Would the AFL walk away from WADA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute rubbish
Whilst I do confer with your comment about $250m, because the government is not putting in a tenth of that figure. The AFL though would lose more than just government money, there would be a decent number of sponsors who would walk away from the AFL if it gave teh finger to WADA. Between state & federal funding combined with loss of sponsor your looking at a figure of around $20m a year. These sorts of loses would make life extremely difficult for clubs already struggling, as such forcing the AFL to pull funding away from development to prop them up further.

The Essendon players need to be punished.
The AFL need to make an example of Essendon.
Unfortunately there are going to have to take a hit to their bottom line.
Integrity before profit.
Short term pain for long term gain.

The Essendon players need to be punished.
The AFL need to make an example of Essendon.
Unfortunately there are going to have to take a hit to their bottom line.
Integrity before profit.
Short term pain for long term gain.
From what we've seen from this administration how you say they will accept this? All they care about is money.

The AFL will say "our new code is TOUGHER than WADA" as they will list allowed substances only, and you can't take anything not on the list - which removes any s0 doubt that exists.

They will then reverse the bans that WADA have handed down and let Essendon players play on.

They tried that already and got their arse smacked. Never going to happen.

Everyone gets a little over heated about the world as we know it ending if Essendon gets rubbed out. A month into the season nobody would even notice the difference.

Absolute rubbish

Lol, your kidding yourself if you think WADA will let Essendon cry their way out of a severe penalty all because Essendon are a big team and the AFL needs the revenue. The AFL has to accept punishment as well in the form of lost revenue as well. Just because a club is big does not give them the right to cheat their way to the top. The integrity of the competition is of paramount importance (even though ANDY D does not know what the word is and treats integrity in AFL like its dog s**t on his shoe compared to crowd figures).

To be honest Hirds rumoured 12 month suspension is a joke and an insult to the very heart of sport. He should be cutting and running with that deal. I am extremely disappointed with that penalty. Players could be ousted for 2 years under his program and he gets 12 months. unbelievable.

Lol, your kidding yourself if you think WADA will let Essendon cry their way out of a severe penalty all because Essendon are a big team and the AFL needs the revenue. The AFL has to accept punishment as well in the form of lost revenue as well. Just because a club is big does not give them the right to cheat their way to the top. The integrity of the competition is of paramount importance (even though ANDY D does not know what the word is and treats integrity in AFL like its dog s**t on his shoe compared to crowd figures).

To be honest Hirds rumoured 12 month suspension is a joke and an insult to the very heart of sport. He should be cutting and running with that deal. I am extremely disappointed with that penalty. Players could be ousted for 2 years under his program and he gets 12 months. unbelievable.
Try to get at least a modicum of understanding about the post you're responding to next time

I do not believe that the AFL would walk away from the WADA code however I think many on here are naive if they think funding would be cut if the AFL decided to abandon WADA or somehow international sport would abandon us..

Just imagine that millions of $ are cut from Australia' no 1 sport by our gov't. This sport is followed by millions of VOTERS. Hurt millions of VOTERS or appease a foreign authority? Too easy for me.

Australia would not be banned from any world sport esp. the Olympics. FFS North Korea(I want a war) and Iran(lets nuke the Israelis) are allowed to compete. Umm lets see Iran, wanting to kill millions, ok let them compete. Australia, not on the WADA code, no you can't come. That's fairy land FFS.

EFC will be punished. The players may be punished under WADA. However nothing is sacred esp. WADA

regards FFS

I do not believe that the AFL would walk away from the WADA code however I think many on here are naive if they think funding would be cut if the AFL decided to abandon WADA or somehow international sport would abandon us..

Just imagine that millions of $ are cut from Australia' no 1 sport by our gov't. This sport is followed by millions of VOTERS. Hurt millions of VOTERS or appease a foreign authority? Too easy for me.

Australia would not be banned from any world sport esp. the Olympics. FFS North Korea(I want a war) and Iran(lets nuke the Israelis) are allowed to compete. Umm lets see Iran, wanting to kill millions, ok let them compete. Australia, not on the WADA code, no you can't come. That's fairy land FFS.

EFC will be punished. The players may be punished under WADA. However nothing is sacred esp. WADA

regards FFS
Olympics is sport, not world politics. Sport is supposed to be a way for a country to get away from their turmoil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF its true that 2 players or more are found guilty of banned substances which leads to a team getting banned for minimum 2 years than that would have HUGE consequences for the entire AFL competition. If that team was ESS then that would be almost crippling to the hole competition, in a period when they are throwing money at 2 start up clubs. The TV rights... sponsorship...Anzac day... etc etc....
WADA throwing the hammer down on Ess would be something that the AFL would surely want to avoid....

Could the AFL walk away from the WADA agreement??? surely the loss of government funding would be dwarfed by the loss of a team for 2 years.

The AFL should walk away from WADA.
WADA are a shambles and AFL isn't the only sport caught up in performance enhancing drugs.

Floyd Mayweather jr put boxing on blast in 2009 when he officially asked for olympic sytyle blood testing - because testing requirements were outdated and insufficient, that was 4 years ago!!
America is a complete laughing stock as far as PED regulation is going and WADA is the organization that is supposed to be keeping drugs out of sports.
The AFL should ditch WADA and based move towards transparency between all clubs, the AFL should monitor clubs and players closely.
Clubs will not oppose this either.

The AFL should walk away from WADA.
WADA are a shambles and AFL isn't the only sport caught up in performance enhancing drugs.

Floyd Mayweather jr put boxing on blast in 2009 when he officially asked for olympic sytyle blood testing - because testing requirements were outdated and insufficient, that was 4 years ago!!
America is a complete laughing stock as far as PED regulation is going and WADA is the organization that is supposed to be keeping drugs out of sports.
The AFL should ditch WADA and based move towards transparency between all clubs, the AFL should monitor clubs and players closely.
Clubs will not oppose this either.

Will the afl be more transparent? They don't have a good track record on that front. The wada code is not an impediment to transparency nor is it an impediment to more stringent standards, rather it's a minimum requirement. If there's a lack of transparency, it's because the afl like it that way. After all wada didn't compel them to negotiate a penalty, could have had a hearing. The afl chose this path all by themselves.

Ever wondered why the clause is named S0 and does not follow standard document formatting of S1, S2 etc?
Because S0 was added after S1 S2 etc etc were already part of the WADA Banned list.
The clause was added in the 2011 revision effective January 2011.
This means that prior to that date AOD was irrefutably legal under the code.
Anyone, familiar with the 2010 code, made aware of changes to the code as of Jan 2011 who made enquirers of ASADA were told that AOD was not banned under S2. As the substance was not banned under any other clause S1 through S7 who would think there would even be an S0?
ASADA certainly did not think it relevant to inform anyone, including the authority responsible for assembling the allegations of banned substance use, the ACC, that there even was a new, retrospectively inserted clause, prefacing the former banned substance defining clauses.

Most people prefer to see the whole saga as an evil conspiracy rather than a massive bureaucratic ****-up it is.

Interesting take that I haven't heard before! Didn't realise S0 was tacked on like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back