Analysis Would the stand rule still have been introduced if Geelong had won the 2020 premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re acting as if thread has no validity. Would the same OP have made this thread if it wasn’t Geelong who won the 2022 premiership? Maybe not.

Would someone else have made this thread if anyone else won instead? Most likely.
Implying that Geelong had any relevancy to a rule being changed is quite frankly so dumb it doesn't even deserve a response. We all know why these threads are made, why pretend otherwise?

Seriously it’s been analysed to within an inch of its life.

The answer is this:

Since the stand rule was introduced, Geelong has lost Ablett Jr, Lachie Henderson, Luke Dahlhaus, Harry Taylor, Sam Simpson and a couple of others.

The side that won the grand final this year and who didn’t play the 2020 decider has Jeremy Cameron - arguably the best player in the comp. Tyson Stengle - this year’s best small forward. Sam De Koning - the best young key defender in the comp. Brad Close - a legitimately good small half forward. Max Holmes didn’t play the grand final but was an elite winger this year. Tom Atkins was elite this year.

If we fielded a roughly similar team in both years you could MAYBE build an argument that we just improved because of the rule change

But we didn’t. We fielded a team that had changed by 30 per cent.

So basically: We won because we were 2 games better than any team in the comp. We won because we belted the next best team by 14 goals in the grand final. We won because we were better than 17 other sides under the rules under which every side played and if you’re still too emotionally incapable of dealing with it, then go and seek help, remind yourself that you’re a human being who was born with a spine, locate it, and strap yourself in for whatever the hell your own club has waiting for it because I’m f***ing sick to death of reading the same group of people trying to avoid the awful truth: we were just too good this year, same as Melbourne were too good last year, Richmond were too good in 17, 19 and 20 and west coast were too good in 2018.

Deal with it.

The answer is this:

Since the stand rule was introduced, Geelong has lost Ablett Jr, Lachie Henderson, Luke Dahlhaus, Harry Taylor, Sam Simpson and a couple of others.

The side that won the grand final this year and who didn’t play the 2020 decider has Jeremy Cameron - arguably the best player in the comp. Tyson Stengle - this year’s best small forward. Sam De Koning - the best young key defender in the comp. Brad Close - a legitimately good small half forward. Max Holmes didn’t play the grand final but was an elite winger this year. Tom Atkins was elite this year.

If we fielded a roughly similar team in both years you could MAYBE build an argument that we just improved because of the rule change

So basically: We won because we were 2 games better than any team in the comp. We won because we belted the next best team by 14 goals in the grand final. We won because we were better than 17 other sides under the rules under which every side played and if you’re still too emotionally incapable of dealing with it, then go and seek help, remind yourself that you’re a human being who was born with a spine, locate it, and strap yourself in for whatever the hell your own club has waiting for it because I’m f***ing sick to death of reading the same group of people trying to avoid the awful truth: we were just too good this year, same as Melbourne were too good last year, Richmond were too good in 17, 19 and 20 and west coast were too good in 2018.

Deal with it.
Great post but just want to say that Brennan Cox is better than Sam De Koning 😉

The answer is this:

Deal with it.

You got one thing right in that post. The use of the word arguably to accompany Jeremy Cameron as the best player in the comp. Although “unarguably not” the best player in the comp might have been more appropriate. Get off Fox Sports mate and actually watch the game. De Koning is not the best young defender. Stengle is not the 2022 best small forward. Tom Atkins is not an elite midfielder. These are players mostly cast into new roles that have done well but have no better claims than a Noah Cumberland just from our players for example. Let them pass a few tests when opposition teams start figuring them out a bit before you label them best in the comp.

But Jeremy Cameron, please. 5 contested possessions per game. 1 contested mark. That is never getting near best player in the AFL status. Many Cats supporters seem to have become completely delusional after winning the flag rather than just 90% delusional as before.

It is tough to have to witness you falling part like this PB. Get a grip on yourself mate. Suddenly all your $200k pa players are the best in the comp. 🤣🤣.

I remember the Tiggies early in the year trying to tell all and sundry that some Gibney/Gibcey kid or something was playing better footy as a KPD than SDK before he got shunted up forward and then dropped. That was a fun time for all.

View attachment 1561739

Lol inferiority complex syndrome so clear for all to see here. Cats supporters trying to get mileage out of a 3rd year KPD having a better season than a 1st year KPD, when the 1st year guy is tracking miles ahead at the same stage. Tangible neediness. 😁

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead of last touch, I would just make it if the ball is kicked and goes over the line without a teammate 10-15m in the area it’s a free for the other team. I think this would make it clear as to what is a free and what isn’t.

I don’t want to see tackles over the line, handballs/ballspills on the boundary give frees to the other team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry, to clarify the rule for last touch in AFLW has to be a kick or handball. Spoils, knock-ons etc… are adjudicated the same was as always with a throw in (unless it’s deemed to have been knocked out deliberately).

Sorry, to clarify the rule for last touch in AFLW has to be a kick or handball. Spoils, knock-ons etc… are adjudicated the same was as always with a throw in (unless it’s deemed to have been knocked out deliberately).

Ah ok fair enough, I don’t watch AFLW. That sounds good tbh. I’d be good with that change.

You got one thing right in that post. The use of the word arguably to accompany Jeremy Cameron as the best player in the comp. Although “unarguably not” the best player in the comp might have been more appropriate. Get off Fox Sports mate and actually watch the game. De Koning is not the best young defender. Stengle is not the 2022 best small forward. Tom Atkins is not an elite midfielder. These are players mostly cast into new roles that have done well but have no better claims than a Noah Cumberland just from our players for example. Let them pass a few tests when opposition teams start figuring them out a bit before you label them best in the comp.

But Jeremy Cameron, please. 5 contested possessions per game. 1 contested mark. That is never getting near best player in the AFL status. Many Cats supporters seem to have become completely delusional after winning the flag rather than just 90% delusional as before.

It is tough to have to witness you falling part like this PB. Get a grip on yourself mate. Suddenly all your $200k pa players are the best in the comp. 🤣🤣.

You're really hurting here. You seem to have a 'Richmond board' view of Geelong players. Doesn't match with reality sorry.

Haha someone just rang the bell to get out of bed in Sleepy Hollow. Delusional Cats posters have been dreaming all night and apparently all their spuds are now guns. 🤣🤣
If you think young players like SDK, Close and Stengle who are the ones who've been mentioned the last few pages are spuds, then I fear Geelong's glorious 2022 premiership triumph has had a far greater impact on you than I first thought (and I thought it already left some real gaping wounds).

If you think young players like SDK, Close and Stengle who are the ones who've been mentioned the last few pages are spuds, then I fear Geelong's glorious 2022 premiership triumph has had a far greater impact on you than I first thought (and I thought it already left some real gaping wounds).
And to think Richmond sacked Stengle🥴

I’ll be honest I thought SDK was a better defender than Gibcus until I found out it’s his 3rd year. You are right at the same age Gibcus is better. Smart money is on him being a better player than SDK in the future. Nothing is guaranteed though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back