Misc Footy Would you accept this parent at your club

Remove this Banner Ad

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Old mates son gets a ban from a major soccer comp for three years , son then plays before suspension finishes and gets ban extended for 5 years.

Son then vents online on Facebook about how unfair ban is. Dad then suggests he plays under another name and even suggests a player who he should play under as this guy is overseas

Dad now wants to be part of an afl club as he knows one of the kids. Should we accept him

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why was the son originally banned?

In my ignorant opinion I'd be turning them away, will only make it worse for other kids and their families.

For running on during another game which he was a spectator to jump in on a punch up

Zurgblade

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't condone what the dad done but I'm sure there are many volunteers in the sporting industry who have done a lot worse then encourage their kids to break rules.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Friends with the boys mother. Assistant coach
I'd steer well clear

An adult wanting a role at a club in junior footy where he has no kid playing and has had no connection with the club previously as a player or anything?

ALARM BELLS

At best it sounds like he's trying to tap the mum. At worst...

Either way it's a no I reckon

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Parents like this are an absolute cancer on sporting clubs.
The less you have to do with them the better.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Not a chance. Soon he will run out of footy codes to jump on by the sounds of it & heaven help whatever or whoever else he finds to “express” himself.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Take Alex Leapai. Was in the Cowboys academy, they had big wraps on him. He would have played in the NRL. In an u18s game (i think it was) he had a fight on field, he got sent off and thought he was hard done by, lost the plot, ko'd his antagonist, ko'd a couple more opponents, and ko'd a couple of team mates who tried to restrain him. He then chased the ref all round the park. Alex just lost the plot. He was subsequently banned for life from RL.

Alex life then lost its focus. He ended up with the wrong crowd, and landed in jail. Another sport turned his life around. Boxing. He got off the grog and other stuff, found a great trainer and found focus again. He eventually fought Wladimir Klitschko for the Heavyweight world title.

Moral of the story; Sometimes forgiveness and a second chance is required to turn someones life around.

Id hear the other side of the story from the parent(s) 1st. There always is one.

People too often get their 'facts' not from the source, but strained through the prejudices of others.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back