - M.Scarlett - T.Harley
F: A.Bews - G.Ablett snr - J.Newman

HB: D.Wojcinski - D.Milburn - A.Mackie
HF: D.Clarke snr - B.Stoneham - B.Ryan

C: J.Corey - J.Bartel - C.Enright
C: P.Riccardi - P.Couch - M.Turner

HF: J.Selwood - N.Ablett - M.Stokes
HB: D.Marshall - J.Hawkins - K.Hinkley

F: S.Johnson - C.Mooney - P.Chapman
B: M.Bos - G.Malarkey - I.Nankervis

R: B.Ottens - C.Ling - G.Ablett jnr
R: R.Blake - M.Bairstow - G.Hocking

Inter: S.King, M.Rooke, J.Kelly, S.Byrnes,
Inter: B.Graham, R.Neal, B.Nankervis, N.Bruns

I selected the team from GFC Hall of Fame members who played between 1963 & 2007 but didn't play in either premiership team.The other players who fitted that criteria but who I couldn't fit in the team were:

Terry Bright
Billy Brownless
Wayne Closter
Tim Darcy
Steve Hocking
Michael Mansfield
Tim McGrath
David Mensch
Ken Newland
Brenton Sanderson
John Scarlett
Brad Sholl
Mark Yeates

I'd have Mansfield in ahead of Scratcher, and Sammy starting in the ruck, but apart from that I reckon you've nailed a very competitive side there. I also reckon that lineup might just shade our 07 winners too.

How can you not have the great Billy? That's blasphemy of the highest order :D

I'm torn between the two sides. Geelong of '89 made me become a Cats fan and has so many of my favourite players - Snr, Billy, Couchy, Bairstow, Bewsy, Buddha, Stoneham. The 2007 champions are so brilliant all over the field.

I'll declare it a draw!

Probably against the spirit of the exercise but by 3/4 time the '89 side would be keeling over from heart failure. Modern AFL players are faster and have far better endurance than the players of twenty years ago: IIRC back in the day Rodney Eade was the fastest guy in the Hawks outfit, they pointed out that in the '05 Bulldogs squad there was something like 7 players who were faster than him! They'll simply run them off the park.

Geelong 2007 would beat 1989 due to a vastly superior defence and generally being more even across the ground.

However, Geelong 1963 - 2007 (players who didn't participate in either flag) is a significantly better side than 2007. In simple terms it is the 1989 team with a vastly improved defence and a few other players, including the wingman in the team of the century, Michael Turner! If the list had aligned like that in one period of time they would have won multiple flags without a doubt.

Almost every team from 2007 would beat the best team of '89, the game has evolved way too much, every player is a full-time footballer now, the pace of the game, the skills...it would all be too much for a team of 18 years ago...

I'd have Mansfield in ahead of Scratcher, and Sammy starting in the ruck, but apart from that I reckon you've nailed a very competitive side there. I also reckon that lineup might just shade our 07 winners too.

It's a bit freaky that you mention these two changes because I originally selected the team exactly how you suggested. I decided to move Sam out of the ruck because of his lack of height (189cm). I thought a taller ruckman like Blake (199cm) would match up better with Ottens (202cm).

My last minute decision to put Scratcher in ahead of Mansfield was probably influenced by the fact that he polled more career Brownlow votes (72) than most of the other midfielders I selected - Bairstow (65), Riccardi (60), B.Nankervis (60), Turner (54), Clarke snr (53) & Bews (39) & Bruns (35) and nearly three times as many as Mansfield (28). I thought that should earn him at least a place on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you not have the great Billy? That's blasphemy of the highest order :D

I tried to fit Billy in there somewhere but it was probably between him and Bill Ryan for a spot and I chose Ryan....

Bill Ryan

167 games, 220 goals, total Brownlow votes: 48
'Almost certainly the most spectacular and reliable high-marking exponent in the history of the club. He was known to take as many as 22 marks in a match. He used his large hands, lively spring and great judgment to full advantage. When he first came to the club his lack of speed and kicking skill were evident, but to his credit he improved both aspects to an amazing degree. His early football was played in the ruck and forward or back pocket. Later, he was moved to centre half-forward with abundant success. His 1971 season was outstanding, scoring 67 goals.'

Billy Brownless

198 games, 441 goals, total Brownlow votes: 12
'Spectacular forward who was a crowd favourite in his 198 games with the Cats. Finished as the club's third highest goal kicker of all time behind Ablett and Wade. Played in four Geelong grand final teams. Remained in the public spotlight since retiring through many high profile media roles.'

The 2007 team would piss all over any other Geelong team EVER....

The one place they might struggle is depth.....lets compare the 22nd player of each team:

Neville Bruns - 176cm, 77kg, 223 games, 174 goals, tough, tenacious, skillful

Shannon Byrnes - 174cm, 77kg, 45 games, 19 goals, ummmm....can run fast!

The one place they might struggle is depth.....lets compare the 22nd player of each team:

Neville Bruns - 176cm, 77kg, 223 games, 174 goals, tough, tenacious, skillful

Shannon Byrnes - 174cm, 77kg, 45 games, 19 goals, ummmm....can run fast!
Can run faster and harder than anyone in that entire 22. In terms of individual skill the 63-07 team is better, but as a team the premiership side has it. The game is faster, involves more and harder running, and has generally moved on (IIRC Rod Blake himself has said he'd be a less effective ruckman now, due to the changes in the rules).

Vaguely related question: if you had the choice, would you put Egan or Scarlett on Ablett?

...Vaguely related question: if you had the choice, would you put Egan or Scarlett on Ablett?

Possibly Harley....depends whether we are talking about:

a) 80's Ablett (e.g. taking a screamer then dashing down the wing and bombing a goal from 70m out) or

b) 90's Ablett (e.g. holding off an opponent with one arm while the ball lands on his chest then slotting through one easy goal after another)

Almost every team from 2007 would beat the best team of '89, the game has evolved way too much, every player is a full-time footballer now, the pace of the game, the skills...it would all be too much for a team of 18 years ago...

Absolutely. Interchanges is one major difference, symbolic of where the game is at - we aren't far off the 200 interchange game, there were maybe 11 in the 89 GF.

Actually here's an interesting comparison... Obviously our gamestyle is a bit different to that of last year, but still interesting. http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...e/2007/06/27/1182623991499.html?page=fullpage

No they would not. They were not as tough at the ball as the 2007 side.
I think people are giving too much credit to that guy's post. He's a Hawthorn fan; he was obviously implying that Geelong 07 wouldn't beat Hawthorn 89. It was just a subtle troll.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back